Hifiman HE6-SE
May 20, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #1,726 of 3,894
I love my Rag 2 because I can run my dac, turntable, and tape deck into a single amp, and then use that same amp to output to speakers (KEF LS50 Meta + Rythmik F12) and headphones. I love the simplicity of a single unit for all of that. And it sounds great with HE6SEV2.

Would love to get a DAC on balanced inputs as much just to free up RCA inputs for something else. I'd love a Schiit Mani with balanced outputs for the same reason... just to use the balanced inputs on my amp. I'm a newb tho, maybe this makes no sense.

Nice! kinda want to try the ls50 meta since it is the "one" to get right now. but i just back into 2 channel and i'm enjoying my Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 + Hsu ULS 15 combo.

Yeah, i can say i'm a big fan of schiit now. Just look at my pile of it, and its only gonna get bigger. Plus I like the idea of things being made in the US, especially things that are made in California :wink:. As business owner myself I know how hard it is to keep companies and manufacturing plants here. So i give up to the people that stick around. but yeah, modius is good schiit. Has all the input i need for my PC, xbox, and ps, with balanced ouput. All i really need from a DAC.

May 20, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,727 of 3,894
Just received my HE6SE open box from Hifiman, but out of the box I immediately missed that bass punch the OG HE6 gave, after further inspection I noticed the bass from the left driver was noticeably more powerful.

What I can see with my eyes is that the gap between magnets and the diaphragm on the right side is very small, looks like they are touching..

Also tried to measure the decibel with a random app from AppStore which also shows frequency

Right driver:

EDIT: Could burn-in matter? Have anyone else experienced this?
It looks like that the gold conductive traces are touching the magnet, which isn't a good thing. Then again gold is typically non-magnetic, at least when it comes to pure gold. Anyways, with the diaphragm being so close to the magnets, I doubt that diaphragm exhibits proper travel when listening to tracks. Positionally, it is just off compared to the left driver. I would msg @TeamHiFiMAN to see if there is a possibility to an RMA.

May 20, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #1,728 of 3,894
It looks like that the gold conductive traces are touching the magnet, which isn't a good thing. Then again gold is typically non-magnetic, at least when it comes to pure gold. Anyways, with the diaphragm being so close to the magnets, I doubt that diaphragm exhibits proper travel when listening to tracks. Positionally, it is just off compared to the left driver. I would msg @TeamHiFiMAN to see if there is a possibility to an RMA.
I’m currently in contact with their very helpful support team! Typically use a day to get messages back and forth because of the time difference.

But I really hope I don’t have to send it back again, because of corona postage is slow these times, especially with local postage. DHL and FEDEX seems to deliver like normal, but they charge insane prices to regular people for shipping, bigger companies probably get better prices.

Have some experience in soldering, so if they would just ship a naked driver (preferably with wires) I could replace the damaged driver on my own.

Took over 1.5 months for the replacement HE6SE to arrive (sent broken set with local postage, Hifiman use FEDEX to Norway, took about 3 days). Really hoped someone had experienced the same issue and found a fix.

May 21, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #1,729 of 3,894
I fixed the diaphragm which was stuck to the magnet on my replacement HE6SE! So relieved I didn’t had to send it back to Hifiman again, after 1.5 months of intense email refreshes..

I’m not recommending anyone to do what my impatient ADHD brain did. But here it goes...

As I looked at my other driver, I spotted some felt dust which must have fell off my custom made dust cover, so I tried to suck it back out, and the same thing happened to the other driver, so I immediately blew air at it, and it quickly fell into place. So I tried the same on the other driver, didn’t work. I THEN gave i quick hard sucking on the ear pad side of the driver, heard a small crack (probably the tension of the driver coming back to place) and BAM! It looks like the other driver, and the bass performance is now the same.

I don’t think the diaphragm was damaged but I’m playing some songs on medium volume now, so the diaphragm that had been stuck in a weird tension will burn-in and get used to the new movement.

EDIT: I received the answer from Hifiman basically saying I need to pay additional money to replace the HE6SE again. And that they’ve run out of HE6SE so only option was Ananda or Arya. I’m a little disappointed on that answer, when they sent out a faulty unit for replacement. But whatever, it’s working fine now.

Did some mods to my set yesterday and I’m super happy with the sound coming from these!

271C85B5-B708-4AF2-BE2A-8C575C2AF8F7.jpeg6A588D6A-F345-4675-9E15-9C3893518FAC.jpeg
Notice the “bass ports”. Really helped with the bass impact and slam. As I felt the bass was much harder hitting when I held the headphones over my ear with som air gap, I went to search for the open ear pad mod I’ve seen somewhere, but could find it, so I didn’t want to mess with cutting the shape myself, I just took som electric wire insulation (wires removed) and stuck them under the ear pad mounting rings. Now the driver can “breathe", the stock metal grill must also be removed as it constraints the air flow too. Don’t understand why this isn’t coming with the stock headphones, I have seen bass breathing ports on my Fostex TR20P and they slam like hell, so think it is safe modification, just be careful with your sub bass EQ shelf.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #1,730 of 3,894
well let's hope it will last :fingers_crossed:
and should i get my hands one a nice used pair of these ill have to try your "bass ports" XD

May 21, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #1,731 of 3,894
well let's hope it will last :fingers_crossed:
and should i get my hands one a nice used pair of these ill have to try your "bass ports" XD
Yeah, and the "fix" is not for the faint hearted, still a little bit “shaky”. So far so good, but checking the driver after every sub bass note XD

Give it a try and post your findings bro! :D

The thing I was missing most from the OG HE6 was the bass impact, now I think the new HE6SE actually sound better than the HE6. Treble is a lot smoother, and they are easier to drive. Playing perfectly from my A90 with some low shelf Bass boost.

EDIT: It’s not only the bass impact that improved, but all string instruments feels so natural, like you feel the vibration kind of xD I’m just stocked with my new toy

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,732 of 3,894
He6se v2 landed. Coming from Arya which I loved I already like these more. Bass punches harder but treble and voices don't get as edgy as Arya. Also took the grills off, and wow that driver is beautiful but makes me nervous open like that! Wondering if it would be a good idea to put a little mesh and then the 3d printed grill in top. Also I'm waiting on my a30 pro but they get pretty loud on my a50s. Hopefully the a30 will bring that x factor.

May 21, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,733 of 3,894
The thing I was missing most from the OG HE6 was the bass impact, now I think the new HE6SE actually sound better than the HE6. Treble is a lot smoother, and they are easier to drive. Playing perfectly from my A90 with some low shelf Bass boost.
man all those descritptions of the slam from the he6v2 constally lowers my reluctance to buy a used pair of them :sweat_smile:
Also I'm waiting on my a30 pro but they get pretty loud on my a50s. Hopefully the a30 will bring that x factor.
if im not wrong the a30pro makes 6w@32 compared to the 2w@32, so if the general consense of 4w for the he6 is right it should help :D
Hope you can write if it improves the sound cause its in my potential upgrade list from my a3 :wink:

May 21, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,734 of 3,894
I'm running it at about 12-3 o'clock with Spotify but I know with my Flacs it can need a lot more head room. But yes I think a30 will bring even more bass slam. Just from my first listening one of the remarkable things is how this heaphone draws your attention parts of the song that seemed really obvious but it's like your hearing it completely different even coming from Arya. The staging of Arya was massive but diffuse the he6 has images that really stand out but it's not as wide.

I think besides the crazy power requirements the fact that there's 4 screw, 6 screw, se, and se v2 adds a lot of confusion to this heaphone.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #1,736 of 3,894
He6se v2 landed. Coming from Arya which I loved I already like these more. Bass punches harder but treble and voices don't get as edgy as Arya. Also took the grills off, and wow that driver is beautiful but makes me nervous open like that! Wondering if it would be a good idea to put a little mesh and then the 3d printed grill in top. Also I'm waiting on my a30 pro but they get pretty loud on my a50s. Hopefully the a30 will bring that x factor.
Congratulations on your new killer cans! I’ve got the V1 from Hifiman but don’t think there will be any difference in power needed to drive them. For reference I listen to around 83 dBA and PEQ with auto gain lowers -12db, 79% Volume on my iBasso dx160 4.4mm to dual xlr, and high gain to about 1 o’clock on the volume dial.

Give my bass port mod a try, want to see if someone else is noticing any change, or if it is just me.

man all those descritptions of the slam from the he6v2 constally lowers my reluctance to buy a used pair of them :sweat_smile:
The bass is juicy as hell, my T20RP hits harder, but are not as long? Thick? I have no idea how to describe the actual bass difference. Think this is what a audiophile (part time basshead) are looking for.

May 21, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,737 of 3,894
The bass is juicy as hell, my T20RP hits harder, but are not as long? Thick? I have no idea how to describe the actual bass difference. Think this is what a audiophile (part time basshead) are looking for.
that sounds nearly perfect cause my t20rp with shure pads are sometimes to much base for a parttime basehead like me :L3000:

edit: i know that im basic but that that even shows in my bass taste is showing XD

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #1,738 of 3,894
Stopping in for my occasional re-affirmation that these are awesome. Been listening primarily to my desktop speakers (Revels) for a good couple of months now, really only using the Elegias and wireless earbuds when noise blockage is necessary. Pulled these back out tonight for a late-night study session, plugged them into the THX 789 (balanced), turned on the tunes, and was reminded just how 'right' they sound. Natural, effortless, and clear. $700 well spent.

Happy listening, y'all.

May 23, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,739 of 3,894
I fixed the diaphragm which was stuck to the magnet on my replacement HE6SE! So relieved I didn’t had to send it back to Hifiman again, after 1.5 months of intense email refreshes..

I’m not recommending anyone to do what my impatient ADHD brain did. But here it goes...

As I looked at my other driver, I spotted some felt dust which must have fell off my custom made dust cover, so I tried to suck it back out, and the same thing happened to the other driver, so I immediately blew air at it, and it quickly fell into place. So I tried the same on the other driver, didn’t work. I THEN gave i quick hard sucking on the ear pad side of the driver, heard a small crack (probably the tension of the driver coming back to place) and BAM! It looks like the other driver, and the bass performance is now the same.

I don’t think the diaphragm was damaged but I’m playing some songs on medium volume now, so the diaphragm that had been stuck in a weird tension will burn-in and get used to the new movement.

EDIT: I received the answer from Hifiman basically saying I need to pay additional money to replace the HE6SE again. And that they’ve run out of HE6SE so only option was Ananda or Arya. I’m a little disappointed on that answer, when they sent out a faulty unit for replacement. But whatever, it’s working fine now.

Did some mods to my set yesterday and I’m super happy with the sound coming from these!

271C85B5-B708-4AF2-BE2A-8C575C2AF8F7.jpeg6A588D6A-F345-4675-9E15-9C3893518FAC.jpeg
Notice the “bass ports”. Really helped with the bass impact and slam. As I felt the bass was much harder hitting when I held the headphones over my ear with som air gap, I went to search for the open ear pad mod I’ve seen somewhere, but could find it, so I didn’t want to mess with cutting the shape myself, I just took som electric wire insulation (wires removed) and stuck them under the ear pad mounting rings. Now the driver can “breathe", the stock metal grill must also be removed as it constraints the air flow too. Don’t understand why this isn’t coming with the stock headphones, I have seen bass breathing ports on my Fostex TR20P and they slam like hell, so think it is safe modification, just be careful with your sub bass EQ shelf.
That was some awesome debugging and fixing, congrats :)

Yeah, Adorama is out of stock on the HE6SE V2, they don't say it that way, instead it is on "Backorder"...

On Backorder - Expected to arrive by 08/15/2021 Notify me when in stock
https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?origterm=hifiman+he6se+v2&searchredirect=true

Maybe you can ask/arrange with Hifiman to swap for a new production HE6SE V2 in mid-August?

Please keep us up to date on what Hifiman says about the timing of a new production run... and if they know whether Adorama or Hifiman will renew that $699 offer?

Thank you for the awesome posts, photo's and Hifiman info :)

May 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #1,740 of 3,894
Stopping in for my occasional re-affirmation that these are awesome. Been listening primarily to my desktop speakers (Revels) for a good couple of months now, really only using the Elegias and wireless earbuds when noise blockage is necessary. Pulled these back out tonight for a late-night study session, plugged them into the THX 789 (balanced), turned on the tunes, and was reminded just how 'right' they sound. Natural, effortless, and clear. $700 well spent.

Happy listening, y'all.
I see speakers and headphones as two different instruments in our quest for lifestyle balance. Speakers are better all around but headphones brings you into the recording, like a sonic microscope. You "hear" everything. Well driven, the HE-6 is a tube sounding headphone in that it is detailed without being overly harsh with digital sources. I've been in love with the planar sound since the HE-5 made an appearance at a meet some years ago. I feel planars are close to stats with thump. If you have a well laid out speaker setup and proper positioned seating, it is bliss. All else the headphone gives you everything you want and this one scales well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back