Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 15, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #916 of 3,903
Sadly, that's the same cable that ships with HEKse and Susvara.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #917 of 3,903
Sadly, that's the same cable that ships with HEKse and Susvara.
They are all trash in my book and these cans are in Desperate need of an aftermarket cable.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #919 of 3,903
Wow, they are selling a $6000 headphones with a crappy $10 cable?
Yeppers. Well you do get two... one 1/4 one 4 pin xlr.

And the pads you receive with 6se are built extremely similarly to the Palipad.

That being said, the HEK series and the Susvara are the real deal as far as sound is concerned. It's just silly and a bit depressing that they don't spend more in parts to have the cables, pads etc better match the stellar prices they charge for these.

Dec 15, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #920 of 3,903
Not to shift the latest conversation, but anyone worries about the new cable? It can be bended easily (and might break later?)

That looks a lot like the crud cable that came with my 6se v1. The only cable u get with that kit that's got possible use is the SE to 4 pin adapter cord. Now I never used it, but it could have utility.

I dunno about weight, magnet strength and all that, but I did have a 6 screw with no pad and no back on it sitting right next to my 6se v1 and magnets and traces looked the same. But we do know the membrane is different and with the different resonances from different pieces (plus the missing 1/4 cloth on the 6 screw) changes the tuning a great deal.
Yeah, they wear out very quickly. I replaced my stock cable very quickly.

When i was on the loaner tour last year. The cable had a few splits in it already, not sure how long the tour went on for, but it was less than a year. The cable works fine and sounds good, but feels terrible and is not going to last.

Custom Cans standard cable sounds well better and its not falling apart either, The pads are perhaps a bigger bone head move by them. They work on some other cans but they make the 6se sound like really poorly.

Dec 15, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #921 of 3,903
Wow, they are selling a $6000 headphones with a crappy $10 cable?

Cut em a break. You can get them open box for $3800. Ha ha.

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #922 of 3,903
But we do know the membrane is different and with the different resonances from different pieces (plus the missing 1/4 cloth on the 6 screw) changes the tuning a great deal.
Don't forget the lack of the center reinforcement bar on the magnets

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #923 of 3,903
Don't forget the lack of the center reinforcement bar on the magnets

yes correct, HE-500 has it also. I felted mine, but it does add weight, and changes sound. so do they increase rigidity above the 6se? Is the body of the 6se more rigid? It is different.

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #924 of 3,903
I just received the HE-6SE V2 that I purchased on the Adorama special. Sound is impressive. I already took off the grills, which improved soundstage quite a bit. I'm looking to swap pads. I already ordered the Brainwavz Sheepskin Angled Pads. But from what I'm reading here, the general consensus is that the DC Ether Pads are the best for these headphones. I've seen recommendations for both the Ether Angled Pads (pleather) and the Ether 2 Pads. Can anyone give me a recommendation of one of these Ether pad models over the other? Also, do I need an adapter ring to connect these to the headphones? Do you know a source for quickly and cheaply getting an adapter ring? Thanks for your help with this.

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #925 of 3,903
I just received the HE-6SE V2 that I purchased on the Adorama special. Sound is impressive. I already took off the grills, which improved soundstage quite a bit. I'm looking to swap pads. I already ordered the Brainwavz Sheepskin Angled Pads. But from what I'm reading here, the general consensus is that the DC Ether Pads are the best for these headphones. I've seen recommendations for both the Ether Angled Pads (pleather) and the Ether 2 Pads. Can anyone give me a recommendation of one of these Ether pad models over the other? Also, do I need an adapter ring to connect these to the headphones? Do you know a source for quickly and cheaply getting an adapter ring? Thanks for your help with this.
There is a V2 from these?
What is the difference to V1?

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #926 of 3,903
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #927 of 3,903
It’s sad when Sendy Avis’s are built better.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #928 of 3,903
Bought one of Adorama's $699 deals and received it the other day - and yes, I have a V1 as well. Have not done any A/B listening yet but listened to the V2 last night for about an hour and am mega impressed with the bass. These things THUMP................haven't taken off the grills yet or put any other pads on this one but thus far very happy with it. The color is so reminiscent of the HE-400 frame. New headband (padded nicely) seems comfy at least for the hour last night.

More to come..........oh, and feeding these from speaker taps of a vintage Pioneer Spec system with the Spec 2 amp @ 250wpc.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #930 of 3,903

Recently I got mine from Aliexpress in two weeks. Cheap (~2 after public coupon) but not quick.

I am curious about the Ether 2 pads. Please report back when you test them. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back