Hifiman HE6-SE
May 7, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,696 of 3,880
Hi All,

I've been using my he6se v2 with topping dx7 pro. The sound is little bit bright for me. I am not sure if this because of lack of power or not. Dx7 pro can provide 50ohm 1.6w from xlr output as far as I know. So I am not sure if this power issue or it is related to my taste. Should I invest for an amp or just simply change the headphones :)
Loudness wise , I have no problem. I am currently listening on -21db level. I can't volume up till the end. It would be too loud.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #1,697 of 3,880
Hi All,

I've been using my he6se v2 with topping dx7 pro. The sound is little bit bright for me. I am not sure if this because of lack of power or not. Dx7 pro can provide 50ohm 1.6w from xlr output as far as I know. So I am not sure if this power issue or it is related to my taste. Should I invest for an amp or just simply change the headphones :)
Loudness wise , I have no problem. I am currently listening on -21db level. I can't volume up till the end. It would be too loud.
That's just how topping amps sound.

Try eqing darker first.

May 9, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #1,698 of 3,880
That's just how topping amps sound.

Try eqing darker first.

Hi All,

May 9, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,699 of 3,880
Hi All,

The HFM manual did state that it need 2 w per channel or more though. I have Burson Soloist 3xp and Liquid Platinum and prefer the more powerful Soloist.

May 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #1,700 of 3,880
The HFM manual did state that it need 2 w per channel or more though. I have Burson Soloist 3xp and Liquid Platinum and prefer the more powerful Soloist.
Quote page 4 of owner manual
The HE6se necessitates being used by a narrow range of sources, demanding a recommended 2 watts per channel or more to allow it to achieve its fullest musical potential, only the most capable of headphone amplifiers will do

May 9, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #1,701 of 3,880
Quote page 4 of owner manual
The HE6se necessitates being used by a narrow range of sources, demanding a recommended 2 watts per channel or more to allow it to achieve its fullest musical potential, only the most capable of headphone amplifiers will do
I’ve found a cayin iha-6 amp and bought it as used. It is on the way. I think it would have enough power.

May 13, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #1,704 of 3,880
Gotta love the US where you can sustain powering your headphones with 1kWh amplification :D

May 15, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #1,705 of 3,880
I hear that! I got mine for around $950 on audiogon...hopefully the deals will come back soon, but it looks like they're backordered on Adorama until September.
It looks like Adorama has changed the HE6SE S2 backorder date to one month earlier, August instead of September:

"On Backorder
Expected to arrive by 08/15/2021 Notify me when in stock"

Perhaps Adorama will resurrect the $699 price deal then? :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #1,706 of 3,880
It looks like Adorama has changed the HE6SE S2 backorder date to one month earlier, August instead of September:

"On Backorder
Expected to arrive by 08/15/2021 Notify me when in stock"

Perhaps Adorama will resurrect the $699 price deal then? :)
Yes indeed! I actually just got the month wrong at first glance, it’s been saying August all along.

Hopefully the sale price will remain! I couldn’t imagine paying $1800 for these...as good as they are

May 16, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #1,708 of 3,880
I have a Denon 3500x, could I use this with the he6se? Which speaker out would they go into.? I'm also looking at the a30 pro as a cheap desktop solution

May 16, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #1,709 of 3,880
Greetings just wanted to ask the community if Hifiman still has the quality problems with he6 drivers, because after reading may reviews of it could fall right into my sweet spot. But im not willing to spend 1.8k for a new one and not shure if should buy a used one with some of the reported quality problems.
So now im asking here because im not shure if the reported quality issues are from the first run or if Hifiman still hasnt maneged to build this phone to a decend standart o_O

edit:
and if the quality has improved is a jot 2 enough to drive it to statisfation if you have first hand knowlege?
thx Ben

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #1,710 of 3,880
Greetings just wanted to ask the community if Hifiman still has the quality problems with he6 drivers, because after reading may reviews of it could fall right into my sweet spot. But im not willing to spend 1.8k for a new one and not shure if should buy a used one with some of the reported quality problems.
So now im asking here because im not shure if the reported quality issues are from the first run or if Hifiman still hasnt maneged to build this phone to a decend standart o_O

edit:
and if the quality has improved is a jot 2 enough to drive it to statisfation if you have first hand knowlege?
thx Ben
Someone else will give you a better answer, but I have owned an Arya and 560SE with no issues. I also get a sense by reading forums that Hifiman is more responsive when things go wrong. Anyway, I just bought a used HE6SEv2 and hoping for the same experience you're seeking.

As far as power, I have been given two relevant opinions by two different camps I respect. One side says, JOT2 and Topping A30 Pro are enough to power them and be impressed. The other side says, some things may power it "enough", but you won't get the full HE6 experience without a speaker amp.

I believe both people (the second camp are used to super high-end equipment so I think it's just a subjective thing), but JOT2 has a 4-6 wait time and I wanted the full experience, so I bought a used Adcom GFA-555 II on ebay.

I bought a updated cable, the honeycomb grills and the speaker taps and all will arrive by next week-end. I'm pscyhed.

This is the kind of post I'd hoped to have run into when I was researching this a week ago, so I hope this is helpful in some way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back