Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 29, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #977 of 3,900
After finally spending some more time with my He6se, basX, and A90 I can conclude I am pretty disappointed in the He6se with both amps. I have done tests with my siblings and cousins, all with no prior experience with high end audio gear and a pretty strong consensus, the he6se hurts their ears but the instruments are very clear. When used with the BasX the consensus was it was better that it didn't hurt their ear but they ALL thought the HD660S was the more expensive headphone and sounded the best. I'll admit that the HD660s has the soundstage that I wish the Hifiman had, the vocalist wasn't in your head but at a good enough distance where the clarity was still extremely good, and best of all the treble wasn't uncomfortable. With the hifimans I can enjoy the details the HD660s can't offer but only for a couple of songs before my ears need a rest. After nearly a month with both headphones I have to say I too prefer the HD660s quite a lot more.

My only conclusion on the possibly to why the Hifimans aren't as impressive to me is likely due to the amps I am using the A90, and the BasX. Just like another user who has both amps mentioned they both weren't impressive with the He6se, I too have to agree. I feel pretty desperate to give the He6se a better chance with a different amp like the jotunheim but I fear the I may go too far down the rabbit hole and my wallet isn't going to have any of it. So just my amateur 2c on the He6sev2, avoid the topping A90 and BasX amps.

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #978 of 3,900
After finally spending some more time with my He6se, basX, and A90 I can conclude I am pretty disappointed in the He6se with both amps. I have done tests with my siblings and cousins, all with no prior experience with high end audio gear and a pretty strong consensus, the he6se hurts their ears but the instruments are very clear. When used with the BasX the consensus was it was better that it didn't hurt their ear but they ALL thought the HD660S was the more expensive headphone and sounded the best. I'll admit that the HD660s has the soundstage that I wish the Hifiman had, the vocalist wasn't in your head but at a good enough distance where the clarity was still extremely good, and best of all the treble wasn't uncomfortable. With the hifimans I can enjoy the details the HD660s can't offer but only for a couple of songs before my ears need a rest. After nearly a month with both headphones I have to say I too prefer the HD660s quite a lot more.

My only conclusion on the possibly to why the Hifimans aren't as impressive to me is likely due to the amps I am using the A90, and the BasX. Just like another user who has both amps mentioned they both weren't impressive with the He6se, I too have to agree. I feel pretty desperate to give the He6se a better chance with a different amp like the jotunheim but I fear the I may go too far down the rabbit hole and my wallet isn't going to have any of it. So just my amateur 2c on the He6sev2, avoid the topping A90 and BasX amps.

I'd give cheapo vintage receivers a go with an adapter cable. You would probably just need unterminated cable to use with the vintage terminals, to 4 pin XLR. At this point, you don't have anything to lose really. Try local thrift shops :)

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #979 of 3,900
@DeafAudiophile

Before you sell your HE-6. Try a simple mod

1. Remove outer grill and dampening

2. Add one layer of gauze on the outside of each driver (You can get it at any Walgreens or CVS)

The driver is super sensitive to any dampening and I really had a moment of astonishment when toying with gauze. I saw some guy try it with an HE5 and thought I’d try it for fun...

Are you using the Basx with the jumpers in place?

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #980 of 3,900
I'd give cheapo vintage receivers a go with an adapter cable. You would probably just need unterminated cable to use with the vintage terminals, to 4 pin XLR. At this point, you don't have anything to lose really. Try local thrift shops :)
Money!! lol. I am at the point though where I've spent more on the equipment to power the headphones than the headphones themselves but I guess it's mainly in my poor choice of combination. I think the closest thrift store near me would be the salvation army and goodwill so I guess I can give it a go but not sure how successful I'll be. I already made some taps of my own but I can't attest to their quality but hopefully they'll work. I just hope I figure everything out before the holiday return period since I was hoping for a HD800/Arya before the He6sev2 deal popped up. I might at this point just keep the HD660S and find some floor standing speakers that can impress me more than my Airmotiv 5.

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #981 of 3,900
@DeafAudiophile

Before you sell your HE-6. Try a simple mod

1. Remove outer grill and dampening

2. Add one layer of gauze on the outside of each driver (You can get it at any Walgreens or CVS)

The driver is super sensitive to any dampening and I really had a moment of astonishment when toying with gauze. I saw some guy on sbaf try it with an HE5 and thought I’d try it for fun...

Are you using the Basx with the jumpers in place?

1. I have removed the gill before but it wasn't for me. Sacrificed too much detail for some soundstage.
2. Haven't tried gauze before but I can't say it's really a permanent solution?

Yes I have the BasX with the jumpers and in "amps that can drive he6se" post I mentioned it really wasn't for me. Sounded boring.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #982 of 3,900
1. I have removed the gill before but it wasn't for me. Sacrificed too much detail for some soundstage.
2. Haven't tried gauze before but I can't say it's really a permanent solution?

Yes I have the BasX with the jumpers and in "amps that can drive he6se" post I mentioned it really wasn't for me. Sounded boring.

I get what you mean. You should never keep a headphone you don’t really enjoy. The HE6 really is dynamic like nothing else with mods. I listened to Yosi Horikawa - “Timbres” and my mind changed about how a headphone should sound. It must include sledge hammer bass that rattles your brain to mush :)

I ended up selling my 6screw, but I know it has more potential than most think...

I’ve also listened to evey totl headphone to date. Yes HE-1, Susvara, HEKse, SR1a, Utopia, 009s, LCD4. Yada yada. I have heard them all.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #983 of 3,900
My custom set of grilles I purchased off of eBay for my HE6se V2's just arrived. I guess, they sound more open. It's hard to tell to be honest. They do look cooler. When I took the original grilles off I did notice they had a screen on them, which could negatively affect the sound.

IMG_0708(1).jpg

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #984 of 3,900
Is HE6SE V2 finally a super-HE500? Everyone seems to agree that HE6 isn't, no matter what version with less bass, less SS and more resolution. So much that pretty much every HE6 owner keeps a HE500 anyway and HE6SE V1 would be a downer.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #985 of 3,900
Is HE6SE V2 finally a super-HE500? Everyone seems to agree that HE6 isn't, no matter what version with less bass, less SS and more resolution. So much that pretty much every HE6 owner keeps a HE500 anyway and HE6SE V1 would be a downer.
It's not a super HE-500 at all. The HE-500 is warmer, less detailed, has thicker sounding mids and is very musical. The HE6se V2's sound more open, more detailed, cleaner sounding across the frequency spectrum, and has faster more impactful bass, with better attack. They are two different headphones to my ears.

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #986 of 3,900
It's not a super HE-500 at all. The HE-500 is warmer, less detailed, has thicker sounding mids and is very musical. The HE6se V2's sound more open, more detailed, cleaner sounding across the frequency spectrum, and has faster more impactful bass, with better attack. They are two different headphones to my ears.
Figures, thanks! How heavy is HE6SE V2 please? HE500 is 540g and HE6 520g FWIR, Hifiman like to go cheap on magnets these days so don't tell me anything less than 500g please 🤤

I'm afraid I would be disappointed by any kind of HE6 tbh coz I really adore HE500 to produce electronica with its thunderous bass and thick+sick mids, I also read that V2 SE had more bass than V1 so there's my hope :xf_eek:

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #987 of 3,900
Figures, thanks! How heavy is HE6SE V2 please? HE500 is 540g and HE6 520g FWIR, Hifiman like to go cheap on magnets these days so don't tell me anything less than 500g please 🤤

I'm afraid I would be disappointed by any kind of HE6 tbh coz I really adore HE500 to produce electronica with its thunderous bass and thick+sick mids, I also read that V2 SE had more bass than V1 so there's my hope :xf_eek:
The new headband really distributes the weight evenly. It also has thicker padding so it’s more comfortable to me than the V1 and the older HE6 headbands. As far as sound goes, the HEKse V2’s is really, really good when properly powered.

Dec 31, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #988 of 3,900
The new headband really distributes the weight evenly. It also has thicker padding so it’s more comfortable to me than the V1 and the older HE6 headbands. As far as sound goes, the HEKse V2’s is really, really good when properly powered.
Sure but not dropping serious cash on this kind of QC with 1y warranty only and $700 was already pushing it to say the least, would love to know the weight of HE6SE V2 if you ever get the chance please in order to get an idea whether they went cheap on magnets again.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #989 of 3,900
Sure but not dropping serious cash on this kind of QC with 1y warranty only and $700 was already pushing it to say the least, would love to know the weight of HE6SE V2 if you ever get the chance please in order to get an idea whether they went cheap on magnets again.
This is the weight they have listed. I wouldn’t say they went cheap on the magnet structure but the use of less metal plays a part as well. The old headband and yoke consisted of more metal. It was also heavier metal in comparison. For $700 dollars you’re not going to find this kind of performance in a headphone.

1FCC79C9-881A-41F5-A932-0D797DF175B2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back