Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 7, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #466 of 3,903
Easily. In high gain about 11o’clock on the volume pot is ear splitting level.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #467 of 3,903
I have both the A-100 and the HE6se. Also purchased on a great sale a few weeks ago. They sound very nice together. The A100 is a warm sounding amp which compliments the HE6 very nicely.
What do you think about the A100 compared to other amps? I got the A100 long time ago but when I compared it to the Jotunheim I found that the Jot was much more detailed. On the A100 many details were lost. It wasn't very obvious from the first listen, I don't think my A100 is defective or anything, but after listening a few times on the A100 and the Jot I stuck with the Jot. That was with my HE500. I haven't re-evaluated the A100 ever since.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #468 of 3,903
My A100 is the newer version with the headphone jack outputting the full power. With jumpers installed. While it might not be the most detailed it is very dynamic. Also I like the slightly warm signature. While I felt the Jotunheim had plenty of power it is slightly 2 dimensional and neutral to slightly bright.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #469 of 3,903
Getting a good matching amp for the HE6/HE6se is not about the ability to play at ear splitting level, most amp can do that and more. I don’t know how to explain it other than it is about playing with both authority, fineness and realism at the same time with a power demanding headphone. A headphone that is power hungry but also demand top class quality to really shine.

I have had an AGD Master 9 since 2013 and I have had a Marantz PM11 since 2013 and earlier this year a got a Simaudio Moon 600i. All amp can play much louder than I ever want to listen too. Still they don’t sound equally good. The Simaudio Moon 600i isn’t head and shoulder better because it can play louder or have more power VS my other amps.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #470 of 3,903
Ear splitting levels isn't an indication of compatibility but that wasn't the question asked. And the idea of spending the kind of money a Simaudio commands for the HE6se doesn't fly for me. I think for the $700 I paid for the HE6se the Jotenheim or the A100 are nice matches. I really didn't hear a huge improvement with my HeadAmp GSX mk2 or my Woo WA5. But to each his own. Some of my other headphones get much more listening time, so I'm not an authority on the HE6se.

Dec 7, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #471 of 3,903
My A100 is the newer version with the headphone jack outputting the full power. With jumpers installed. While it might not be the most detailed it is very dynamic. Also I like the slightly warm signature. While I felt the Jotunheim had plenty of power it is slightly 2 dimensional and neutral to slightly bright.
My A100 is the same. I bought shortly after this version came out. I like neutral. Maybe that's why we have opposite opinions. But I felt that with the A100 I didn't hear slight details that I heard with the Jot. Same DAC, same headphones. That's regardless of tonality. Maybe I will try the A100 again with the HE6-SE and see what I hear now.

Dec 7, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #472 of 3,903
I would agree the Jotunheim is more detailed. I am sensitive to treble on some headphones. I find the HE6se a little bright for my tastes out of say the HeadAmp GSX mk2. I do like the dynamics and musicality from the A100, even if it isn't the most revealing. Probably why I have a variety of headphones and amps. I may feel differently next week, or tomorrow. Such a personal hobby, that's what makes it a journey not a destination.

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #473 of 3,903
What do you think about the A100 compared to other amps? I got the A100 long time ago but when I compared it to the Jotunheim I found that the Jot was much more detailed. On the A100 many details were lost. It wasn't very obvious from the first listen, I don't think my A100 is defective or anything, but after listening a few times on the A100 and the Jot I stuck with the Jot. That was with my HE500. I haven't re-evaluated the A100 ever since.
What tracks did you find the Jot more detailed? I'm interested since I have both the Jot and A100 hooked up to my Bifrost MB 5 with a splitter and would like to see if I hear the same differences between my two amps. The only real difference I heard personally was the A100 doing bass better in terms of control, but very minor differences overall at the same volume.

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #474 of 3,903
Got the HE adapter today, and can say that my Bifrost MB/Saga/Vidar combo is really nice with the HE6SE. Using passive mode with the Saga right now, will try a few different tubes later.
The bass seems more extended with this setup compared to the THX AAA 789

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #476 of 3,903
Dec 9, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #477 of 3,903
Got the HE adapter today, and can say that my Bifrost MB/Saga/Vidar combo is really nice with the HE6SE. Using passive mode with the Saga right now, will try a few different tubes later.
The bass seems more extended with this setup compared to the THX AAA 789
Nice, a bit jealous of that setup. Do you have plans to plug in directly to the speaker taps of the Vidar and compare that to using the HE adapter? Would be interested in hearing those results if you do end up doing that.

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #479 of 3,903
I am planning to try that, yes. Just want to try with the adapter for a while first.

When you try it, I'd be surprised if you didn't notice a clear improvement straight from the speaker taps....................

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #480 of 3,903
I have a French Q balanced speaker tap adapter and a Hifiman HE-Adapter and the difference in sound is not as much as one assumes at least to my ears. I use both in different setups. With the more powerful Burson Timekeeper amp I use the HE-Adapter. With the Burson Bang amp I go straight off it’s speaker taps. There is a difference in the amps topology and they sound different. When I listen to the HE6se’s in either setup I still feel like I’m listening to the HE6se. The Timekeeper is the better power amp and the HE6se’s lets me hear that. To me it just demonstrates the HE6se’s ability to resolve and hear those slight differences in your upstream gear.

Both of these power amps are more powerful than any dedicated headphone amp. Either one of them can bring out every ounce of performance the HE6se has to offer. I just like the reassurance of the HE-Adapter when I’m using the Timekeeper. I don’t want to damage the headphone drivers. I can’t go pass 9 o’clock on thing and the performance of the HE6se surpasses anything I’ve heard from a headphone amp. Be careful though, once you hear what the HE6se’s can actually do from a speaker amp going back to a headphone amp will make them sound lack luster. It’s hard to unhear what you just heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back