Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #946 of 3,896
Dec 17, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #947 of 3,896
I don't know a HFM round cup that not better with no rear screen. Also it's easy to improve them with pads and cables. Other mods are a bit more complex. For instance the HE-500 and HE-6 really need the fuzzor mod, But it doesn't work with the HE-4XX, 6se, 5se and others. Most lovers of tight bass enjoy my mods with dynamat. Bass heads not at all. The think you have to keep in mind with HFM is that the supporting pieces are often below average in terms of quality - but that the core engines are often brilliant work.

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #949 of 3,896
Bought one of Adorama's $699 deals and received it the other day - and yes, I have a V1 as well. Have not done any A/B listening yet but listened to the V2 last night for about an hour and am mega impressed with the bass. These things THUMP................haven't taken off the grills yet or put any other pads on this one but thus far very happy with it. The color is so reminiscent of the HE-400 frame. New headband (padded nicely) seems comfy at least for the hour last night.

More to come..........oh, and feeding these from speaker taps of a vintage Pioneer Spec system with the Spec 2 amp @ 250wpc.

So pulled off the grills last night and put on Ether 2 suede pads for a test period. Those stock pads are not worthy of these headphones.

I plan on trying the suedes, the Ether 2 perforated pad, maybe the stock Ether 2 pad, the Ether angled pad that bagwell359 recommends (which I liked on the V1 unit but didn't love the comfort in comparison to the Audeze Vegan pads), Audeze Vegan pads and maybe some Alpha pads from Dan Clark Audio, all of which I have on hand. Thus far the Ether 2 velour pads are super comfy and love the sound profile.

Guessing these will sound even better after a couple hundred hours of play time as well.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #950 of 3,896
The difference with the grills off is not subtle. It really opens up the soundstage and yields an amazing sound signature even with the stock pads that come on it (though I still intend to pad roll LOL).

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #951 of 3,896
Been playing Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dreams and being swept away by the sonic bliss!!!

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #952 of 3,896
Received HE-6se, which completes my 6 collection. HE-6se came kinda modded. new grill and MrSpeaker's earpads. I'm waiting for parts to modd the v2. The HE-6 has Dekoni pads and thats as far as i'll take, don't want any damage.

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #953 of 3,896
Seems like the price went back to $1799.

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #956 of 3,896
So I recently removed the grills to see what all the hype was about involving a noticeable difference in soundstage and I have to say it is noticeable. Note I am not as educated or experienced as many of you so these are all my novice thoughts.

For the songs I listened to the vocals with the grill on felt as if the vocalist was inside your head or within a very close proximity and without the grill it put some distance away from the vocalist. I felt having the vocalist in close proximity did provide clearer vocals but there were often certain high notes that can be a little discomforting. Without the grills I yearn a little for the clearer vocals but I don't have to worry/deal with any of the discomforting notes; it felt like I was listening to my HD660S but with better detail.

Having the grills off did allow me to increase the volume a bit more without any discomfort but possibly from the wider soundstage it was a bit more difficult to isolate certain instruments or sounds. I felt with the grills I could easily zone in on any sound and hear it with clarity and detail but without the grills I felt I was chasing but sometimes never catching them.

I'm currently listening through an Asus Muse mkii dac into a Topping A90 amp with all of the songs I listened to ripped directly from CDs I bought in FLAC format through ASIO with foobar2000. I currently have the Emotiva BasX on the way to see if there's truly a different experience with a speaker amp. I am very impressed with the He6sev2 so far coming from a HD650 but I can't say I am blown away yet.

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #957 of 3,896
So I recently removed the grills to see what all the hype was about involving a noticeable difference in soundstage and I have to say it is noticeable. Note I am not as educated or experienced as many of you so these are all my novice thoughts.

For the songs I listened to the vocals with the grill on felt as if the vocalist was inside your head or within a very close proximity and without the grill it put some distance away from the vocalist. I felt having the vocalist in close proximity did provide clearer vocals but there were often certain high notes that can be a little discomforting. Without the grills I yearn a little for the clearer vocals but I don't have to worry/deal with any of the discomforting notes; it felt like I was listening to my HD660S but with better detail.

Having the grills off did allow me to increase the volume a bit more without any discomfort but possibly from the wider soundstage it was a bit more difficult to isolate certain instruments or sounds. I felt with the grills I could easily zone in on any sound and hear it with clarity and detail but without the grills I felt I was chasing but sometimes never catching them.

I'm currently listening through an Asus Muse mkii dac into a Topping A90 amp with all of the songs I listened to ripped directly from CDs I bought in FLAC format through ASIO with foobar2000. I currently have the Emotiva BasX on the way to see if there's truly a different experience with a speaker amp. I am very impressed with the He6sev2 so far coming from a HD650 but I can't say I am blown away yet.
The complete removal will impact any detail. The trick is adding some reverb without losing that expansive staging. You'll see many mesh designs that aren't as solid as the original plating. Some are doing it for unique looks but the tuners find the sweetspots. I listen to a lot of acoustic and progressive rock and enjoy the more open presentation. If I were a small venue fan of jazz clubs, as an example, I don't think it would be as good a fit.
1608687970406.png

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #958 of 3,896
The complete removal will impact any detail. The trick is adding some reverb without losing that expansive staging. You'll see many mesh designs that aren't as solid as the original plating. Some are doing it for unique looks but the tuners find the sweetspots.
Finally, something I can emphasize with. I didn't like the sound with the grill off. The imaging took a dive and it felt like there needs to be some level of sound containment or the sound seems to just jump all over the place with the grill off.

I read everybody stating that grill off is an improvement, but I didn't see it that way.

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #960 of 3,896
The complete removal will impact any detail. The trick is adding some reverb without losing that expansive staging. You'll see many mesh designs that aren't as solid as the original plating. Some are doing it for unique looks but the tuners find the sweetspots. I listen to a lot of acoustic and progressive rock and enjoy the more open presentation. If I were a small venue fan of jazz clubs, as an example, I don't think it would be as good a fit.
Did you make that rear grille pictured in your post? Also, can you provide the size of the mesh that's use there?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back