Hifiman HE6-SE
May 31, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #1,756 of 3,892
Yup, He Binwu was the project lead back then for the HE-500 and HE-6 and is a co-founder of Hifiman (listening to my HE-500 while typing this :o2smile:). Later, he had health issues, so he had to take a step back from his role but is still with the company according to Dr. Fang: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-m...president-and-ceo-hifiman-electronics.892634/.
I'm not a person to follow folks of audio like those guys in Schiit blogs, but I would be interssted in knowing more about He Binwu. I realized at the some point. He was the one I wanted to know much more about. Info about him is so damn scarce.

One of the bigger difference between OG HE-6 and SE is the bass. Classics presents bass in regards to impact really really well. Like Resolve says, the measurements cannot distinguish that aspect. I have noticed this about bass measurements. It's like macrodynamics, you won't see it in measurements.

It's at the top of the totempole for open-back bass. It's very good quality. It's rare to get such bass quality on a open-back.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,757 of 3,892
How to listen for the difference in bass impact? Is it from sub bass, drums, guitar strings?

I listen to electronic music, with a lot of sub bass, and the He6se (with bass port mod) is just as impactful as my previous OG HE6.

Didn’t get a lot of listening time with the OG before it broke, but I know how Nextra By Deadmau5 sounds since I have listened to that song alot before I got the OG. And I remember how astonishing the bass impact was compared to my other open-back headphones, but I really feel like I got the same sense of astonishing feel whenever I held the He6se a few millimetres over my ears.

I also really like how the He6se plays acoustic guitar, you can feel the vibration, and it’s so realistic.

After watching the comparison review I feel like I need to get the OG back again, but would like to see what others with both headphones think about difference after grill mod and no pad mod or bass port mod.

EDIT: The pass port are more effective with EQ, the slam is back. But yeah I can see the OG had better bass impact without EQ. But EQ’ing the He6se didn’t do much before the added bass port

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,758 of 3,892
How to listen for the difference in bass impact? Is it from sub bass, drums, guitar strings?

I listen to electronic music, with a lot of sub bass, and the He6se (with bass port mod) is just as impactful as my previous OG HE6.

Didn’t get a lot of listening time with the OG before it broke, but I know how Nextra By Deadmau5 sounds since I have listened to that song alot before I got the OG. And I remember how astonishing the bass impact was compared to my other open-back headphones, but I really feel like I got the same sense of astonishing feel whenever I held the He6se a few millimetres over my ears.

I also really like how the He6se plays acoustic guitar, you can feel the vibration, and it’s so realistic.

After watching the comparison review I feel like I need to get the OG back again, but would like to see what others with both headphones think about difference after grill mod and no pad mod or bass port mod.

EDIT: The pass port are more effective with EQ, the slam is back. But yeah I can see the OG had better bass impact without EQ. But EQ’ing the He6se didn’t do much before the added bass port
I'm assuming Hifiman does not make the same type of diaphragm anymore (They've since after the classic era always touted making thinner and thinner and likely more fragile that is likely more carefully crafted for less excursion.). I did a side-by-side and OG HE6 bass is has greater presence with greater impact. Bass quality is just better in every way.

The HE6SE share more similarities to Sundara than the classics. The imaging of the SE is not as vivid or well separated as the OG. Also, OG has depth to the imaging, but SE was lacking such qualities and was more flat in imaging presentation. This is out of multi-bit DAC, which will reveal if a headphone can exhibit 3D depth presentation. I run it out of Yggy, and Yggy is well matched to tame the treble and also bring out the the depth in the imaging if the headphone is capable.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #1,760 of 3,892
Isnt the se smoother to listen to? Or at least the v2. I found the arya had a much more 3d sound stage but came with a treble peak and the forward vocals. Crinacles also said both the 6 screw and arya are peaky for long listening which I dont find witht the se.

May 31, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,761 of 3,892
Isnt the se smoother to listen to? Or at least the v2. I found the arya had a much more 3d sound stage but came with a treble peak and the forward vocals. Crinacles also said both the 6 screw and arya are peaky for long listening which I dont find witht the se.
SE is definitely smoother, sure. I think the tonality is pleasant for long listening. But, it is also obvious that the technicalities is not tops. Imaging is fairly flat and not as distinct. The OG HE-6 can sound treble emphasized depending on the pads and setup. My solution I realized was usage of multi-bit or RDR DACs, that doesn't sizzle up top. And also, wrong solid-state choice will being it out as well.

But also, if you listen to jazz with OG HE-6, you realize why the response is the way it is. It works really well with instrumentals. SE doesn't have the same level of bite for the metal instruments for jazz. So yes, SE is smoother, like it or not.

My current HE-6 OG setup I don't find bothersome as prior setups I've heard of HD800 and there's other headphones that have unpleasant treble. I can only enjoy 800 on a quality tube amp that blocks any prickliness of the treble and enhances the bass. Other than that, out of typical solid-state, it's boring (lacking bass) and unpleasant. Lately, I've listened to the the Shure Aonic 50 which is just a mainstream ANC headphone that people tout as very detailed sounding for a mainstream ANC headphone. But, man is the treble unpleasant. It's tilted so analytical that you really can't enjoy the music. My HE-6 setup is not in that level of treble. If it was, I wouldn't still have the HE-6.

HE-560 was bothersome as well. The 7k was ear-death. So, HE-6 isn't in that nasty level of treble.

So, when HE-6SE was $1700, that was wrong. It seems like people lead on into thinking it was like the original or better. That's not the reality.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #1,762 of 3,892
I joined the HE6se club a couple of weeks ago.

For context, just some of the headphones I've owned over the past couple of years: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, Beyer DT 1990 Pro, Acoustic Research AR-H1, Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, Sennheiser HD 800 S, Hifiman Ananda, Fostex TH-900, and Hifiman Arya.

There's something about the speed and precision of planars that I quickly fell in love with, which have near-ruined any interest I would otherwise have in dynamic driver options. Alas, I did miss the visceral slam that you could achieve with Fostex cans.

It turns out you can have the best of both worlds with the HE6se, assuming you're happy to apply EQ.

I'm not sure if this is "end game" for me, but it sure feels like it right now... at least, until I'm told there's a HE6-killer on the market.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #1,763 of 3,892
Isn't the HE-6 killer known to be the Susvara? :upside_down:

Jun 1, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #1,764 of 3,892
Isn't the HE-6 killer known to be the Susvara? :upside_down:
My reaponse: "I'm not an audiophile. I'm not paying $6k for that!" And then the logic flows to, HE-6 is better than Susvara. Susvara might be worth a comparison if it's priced similarly, but HE-6 is better. Lol. Get my logic? It's a sane one.

I actually am a human with a head together to make good judgements. I'm not an audiophile.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #1,766 of 3,892
From what I've heard: more detail, slightly less bass impact? In which case, it's not of interest to me.

Additionally, the Susvara looks hideous. That aluminium and wood grain combo is seriously naff. I wouldn't want them on my desk.
Why am I not surprised by this with the modern Hifimans? OG HE-6 is plenty detailed and can compete with Utopia in terms of details and imaging. I'm curious and would demo if given opportunity, but cannot buy at that ridiculous price. And not even tempted with buying a used even at half.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,767 of 3,892
I joined the HE6se club a couple of weeks ago.

For context, just some of the headphones I've owned over the past couple of years: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, Beyer DT 1990 Pro, Acoustic Research AR-H1, Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, Sennheiser HD 800 S, Hifiman Ananda, Fostex TH-900, and Hifiman Arya.

There's something about the speed and precision of planars that I quickly fell in love with, which have near-ruined any interest I would otherwise have in dynamic driver options. Alas, I did miss the visceral slam that you could achieve with Fostex cans.

It turns out you can have the best of both worlds with the HE6se, assuming you're happy to apply EQ.

I'm not sure if this is "end game" for me, but it sure feels like it right now... at least, until I'm told there's a HE6-killer on the market.
Well, that may have been a short lived love affair. My left driver developed a faint rattle with low frequencies at high volumes, and tightening the screws beneath the earpad did nothing to fix this.

Paired with the fact the unit initially shipped to me with a broken headband, I may have Hifiman cold feet. Quality control seems extremely poor... as much as I love how these sound, I'm tempted to explore other options instead of replace them with another HE6se unit.

Update: rolling the dice on a replacement. I just love the way they sound too much to seriously consider alternatives. 🤞

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #1,768 of 3,892
I have the HE6SE V2, and have listened to HE6 og, and I am super super happy with the Susvara. :)

That said, I think the V2 is a great great headphone for the adorama sale price! Its the gateway drug....

Jun 3, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,769 of 3,892
I have the HE6SE V2, and have listened to HE6 og, and I am super super happy with the Susvara. :)

That said, I think the V2 is a great great headphone for the adorama sale price! Its the gateway drug....
I think it's widely agreed the Susvara has more detailed treble without any uncomfortableness. How would you compare the bass to the HE6se V2? Any other significant differences you'd note?

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,770 of 3,892
the V2 and Sus sound pretty similar as far as tonal balance, though the Sus is a little more laid back in the upper-mids and treble. Bass levels are similar, but I think the Susvara has just as punchy dynamics and a significant level of improved depth and resolution down low. It does make the HE6SE V2 sound a little smeared I guess. I made some notes about it earlier in this thread and since Resolve has my HE6SE V2 right now, I can't make any present-day side-by-side comparisons until I get it back.

The major differences between the two is just how grand and resolving the Susvara is and it adds more layers of depth to everything.

I preferred the HE6SE V2 over Arya, and Sus over both. The Sus takes the best of both of those headphones and adds more micro-details.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back