Hifiman HE6-SE
Nov 27, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #421 of 3,900
Anyhow there are times in the dark with no price tags differences are heard, but change a pre-amp, move equipment from room to room? Bang, not the same. It's a shell game. I play it when A is better than B in situation X, that's about as far as you can go. There is no magic cable for $5,000 that's better than all others. All situational, the hierarchy is very flat. If you don't have time and patience to try them ou - go 02 free copper, speaker spades that get changed a lot - rhodium plated, look for price and lack of marketing gunk.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #422 of 3,900
More power will always be better for these headphones, but considering the colder tilt of these headphones, Id say itd be made harder to find a perfect match with power + sound signature. If youre going to stick with Brystons, the 2BLP a brilliant amp to power these with, If you're not willing to find an amp for these, the HE500, while a bit thicker in the lows, is good compromise (which is why I'm selling my HE6SE).

HE500's can be made to be leaner.

1. Sorbothane and/or dynamat around the driver edge from the screen side - alternating better. Lets lower bass shine, controls damping notably from 70-200 Hz.

2. Pairing screen removal/replacement with new pads (MrSpeakers Ether Angled - give flatest response, and best soundstage). You lose a bit of bass doing that, but the Q is very good, and the soundstage and depth are much better.

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #423 of 3,900
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/
Norne Audio started its black friday discount , which is the only discount the do the whole year
I ordered balanced Draugv3 for my hifiman headphones

Nov 29, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #424 of 3,900
Nov 29, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #425 of 3,900
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/
Norne Audio started its black friday discount , which is the only discount the do the whole year
I ordered balanced Draugv3 for my hifiman headphones
They certainly make absolutely beautiful cables, but too pricey for my tastes. Hope they exceed your expectations. Let us know when you get a chance to give them a good listen.

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #426 of 3,900
I would also be interested to know what you think of the Norne cable. I also think they're a bit too pricy for my budget but they certainly look nice.

With all of the black friday discounts I have ordered a few things: A new silver coated copper balanced cable from LQi cables, a speaker tap adapter also from LQi cables, a Burson Bang, and materials to do the grill mod. I will update with impressions on these items once they arrive.

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #427 of 3,900
I would also be interested to know what you think of the Norne cable. I also think they're a bit too pricy for my budget but they certainly look nice.

With all of the black friday discounts I have ordered a few things: A new silver coated copper balanced cable from LQi cables, a speaker tap adapter also from LQi cables, a Burson Bang, and materials to do the grill mod. I will update with impressions on these items once they arrive.
I’m a fan of LQi cables but with the HE6se’s I probably would’ve went with the copper version. The HE6se’s don’t lack any treble detail but could use what a copper cable cable brings to the table; enhanced low frequencies and some midrange body.

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #428 of 3,900
I’m a fan of LQi cables but with the HE6se’s I probably would’ve went with the copper version. The HE6se’s don’t lack any treble detail but could use what a copper cable cable brings to the table; enhanced low frequencies and some midrange body.
That's good to know. This is my first aftermarket cable for headphones so I'm not really sure what to expect but it can't be any worse than the one Hifiman provides. If it turns out that it makes it a bit brighter than what I have currently I may give the copper cable a try.

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #429 of 3,900
The Samma3a review used the "Micro iDSD Black Label" to power them, which might explain why the amplitude is so high on that graph, it isn't powerful enough to drive them properly. The peak isn't as high in the other graph and the lows are more linear which would suggest better amping in my opinion.

The other graph is from an early review over on the Head-Fi review page and its +11 db over 500 Hz and 15 db over 1.5 kHz. Being short of power could fudge the bass readings, but midrange? The reviewer along with others make note of this issue. Maybe there are some major variability issues, but the review was from Aug 2018, and mine are recent. A simple line filter to suppress the 4k issue is liable to further sink the notable dip at 1.5 kHz. I'm afraid an EQ is required for my pair.and for other owners as well.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #430 of 3,900
They certainly make absolutely beautiful cables, but too pricey for my tastes. Hope they exceed your expectations. Let us know when you get a chance to give them a good listen.
tbh i am really satisfied with the current setup though i know my Master 9 sound so much better with balanced output , so am sending my not working byerdynamic balanced cable for re-termination with the correct plug and i am expecting great results , the Norne is a side upgrade for me

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #431 of 3,900

I have a friend who just bought Dana Lazuli Reference cable and he has Norne cable , he said to me the Norne is not far behind (for his taste) , so am expecting a lot and i hope it will de-thrown my kimber axios which i use with the HE1000se because the kimber is very expensive for just a cable.

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #432 of 3,900
you have a really nice collection , How is the Susvara compared to the HE6se in the bass/treble and the sound stage ?

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #433 of 3,900
you have a really nice collection , How is the Susvara compared to the HE6se in the bass/treble and the sound stage ?
The Susvara’s can do what the HE6se’s can do with better, tighter and more defined bass. The bass is also faster and more layered. The HE6se’s I feel do have more a little more impact. But the Susvara’s can be made to have just as much impact with EQ while retaining all the other attributes that make it better in the bass department. When I had the Pro iCan I added XBass+ to them and the bass was better than the Abyss Phi’s bass to my ears. I thought the Susvara’s were more comfortable and had a much better midrange so sold I the Abyss Phi’s. The Abyss TC’s are another story.

The treble on the Susvara’s is also better. The Susvara’s has so much air and clarity around the notes in comparison to HE6se’s. The HE6se’s have very good treble. But they don’t offer the extension or the airy treble of the Susvara’s. Nor does the HE6se’s have the Susvara’s sense of space or its 3D soundstage depth and width.

Listening to the Susvara’s reminds me of listening to electrostatic headphones. The speed, the delivery, and the transparency are all there. Except the Susvara’s have better dynamics and more body to my ears. Electrostatic headphones I felt sounded a little lifeless and less musical in comparison. This includes the SR-009’s I heard but didn’t own and SR-007 MK2’s which I owned briefly.

If it wasn’t for the Susvara’s the HE6se’s would be right up there today as being Hifiman’s top headphone. The Susvara’s drivers are a huge improvement over the HE6se’s. With that said, the HE6se’s or the original HE6’s are still in my top 10 and worthy of being purchased. I’m still breaking mine in and they are starting to sound fuller and the midrange is starting to come alive. I say get a pair before they are gone!

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #434 of 3,900
The Susvara’s can do what the HE6se’s can do with better, tighter and more defined bass. The bass is also faster and more layered. The HE6se’s I feel do have more a little more impact. But the Susvara’s can be made to have just as much impact with EQ while retaining all the other attributes that make it better in the bass department. When I had the Pro iCan I added XBass+ to them and the bass was better than the Abyss Phi’s bass to my ears. I thought the Susvara’s were more comfortable and had a much better midrange so sold I the Abyss Phi’s. The Abyss TC’s are another story.

The treble on the Susvara’s is also better. The Susvara’s has so much air and clarity around the notes in comparison to HE6se’s. The HE6se’s have very good treble. But they don’t offer the extension or the airy treble of the Susvara’s. Nor does the HE6se’s have the Susvara’s sense of space or its 3D soundstage depth and width.

Listening to the Susvara’s reminds me of listening to electrostatic headphones. The speed, the delivery, and the transparency are all there. Except the Susvara’s have better dynamics and more body to my ears. Electrostatic headphones I felt sounded a little lifeless and less musical in comparison. This includes the SR-009’s I heard but didn’t own and SR-007 MK2’s which I owned briefly.

If it wasn’t for the Susvara’s the HE6se’s would be right up there today as being Hifiman’s top headphone. The Susvara’s drivers are a huge improvement over the HE6se’s. With that said, the HE6se’s or the original HE6’s are still in my top 10 and worthy of being purchased. I’m still breaking mine in and they are starting to sound fuller and the midrange is starting to come alive. I say get a pair before they are gone!
I appreciate your detailed input, thankfully i own the HE6se and i am enjoying it, it has weight and impact in the presentation that i am missing with my HEKse , thoguh on the other hand the HEKse has bigger and wider sound stage with more air around the instruments, i was wandering if the Susvara would be a mix of these two very enjoyable headphones, and i guess it do from your description , thanks again for your time and care to answer , now i will start looking for good deal on the susvara :)

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #435 of 3,900
I appreciate your detailed input, thankfully i own the HE6se and i am enjoying it, it has weight and impact in the presentation that i am missing with my HEKse , thoguh on the other hand the HEKse has bigger and wider sound stage with more air around the instruments, i was wandering if the Susvara would be a mix of these two very enjoyable headphones, and i guess it do from your description , thanks again for your time and care to answer , now i will start looking for good deal on the susvara :)
Yes, the HEKse's were brought about with trickle down technology from the Susvara's. The Susvara's are the next generation of the original HE6's. So all three share something in common but the Susvara's takes the top spot. The HE6se's still hold there own and I appreciate them for what they are. When driven properly they are still better than a great deal of headphones out now. I'm glad Hifiman revised and re-released them. I missed out on the first generation of HE6's because I was not in the headphone game back then. Now my collection is just about complete. I want to add the Abyss Phi TC's, the Denon AH-D9200's, the ZMF Verite's to replace my Utopia's as detail kings, and maybe and Ether 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back