Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 5, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #841 of 3,880
The He6ses do not like tube amps from my experience. They like nice powerful SS amps. So far I have found them paired best with the Schiit Vidar.
Think the issue with tubes is finding an amp that can power the he6se properly. I know a few people running them off tube amps that love it.

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #842 of 3,880
The OG HE6 had the nicest color of any hifiman headphone ever made for sure. Wish they'd bring it back...
new he560 v4 has it
7.jpg

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #843 of 3,880
Think the issue with tubes is finding an amp that can power the he6se properly. I know a few people running them off tube amps that love it.

I'm running them off of ZMF Pendant and love it. Plenty of power.

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #844 of 3,880
I'm running them off of ZMF Pendant and love it. Plenty of power.
I personally didnt like the he6se off my pendant. Had about 4 amps at the time. The pendant seem to suffer bass bloom (farty bass whatever you want to call it) as the volume went up. Could be the tubes I had who knows.

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #845 of 3,880
I personally didnt like the he6se off my pendant. Had about 4 amps at the time. The pendant seem to suffer bass bloom as the volume went up. Could be the tubes I had who knows.

Yeah I like to listen at low volume, although He6se on high Z sounds clean even with the volume up for me. Sounds more like a good ss. I tried them on A90 which is also very powerful, and didnt like it that much.

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #849 of 3,880
Do you know what tube amps they are?
Mogwai og, mogwai se seems to be able to hold it's own on tube side. My 8600s as long as you dont blast the music seems fine. At super loud levels will start to distort. I'm using it off the speaker taps with an he adaptor. Couldnt get it to sound right off the headphone tap for some reason.

The mogwais both seem to be able to crank to max volume on the he6se without hitting deafening levels so if you listen very loudly would need an even more powerful tube amp. I believe my buddies are around the 1-2 o'clock range on normal listening.

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #850 of 3,880
Mogwai og, mogwai se seems to be able to hold it's own on tube side. My 8600s as long as you dont blast the music seems fine. At super loud levels will start to distort. I'm using it off the speaker taps with an he adaptor. Couldnt get it to sound right off the headphone tap for some reason.

The mogwais both seem to be able to crank to max volume on the he6se without hitting deafening levels so if you listen very loudly would need an even more powerful tube amp. I believe my buddies are around the 1-2 o'clock range on normal listening.

I'm usually 9 o'clock or below on the Pendant on high Z. Pendant distorts with all of my headphones when cranked high up, and no more so with the he6se.

The problem I have with the se6se is that they sound way too unnatural and off timbre. Typical planar characteristics but way more pronounced. And the transient response is quite average IMO for a planar. Avantone planars, which I've purchased (returned due to fit and build issues) recently sounded more natural.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #851 of 3,880
I'm debating getting the 6se's but am curious what are your thoughts on the 500s (with fuzzor mod) versus these?

6se's are better. Better def, better bass, everything better EXCEPT: 500 has the headspace width, depth and placement way over the 6se (modded I mean), and 6se needs more juice, its about 10 db less efficient than the 500. Oh yes, that dip centered at 1750 Hz on the 6se has to be corrected. Mods won't do it. EQ or an in-line filter will.

Also this assumes the current 6se's were built as well my gen.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #852 of 3,880
I'm debating getting the 6se's but am curious what are your thoughts on the 500s (with fuzzor mod) versus these?
No, no. When will you join the TC team?

And then, join the CFA cult.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #854 of 3,880
Haha, I'm actually gonna be joining the cfa cult soon enough. As for the TC, I really can't get over the comfort issues..
I should really get a cut of the commission. That's like 6 builds I got going. LOL

You'll break eventually. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #855 of 3,880
I just got my HE6se in today.... I think I might sell my TH900 :L3000:

Although I feel like it needs more juice when going out of my Burson Soloist original... guess I'll try speaker taps from my Dayton APA150.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back