Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 3, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #826 of 3,887
We'll pretend you didn't use a flash. Those look very nice.

Where is LFF when there is a revival! :wink:
I really need to take another picture..... :smile:

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #828 of 3,887
Yeah, they are even a little bit harder to drive than my Susvara’s. I’m moving the volume knob up a little more to reach a satisfactory sound level. But boy do they sound good out of my modded FA-10.

I ended up using the biggest gun I have for this beast. My V281.. really really good for gaming BF4 between all the gunfire, explosions (tanks, rpgs, hellfire rockets, footsteps, vehicle engines, ambient noise, voices.. nothing gets lost on a crowded chaotic gameplay. Very very impressive.

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #831 of 3,887
Does anyone with the new HE-6se know if the older headbands work? I'm still undecided if I want to keep this new headband.

Yeah bought it first time it hit $699. Not a killer headband but good enough I never notice it.

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #832 of 3,887
I cannot control my hand this morning and ordered the HE6se, after I saw the XLR<->banana plug in the previous pages. Can't wait to test on my Marantz MM7025 (140w per channel).

I also heard that not all stereo amps work well with HE-6, and the power doesn't matter (that much...)

8 Class A watts is worth more the 500 AB watts

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #833 of 3,887
Mine just arrived. Man these cans are hard to drive. This is the only can that I can max out the volume on my Darkvoice.

My most important test.
Deepest Bass = Wow... so effortlessly done.

Darkvoice are all or primarily OTL amps, right? If yours is, for sure not the right amp for the 6se. Think SS Class A or Class AB 8 wpc (at 50 ohms).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #834 of 3,887
I just received my pair from Adorama, no issues so far. They are beautiful and more comfortable than what I was expecting.

And surprisingly, I can drive them easily with my Liquid Platinum. I have also ordered an adapter from LQi cables because my goal is to drive them directly from my Exposure 3010s2 integrated amp.

Time will tell, but from what I heard so far, they are probably one of the best deal on the market at $699.

Runs laps over the Ananda, If it had the same headspace as my modd'ed HE-500's does it would crush the Arya too, as it is - near tie, but not at this price.

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #835 of 3,887
Runs laps over the Ananda, If it had the same headspace as my modd'ed HE-500's does it would crush the Arya too, as it is - near tie, but not at this price.
Personally rather buy the he6se at arya MSRP than arya at 699... I cant stand the arya for my personal preferences. they sound horribly unnatural, stabby(overly bright), and horrible timber.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #836 of 3,887
Personally rather buy the he6se at arya MSRP than arya at 699... I cant stand the arya for my personal preferences. they sound horribly unnatural, stabby(overly bright), and horrible timber.

I know 3 cans that don't need tuning and/or EQ: Voce, 007, Susvara. The Arya w/o EQ I find somewhat in the direction you say. With EQ its a lot better. Still I have a 6se, HEX v2, and 500 but no Arya...

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #837 of 3,887
I know 3 cans that don't need tuning and/or EQ: Voce, 007, Susvara. The Arya w/o EQ I find somewhat in the direction you say. With EQ its a lot better. Still I have a 6se, HEX v2, and 500 but no Arya...
I just got the HE6SE as a "just can't pass it up" deal. I used to have a 6 screw HE6 but it was awhile ago. I'm curious of your opinion of the 6se and the HEXv2. I notice a lot of difference in sound between the 6SE and my HE1000se. The 6se surely brings the bass, but I don't find it as speedy and quick as the HEKse. Still a great sounding phone. I sold my Susvara so it's good to keep at least 1 pair of phones to give my amp a good workout.

What kind of EQ do you use on the 6SE and also on the HEXv2? I'm interested in getting the best sound out of them. I think I would like to EQ brand new phones like this over modding. I usually mod phones I get used.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #838 of 3,887
I just got the HE6SE as a "just can't pass it up" deal. I used to have a 6 screw HE6 but it was awhile ago. I'm curious of your opinion of the 6se and the HEXv2. I notice a lot of difference in sound between the 6SE and my HE1000se. The 6se surely brings the bass, but I don't find it as speedy and quick as the HEKse. Still a great sounding phone. I sold my Susvara so it's good to keep at least 1 pair of phones to give my amp a good workout.

What kind of EQ do you use on the 6SE and also on the HEXv2? I'm interested in getting the best sound out of them. I think I would like to EQ brand new phones like this over modding. I usually mod phones I get used.

HEKse is nearly in the class of the Susvara, so yes its well better than the 6se.

The HEX v2 needs lots of EQ. In terms of mods it's nuggets to get the cups lined up to ear level (gets most out of treble, image details), and cable (that stock stuff is brutal). Even so plus EQ, its a relaxing, middle of the night can. Cohesive and relaxing - forget Led Zeppelin.

Se needs cable change, screen off, pad change, dynamat and EQ. Its got a critical drop at 1750 Hz that has to be addressed - that's like 70% of the battle, so an in-line attenenuator (single ended only).

Changing the tuning through mods is different than EQ. The long cup HFM's besides cable and pads don't need much in terms of mods. The round cups esp the older ones such as HE5-LE, HE-500, HE-6 def do.

Final note: the modern tools for reporting FR are good, however the settings that they promote are garbage under 100 Hz. They use the combination of a bad listening room, and the current taste in over modulated bass notes to create these (so far of the ~8 I've examined I'd define them BOMBASTIC basshead garbage. The HFM of the quality we are talking are fine with a +1.7 - +2.8 lift from 30 Hz down. Over about 150 Hz - fine. Except that every planar rings, some a lot more than others - that's why a waterfall graph along with pro analysis can help. Most HFM ring quite a bit someplace between 8.5 - 10.0 kHz, and that's got to be quieted. Fuzzor, screens off starts the process - EQ (down -3.5 - -5.0 in a very narrow band seems to do it).

I use Toneboosters - a digital parametric EQ. Don't recommend analog in-circuit types. Comes from the LG v40->TIDAL->uapp->Toneboosters->DAC part of my chain. There are lots of other EQ's available. I swore off of them for like 40 years, but there is degradation for normal recordings. Even Hi Res is about a 50/50 split. Sometimes Hi-Res no EQ, sometimes Hi-Res and EQ. You lose the bit perfect part - but its still higher quality than regular CD.

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #839 of 3,887
Mine just arrived. Man these cans are hard to drive. This is the only can that I can max out the volume on my Darkvoice.

My most important test.
Deepest Bass = Wow... so effortlessly done.

The He6ses do not like tube amps from my experience. They like nice powerful SS amps. So far I have found them paired best with the Schiit Vidar.

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #840 of 3,887
I ended up using the biggest gun I have for this beast. My V281.. really really good for gaming BF4 between all the gunfire, explosions (tanks, rpgs, hellfire rockets, footsteps, vehicle engines, ambient noise, voices.. nothing gets lost on a crowded chaotic gameplay. Very very impressive.

How does the V281 sound with them for music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back