Hifiman HE6-SE
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #451 of 3,903
Yeah, I am most likely going to pull the trigger on the HE6se. I am currently coming from a HE500 and while I have listened to the Susvara pretty extensively, I think that I would still be happy with something like the HE1000v2 because I still have no problem with my HE500. Amplification will not be a problem as I have a SUSY Dynahi coming in. When it comes between the HE6se and the 1000v2, the biggest determining factor will be whichever one has less sibilance and more subbass rumble and presence.

I've had to abandon the 6SE for now. I bought a parametric EQ to see if I could fix the issues at 1.5 kHx, 3.8 kHz, 6-7ish kHz, 13 kHz. If I only need to nail the 3.8 kHz issue to enjoy them, then I'll make an inline filter, and mothball the EQ (got it cheap).

I've gone back to my modded HE-500 and HEX v2 for relief. If I can't change the issues then it'll go down to the HD-600 level with 5% of my listening. And the the other two will split the 90% - with the 500 getting a bit more than the HEX v2. The HE-500 is a great can, battling for top spot back in 2011 (Inner Fidelity), and it battles with the HD-600 as the best used can under $425. If you have both, there isn't much you can play that isn't very well served.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #452 of 3,903
I've had to abandon the 6SE for now. I bought a parametric EQ to see if I could fix the issues at 1.5 kHx, 3.8 kHz, 6-7ish kHz, 13 kHz. If I only need to nail the 3.8 kHz issue to enjoy them, then I'll make an inline filter, and mothball the EQ (got it cheap).

I've gone back to my modded HE-500 and HEX v2 for relief. If I can't change the issues then it'll go down to the HD-600 level with 5% of my listening. And the the other two will split the 90% - with the 500 getting a bit more than the HEX v2. The HE-500 is a great can, battling for top spot back in 2011 (Inner Fidelity), and it battles with the HD-600 as the best used can under $425. If you have both, there isn't much you can play that isn't very well served.
i dont remember, you use stock pads ?

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #453 of 3,903
i dont remember, you use stock pads ?

Started with stock, mixed in about 20 hours of MrSpeakers Ether Angled paired with removal of rear screens. The change gives a much wider and somewhat deeper soundstage. Also cuts down a bit of cruft in the lower mids and evens out the highs over 8kHz. No help for the murder spike at 3.8 kHz however. Have been using aftermarket cable but may go back to stock - but that's after I play with the EQ, and the EQ isn't enough.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #454 of 3,903
So I got my order in the mail from LQi cables yesterday. I received a new balanced cable and a balanced to banana plug cable. Both of which use silver plated copper. Initial impressions are that the build quality is much better than the wonky cable that Hifiman includes and the materials feels nice as well. It's much nicer than any stock cable I've used with any of my other headphones. I don't notice any obvious tonality changes switching to this cable but I may try switching back to the Hifiman cable for comparison once I've completed the break in period for these headphones.

I have about 75 hours on these headphones so will try to give more impressions of the sound once I get to the recommended 150 hour mark. Also, I did the grill mod over the weekend (I just placed some tulle net fabric over the drivers and stuck the plastic rings on top to secure the material) and it definitely creates a wider soundstage. It also sounded like the treble got a bit more air to it which was nice as well. I've since reverted to the stock grills since I wasn't comfortable leaving them modded as it seemed like the driver could be easily damaged although I have materials now to make a more permanent grill replacement with a steel mesh that is more open then the one that Hifiman supplies. I will probably try that out this weekend if I have time.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #455 of 3,903

So you prefer the He500 over the 1000v2? Also, for the HE6se, do you know if the LFF mod is an available service for it?

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #456 of 3,903
So you prefer the He500 over the 1000v2? Also, for the HE6se, do you know if the LFF mod is an available service for it?

Umm, I didn't recall making that statement (maybe I mistook HEK for HEX). But I do like v2 and SE better than v1. Dollar for dollar the HE-500 is mighty. But the Arya is a common sense version of the HEK. If I could get a used one for $1k i might place that ahead of the HE-500. But the original v1 at the original price - no.

I was wondering about LFF. He quit for some time, then started again, and I don't know where he sits now.

Surprised HFM hasn't bought up the formula. They could paste on a price rise on every can they make, and drive competitive audiophiles mental. Sending back HEKSE for a $799 process....., sending back an Arya...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #457 of 3,903
Umm, I didn't recall making that statement (maybe I mistook HEK for HEX). But I do like v2 and SE better than v1. Dollar for dollar the HE-500 is mighty. But the Arya is a common sense version of the HEK. If I could get a used one for $1k i might place that ahead of the HE-500. But the original v1 at the original price - no.

I was wondering about LFF. He quit for some time, then started again, and I don't know where he sits now.

Surprised HFM hasn't bought up the formula. They could paste on a price rise on every can they make, and drive competitive audiophiles mental. Sending back HEKSE for a $799 process....., sending back an Arya...

Oh I misread, I thought you wrote HEKv2 but I see you wrote HEXv2. The original price on the HEK is pretty crazy. But I have been wondering about the LFF mods on the 6se, since it technically uses the same driver so if he were to offer his services again, theoretically he should be able to do work on the 6se...though I've never heard the Code-6 so I don't know how it would compare to any other offerings out there.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #458 of 3,903
XI Audio Formula S is a nice amp but tbh its not worth the asking price because it is not transparent enough , abyss deserve a better amp,
btw i enjoy reading all your replies :)
Thanks, that's why I leaning towards the Benchmark HPA4. From what I've been reading about it has a clean, uncolored, transparent sound with some punch in the low end. I haven't heard a headphone yet that I haven't boosted the bass on :)

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #459 of 3,903
Oh I misread, I thought you wrote HEKv2 but I see you wrote HEXv2. The original price on the HEK is pretty crazy. But I have been wondering about the LFF mods on the 6se, since it technically uses the same driver so if he were to offer his services again, theoretically he should be able to do work on the 6se...though I've never heard the Code-6 so I don't know how it would compare to any other offerings out there.

Me neither, but a Code-6 goes up for a sale about 1.5 times a year, people love them.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #460 of 3,903
Yeah, I am most likely going to pull the trigger on the HE6se. I am currently coming from a HE500 and while I have listened to the Susvara pretty extensively, I think that I would still be happy with something like the HE1000v2 because I still have no problem with my HE500. Amplification will not be a problem as I have a SUSY Dynahi coming in. When it comes between the HE6se and the 1000v2, the biggest determining factor will be whichever one has less sibilance and more subbass rumble and presence.
The HEK V2 to my ears has very good bass extension. The lowest registries can heard and felt more on the HEK V2 in comparison to the HE6se's. The HE6se's just hits harder than the HEK V2's. THE HEK V2's also surrounds you with sound more so than the HE6se's. Another difference is in the transient delivery. The transients are softer on the HEK V2's in comparison to the HE6se's, which is why I feel they offer something different sound wise to each other. You have a tough decision on your hand if you're only going to choose one because they both are worthy of ownership.

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #462 of 3,903
Just ordered HE 6 SE from a great sale I only just learned about. Can't wait to try them out. I orignally bought the Emotiva A100 specifically to drive the HE-6 I hoped to one day own.

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #463 of 3,903
I have both the A-100 and the HE6se. Also purchased on a great sale a few weeks ago. They sound very nice together. The A100 is a warm sounding amp which compliments the HE6 very nicely.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #464 of 3,903
Started with stock, mixed in about 20 hours of MrSpeakers Ether Angled paired with removal of rear screens. The change gives a much wider and somewhat deeper soundstage. Also cuts down a bit of cruft in the lower mids and evens out the highs over 8kHz. No help for the murder spike at 3.8 kHz however. Have been using aftermarket cable but may go back to stock - but that's after I play with the EQ, and the EQ isn't enough.
I dont think all leather is perfect if you have peeks , i had the same issue with the stock pads though i dont know which frequency exactly like you , now i think it sound best with the Dekoni HE Elite Hybrid though it look like the stock but to my ears it sound better , give it a shot , it always go on sale in Massdrop

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #465 of 3,903
I have both the A-100 and the HE6se. Also purchased on a great sale a few weeks ago. They sound very nice together. The A100 is a warm sounding amp which compliments the HE6 very nicely.
Can the HeadAmp GSX mkii power them ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back