Hifiman HE6-SE
Apr 5, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #1,591 of 3,900
I wish this headphone wasn't so hard to find without getting gouged for double or more of the Nov 2020 sale price. I have a Jot 2 sitting on my desk waiting to power up these bad boys!
I hear that! I got mine for around $950 on audiogon...hopefully the deals will come back soon, but it looks like they're backordered on Adorama until September.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #1,592 of 3,900
I wish this headphone wasn't so hard to find without getting gouged for double or more of the Nov 2020 sale price. I have a Jot 2 sitting on my desk waiting to power up these bad boys!
I waited a year to get them myself, waiting for a sale to come through, and ended up getting both the HE6SE V2 + Ananda on sale, and the Sennheiser HD660s on sale too. YOLO. :beerchug:

Perhaps you can get the Ananda now - it should fit "Spocks Ears" far better - and you can enjoy $300 off of the long time $999 price for the Ananda. :wink:
https://www.headphones.com/products/hifiman-ananda

There is also another power hungry Hifiman headphone on sale at Adorama, the HE560 V4 is $269, down from $899, IDK for how long...:
https://www.adorama.com/hmhe560v4.html?emailprice=t

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #1,593 of 3,900
Apr 6, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #1,594 of 3,900
Perhaps you can get the Ananda now [or] the HE560 V4.
I had the Ananda for some time and enjoyed it - once of the most comfortable headphones I've ever slapped on - but ended up selling it to fund the habit. I've considered the HE560 based on price alone but holding on to hope that I can find a seller.

I hear that! I got mine for around $950 on audiogon...hopefully the deals will come back soon, but it looks like they're backordered on Adorama until September.
There's a pair on there now for $950. The seller has sold multiple HE6SEs. I offered $800 last night (citing the Adorama sale price) and woke up to a big fat decline. Do you think $950 is worth it?

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,595 of 3,900
I had the Ananda for some time and enjoyed it - once of the most comfortable headphones I've ever slapped on - but ended up selling it to fund the habit. I've considered the HE560 based on price alone but holding on to hope that I can find a seller.

There's a pair on there now for $950. The seller has sold multiple HE6SEs. I offered $800 last night (citing the Adorama sale price) and woke up to a big fat decline. Do you think $950 is worth it?
From my own purchase receipt on Adorama:
Sub Total $699.00 Tax $69.39 Shipping $31.25 Order Total $799.64, or $800 from Adorama

Among the wide ranging scalpers we've all experienced lately, $150 isn't as outrageous as some, but I know they couldn't sell here on Head-fi as the rules don't allow profiting from turnover of products - scalping.

On one hand it is a "moral" decision to reward a scalper, on the other it is an economic decision - $150 + shipping more isn't much of a burden over the recent discounted price, and $950 is less than half the current price $1799 (including taxes and shipping), so it's really up to you.

If you are looking for a recommendation between the Ananda and the HE6SE V2, I can tell you they are much different sounding and fitting - you may want to plan your budget to get the Hifiman $125 headband if the new V2 headband doesn't fit you well - some complain of a hot spot on the top for their fit; I don't have that problem and wear them for hours. I am going to try the headband upgrade myself due to the weight distribution - I think I might prefer the "Ananda" headband on the HE6SE V2.

And, you have 7 days to return it if you don't like it - rules on sale. :)

Also, I don't see any explicit mention of the transferability of the Adorama / Hifiman Warranty, so I would ask both Adorama and Hifiman before purchasing to make sure you can get service - and ask what each need to confirm the purchase date for warranty service. I usually ask for the original or at least a copy of the sellers original purchase receipt to use for warranty service, if the warranty is transferable to you from him.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,596 of 3,900
Yeah I agree with @hmscott, he's clearly trying to make money from having purchased a few pairs on Adorama during their last sale. I've been communicating with him about the purchase, and he seems to be a really nice guy who will realy give thoughtful responses to questions (if you pay his asking price haha).

But the headphones are definitey worth the asking price, if not more. The frequency response is absolutly amazing, even out of the box, but you will probably want to make some mods. Aside from the headband, you might want to replace the grills with the honeycomb grills on ebay, which costs $40 now ($50 with shipping). And if you're like me and everyone else on this thread, you'll also search for the right ear pads, maybe for a while! I personally need bigger ear holes for my big ears...

On the other hand, if you have the patience and want to see if Adorama has another sale in August, waiting could pay off. The only downside to this sale is dealing with Hifiman quality control. You don't get a warranty buying from audiogon, but will from Adorama. That alone might make the difference. With my pair, the left 3.5mm socket is fidgety with any cable that's not the stock Hifiman cable, which is fine with me because I happen to like it. The problem is if there are any issues down the road I know I have to pay for repairs. It's always a risk!

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,597 of 3,900
Argh, pulled the trigger.
61147134.jpg

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #1,598 of 3,900
After living with the He6se V2/Rag2 combo for a couple of months I go back and forth. Half the time I love it... and half the time I feel l'm missing some bass. I've got the honeycomb grills, stock pads.

Maybe I just prefer a darker headphone? About 50% of my listening is vinyl, so EQ isn't really a solution, unless I wanted to introduce hardware EQ into the chain. That's harder with multiple sources and the Rag2. I'm 50/50 with speakers headphones with the Rag2, so I love that I can use the same chain to drive either.

I have the HD-650 and like how it's a little thicker on the low end. But when bouncing from the HD-650 to the HE6SE it's almost like the HD-650 is "gritty"... like seeing through a screen window. Maybe I'm crazy. The HE-6 has more clarity that I love.

For some reason I have it in my head that the TH-900mk2 might be a good alternative. Anyone here have an HE6SE and the TH-900mk2 and can describe how they are similar, how they are different? A strong preference for one or the other?

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,599 of 3,900
After living with the He6se V2/Rag2 combo for a couple of months I go back and forth. Half the time I love it... and half the time I feel l'm missing some bass. I've got the honeycomb grills, stock pads.

Maybe I just prefer a darker headphone? About 50% of my listening is vinyl, so EQ isn't really a solution, unless I wanted to introduce hardware EQ into the chain. That's harder with multiple sources and the Rag2. I'm 50/50 with speakers headphones with the Rag2, so I love that I can use the same chain to drive either.

I have the HD-650 and like how it's a little thicker on the low end. But when bouncing from the HD-650 to the HE6SE it's almost like the HD-650 is "gritty"... like seeing through a screen window. Maybe I'm crazy. The HE-6 has more clarity that I love.

For some reason I have it in my head that the TH-900mk2 might be a good alternative. Anyone here have an HE6SE and the TH-900mk2 and can describe how they are similar, how they are different? A strong preference for one or the other?
I’ve had better experiences with my HE6SE hooked up to my TA-30 tube amp (see signature for tubes used).

maybe something to look into...maybe

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,600 of 3,900
I don't have the HE6-SE, here in Europe they're like 1600 or 1700 1800 Euros. Crazy money considering what guys in America were paying when they were on sale.

I would love to have a pair of HE-6, never heard any hifiman cans and these look to have a lot of fans. But unless D.B. Cooper's suitcase winds up on my patio, unlikely to happen :frowning2:

The TH900mkii is lightning fast, slammin' bass. Really a great all around set of cans that don't need any EQ. The headstrap hurts my head, parts are expensive, the finish on the earcups is delicate. It's a fine quality build, not a tough build. It is not a dark set of cans nor is it bright. It is perhaps the most engaging, lively set of headphones I have heard.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,601 of 3,900

Audeze LCD 3f has a darker (beefier?) sound. Also depending on the genre. I like HE6SE (open grill + Ether pad) for classical music, and LCD 3f for pop/edm.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #1,602 of 3,900
Audeze LCD 3f has a darker (beefier?) sound. Also depending on the genre. I like HE6SE (open grill + Ether pad) for classical music, and LCD 3f for pop/edm.
For me the 3F really demands my attention. It can be fatiguing and I can't do anything else when I'm listening to them. It is not nearly as dark as the 2C. But the Audezes remind me somewhat of the Sennheiser House Sound of the 1970s and 1980s and yeah, in general they're darkish. And maybe because of that they feel like they're on tubes even when they're not. It's odd because if you listen close the 3F is plenty fast and very resolving. It just has some minute decay that makes it sound thicker. Maybe that's what you meant about beefier?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,603 of 3,900

I run my HE-6SE from a vintage speaker amp direct from the speaker taps and I assure you, fed right these are BEASTS with BASS. The HE-6SE is capable but has to be fed right..............they continue to impress me in all areas but the bass is a high point for me.

I have the equivalent of the TH-900 - I have an original Denon LA7000 and owned the TH900 at the same time. The Fostex driver family allows for a great bass headphone but I miss nothing with my HE-6SE going back and forth between them. They are that capable. And I am an audiophile basshead no question. Love that thump.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #1,604 of 3,900
I run my HE-6SE from a vintage speaker amp direct from the speaker taps and I assure you, fed right these are BEASTS with BASS. The HE-6SE is capable but has to be fed right..............they continue to impress me in all areas but the bass is a high point for me.

I have the equivalent of the TH-900 - I have an original Denon LA7000 and owned the TH900 at the same time. The Fostex driver family allows for a great bass headphone but I miss nothing with my HE-6SE going back and forth between them. They are that capable. And I am an audiophile basshead no question. Love that thump.
I guess if the Rag2 can’t pull the bass out of the He6se, then maybe it’s not the headphone for me. I had hoped 15W at 50 Ohm should be plenty. Not too interested in changing the amp. Maybe I’ll snag the th900mk2 and compare myself with the same amp.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,605 of 3,900
I guess if the Rag2 can’t pull the bass out of the He6se, then maybe it’s not the headphone for me. I had hoped 15W at 50 Ohm should be plenty. Not too interested in changing the amp. Maybe I’ll snag the th900mk2 and compare myself with the same amp.

Its not necessarily a power thing. The HE6SE and most hifiman are fairly neutral headphones, so they will present the flavor of your amp's characteristics too. If you have a warm amp, these will sound warmer. If you have a bright amp, these will sound brighter.

Lets not forget, Hifiman recommends (not requires) just 2 Watts at 50 Ohms. Dont get carried away with the power ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back