Hifiman HE6-SE
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #676 of 3,902
More importantly, what are you driving the STAX L700 with? That could be part of the reason also. To me the best thing about Electrostats is clarity unlike any other. The best example I can give is the Original Bias Lambda. It has an amazing sound but not a lot of bass. I feel like STAX has been running after getting more bass at the cost of some of what makes Electrostats so special. Just my opinion. I loved the HE-6 while I had it, it is a truly great headphone.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #677 of 3,902
Just swapped some Vegan pads (those long time HE-6 fans will recognize them as "the" chosen pad back in the day) onto my HE-6SE. Have two pairs that I bought a few years ago - one brand new and a pair that was on my HE-400. Though the Mr Speakers Ether Angled pads were great the Vegan's add that extra level of comfort that is unmatched to me.

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #679 of 3,902
More importantly, what are you driving the STAX L700 with? That could be part of the reason also. To me the best thing about Electrostats is clarity unlike any other. The best example I can give is the Original Bias Lambda. It has an amazing sound but not a lot of bass. I feel like STAX has been running after getting more bass at the cost of some of what makes Electrostats so special. Just my opinion. I loved the HE-6 while I had it, it is a truly great headphone.
Starter system for now. Woo Wee driven by the EF-6 or THX 789. I planned on getting a 300B Amp down the road.

Now the 789 is one of the most clean / clinical amps you can use, but still the L700s don't resolve as well as the HE-6SE. I was surprised.

Sep 11, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #681 of 3,902
Amp is the HiFiMan EF-6.

Hmm, most songs that has Bass? Although I am talking acoustic here, not electronic. So Kick drums and Double bass.

Song wise that doesn't really give me the info I was hoping for.

Either A) The song you are listening to has a bass bump where the L700 also has a bump and the HE6se is flatter
or
B) You're hearing what you're hearing and no one else can explain it without hearing it too.

Also, how are you driving the Woo Wee using the EF-6 or THX789? Both have pre-amp outs not speaker outs and the Woo Wee requires a minimum of 3 watts per channel.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #682 of 3,902
Song wise that doesn't really give me the info I was hoping for.

Either A) The song you are listening to has a bass bump where the L700 also has a bump and the HE6se is flatter
or
B) You're hearing what you're hearing and no one else can explain it without hearing it too.

Also, how are you driving the Woo Wee using the EF-6 or THX789? Both have pre-amp outs not speaker outs and the Woo Wee requires a minimum of 3 watts per channel.
Oh, there is most definitely a mid-bass hump on the L700s. I'm familiar with that technique to give the impression there is more bass (I.e. HD650s).

From the Balanced outputs the EF-6 is 5W Class A into 50 ohms so ~30W into 8 ohms, whilst the 789 is 3.8W into 50 ohms hence ~24W into 8 ohms. Both are powerful headphone amps and provide plenty of power for the Wee and (relatively) sensitive L700s.

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #683 of 3,902
I own both the 6SE and the Arya and tonally the 6SE is more correct or more natural (not saying the Arya is unnatural or wrong, but in comparison it does not have the same timbre qualities). The only thing the 6SE lacks is that soundstage and imaging and of course, it needs much more power. If you don't care much about it go for the 6SE which does both still pretty good, just not within the same spatial "boundaries".

Or upgrade to the Susvara.

Can the V280 drive the H6SE well enough? Or do I need to run it off an integrated amp?

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #684 of 3,902
Can the V280 drive the H6SE well enough? Or do I need to run it off an integrated amp?

Hmmm. On paper doesn't look like enough. But all their products seem to have a lot of current, so maybe so? Anyone else?

IMO my HE-6se requires 4 wpc min. 6 would be better. 8 is more than enough.

My testing with the 6 screw HE-6, my 6SE is less efficient - my guess? 3 db.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #685 of 3,902

I'd go for it if and up the gain and if you can get it for a good price. Always good to have one of the "old ones", even though the 6SE is modern interpretation. It's a very great headphone that got overlooked and gotten rid of in the end by Hifiman themselves. I'd always take it over the Arya.

You can always hook it up to your integrated amp or upgrade your HPA along the way later.

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #686 of 3,902

I doubt it, but it obviously depends on what well enough is for you.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #687 of 3,902
Hmmm. On paper doesn't look like enough. But all their products seem to have a lot of current, so maybe so? Anyone else?

IMO my HE-6se requires 4 wpc min. 6 would be better. 8 is more than enough.

My testing with the 6 screw HE-6, my 6SE is less efficient - my guess? 3 db.

Yeah, from reading this thread the power of the V280 looks marginal. Which is kinda incredible when I think about it.

I do have an ATROX V2 which is rated a little higher at 50 ohms but if I get the HE-6SE I won't have the amp and cans in the same country.

I'd go for it if and up the gain and if you can get it for a good price. Always good to have one of the "old ones", even though the 6SE is modern interpretation. It's a very great headphone that got overlooked and gotten rid of in the end by Hifiman themselves. I'd always take it over the Arya.

You can always hook it up to your integrated amp or upgrade your HPA along the way later.

I don't see a good price, just found a European shop that has it for I guess not far from the original price. Upgrade your HPA?! How can you say i?! :D I thought the V280 was the end of the trail.

I doubt it, but it obviously depends on what well enough is for you.

Thanks, I'm thinking also not. I do have an integrated amp but running speakers and a pair of headphones off of it is not going to be easy.

Thanks guys.

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #688 of 3,902

Yeah, I actually think HiFiMan missed the boat on the HE6SE. They should have named it the Susvara Jnr and charged $3K for it. It certainly has more in common technically (and tonally) to the Susvara than the Arya / HE1K.

It could still be a current model and people would continue to buy it if marketed as such.

Now it remains an anomaly that only owners can really appreciate.

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #689 of 3,902
Yeah, I actually think HiFiMan missed the boat on the HE6SE. They should have named it the Susvara Jnr and charged $3K for it. It certainly has more in common technically (and tonally) to the Susvara than the Arya / HE1K.

It could still be a current model and people would continue to buy it if marketed as such.

Now it remains an anomaly that only owners can really appreciate.

I have to disagree. HE6SE is not originated from Susvara. HE6SE is a modified HE6, which it is much more similar to than the Susvara. To name a modified HE6 Susvara Jr and charged $3K would be fraud and would have upset a lot of people because it’s not true

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #690 of 3,902
I have to disagree. HE6SE is not originated from Susvara. HE6SE is a modified HE6, which it is much more similar to than the Susvara. To name a modified HE6 Susvara Jr and charged $3K would be fraud and would have upset a lot of people because it’s not true

I don’t have Susvara but maybe in term of naturalness and dynamic then HE6se is the closest of Susvara sound signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back