Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 10, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #481 of 3,903
Be careful though, once you hear what the HE6se’s can actually do from a speaker amp going back to a headphone amp will make them sound lack luster. It’s hard to unhear what you just heard.
Good thing I have 3 Vidars then. One for the HE6SE and two for the 1.7i
I still like how they sound out of Jotunheim and THX AAA 789 though. I’d actually bring one of those on vacation with me, but probably not a Vidar and preamp

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #482 of 3,903
Good thing I have 3 Vidars then. One for the HE6SE and two for the 1.7i
I still like how they sound out of Jotunheim and THX AAA 789 though. I’d actually bring one of those on vacation with me, but probably not a Vidar and preamp
Nice, there are headphone amps that can play the HE6se and the Susvara’s for that matter. It’s just that you know there is more sound that can be had from them, which why there is so much talk about using speaker amps in the first place. I like how both sounded from my Pro iCan/Hugo2 combo. But when I added the Timekeeper power amp to the mix things got interesting to say the least.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #484 of 3,903
Nice, there are headphone amps that can play the HE6se and the Susvara’s for that matter. It’s just that you know there is more sound that can be had from them, which why there is so much talk about using speaker amps in the first place. I like how both sounded from my Pro iCan/Hugo2 combo. But when I added the Timekeeper power amp to the mix things got interesting to say the least.
I probably won’t be trying any Susvaras unless I hit the lotto. And even then I’d be more tempted to try a pair of LCD4 or Raal

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #485 of 3,903
I probably won’t be trying any Susvaras unless I hit the lotto. And even then I’d be more tempted to try a pair of LCD4 or Raal
I owned the LCD-4’s and they are very good headphones. They do a lot of things well but I couldn’t get pass that upper mid/lower treble dip. It has less of a dip in sound than all the previous Audeze products but it’s still there. The gap in sound is even more prevalent when you compare it to a headphone like the Susvara’s or even the HE6se. They both have a more balanced sound in comparison. I sold the LCD-4’s in favor of the Susvara’s.

The Raal’s were simply not my cup of tea. They very are unique looking and sounding headphones. They might be even harder to drive than both the Susvara’s and the HE6se’s. I heard the Raal’s being driven by a 100 watt Hagel amp. Even then I thought both Hifiman headphones sounded better than the Raal’s. But everyone hears differently and the Raal’s are worth a demo at least.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #486 of 3,903
I owned the LCD-4’s and they are very good headphones. They do a lot of things well but I couldn’t get pass that upper mid/lower treble dip.
I have a pair of LCD-4z's on the way so I will probably offer some comparisons to the HE-6 SE's once they arrive and have broken in a bit. I've heard of the upper mid and lower treble dip too and am interested in how I'll perceive it / if it will bother me. At some point I'm also interested in trying EQ with both headphones as that's not something I've really explored before.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #487 of 3,903
I owned the LCD-4’s and they are very good headphones. They do a lot of things well but I couldn’t get pass that upper mid/lower treble dip. It has less of a dip in sound than all the previous Audeze products but it’s still there. The gap in sound is even more prevalent when you compare it to a headphone like the Susvara’s or even the HE6se. They both have a more balanced sound in comparison. I sold the LCD-4’s in favor of the Susvara’s.

The Raal’s were simply not my cup of tea. They very are unique looking and sounding headphones. They might be even harder to drive than both the Susvara’s and the HE6se’s. I heard the Raal’s being driven by a 100 watt Hagel amp. Even then I thought both Hifiman headphones sounded better than the Raal’s. But everyone hears differently and the Raal’s are worth a demo at least.
Yes, that’s my issue with the LCD2s for some tracks. That’s why I like the hifiman better in general. Though I still also love my GS2000e., at least when I don’t need that planar bass.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #488 of 3,903
I have a pair of LCD-4z's on the way so I will probably offer some comparisons to the HE-6 SE's once they arrive and have broken in a bit. I've heard of the upper mid and lower treble dip too and am interested in how I'll perceive it / if it will bother me. At some point I'm also interested in trying EQ with both headphones as that's not something I've really explored before.
A little EQ works well for me with the LCD2s. The Audeze filters they have in Roon seems to correct that dip as well

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #489 of 3,903
Yes, that’s my issue with the LCD2s for some tracks. That’s why I like the hifiman better in general. Though I still also love my GS2000e., at least when I don’t need that planar bass.
How do the GS2000e's compare to the HE6se's sound wise? I have an interest in the GS3000e's

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #490 of 3,903

Did the Raal have any distortion ? i see some feedback that it distort with heavy bass

Dec 10, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #491 of 3,903
Did the Raal have any distortion ? i see some feedback that it distort with heavy bass
I didn't hear any distortion on them because I thought they were bass lite to begin with. The tracks I selected weren't bass heavy songs. But they had enough bass in them that the Raal's should have reproduced it in some form. The Raal's just sounded thin, the notes didn't have any weight to them and music itself had no body when played through them. The Sonoma Model One system bested them easily to my ears.

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #492 of 3,903
How do the GS2000e's compare to the HE6se's sound wise? I have an interest in the GS3000e's
Mainly that the bass rolls off at ~60 Hz, but it doesn’t cause a problem for me in general. I still listen to a lot of rock with them. Things like bass guitar and drum kits are still very well reproduced. You just don’t get that sub bass you can feel with planars. The soundstage and imaging seem better to me on the GS2000e, but they probably do best at moderate volumes. They will distort more and can be a little harsh at the top end on some tracks. No where near as harsh as some Grados like 325e, and as long as they’re not cranking it’s great. The HE6SE can crank up and still no distortion, at least not with a Vidar. If I try it with like the Asgard 2, my favorite amp for the Grados, it will distort on the hifimans at higher volumes.

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #493 of 3,903
Mainly that the bass rolls off at ~60 Hz, but it doesn’t cause a problem for me in general. I still listen to a lot of rock with them. Things like bass guitar and drum kits are still very well reproduced. You just don’t get that sub bass you can feel with planars. The soundstage and imaging seem better to me on the GS2000e, but they probably do best at moderate volumes. They will distort more and can be a little harsh at the top end on some tracks. No where near as harsh as some Grados like 325e, and as long as they’re not cranking it’s great. The HE6SE can crank up and still no distortion, at least not with a Vidar. If I try it with like the Asgard 2, my favorite amp for the Grados, it will distort on the hifimans at higher volumes.
Grados excel at rock and metal reproduction. They're as good at handling those genres as any headphone I've heard. The HE6se's aren't bad but fall a little short in midrange energy to my ears to be amongst the best

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #494 of 3,903
I didn't hear any distortion on them because I thought they were bass lite to begin with. The tracks I selected weren't bass heavy songs. But they had enough bass in them that the Raal's should have reproduced it in some form. The Raal's just sounded thin, the notes didn't have any weight to them and music itself had no body when played through them. The Sonoma Model One system bested them easily to my ears.
Thats a bummer specially for the price , it was interesting concept

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #495 of 3,903
Easily. In high gain about 11o’clock on the volume pot is ear splitting level.

Took the words right out of my mouth...completely my experiences with the HE-6SE and Susvara and the GS-X mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back