Hifiman HE6-SE
Jun 19, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #661 of 3,902
Hey guys, new to this particular thread. I got some HE-6se from another member and I'm loving them. I had to switch to Focuspads though, I find the Pali pads they come with pretty hot in the treble. I kinda got the feeling that they got slapped on as the 'new pad' regardless of the effect on tuning. I'm really enjoying the quality of bass and vocals, really impressive. There is a faint sweetness to vocals while still showcasing the breathy inner detail of voices. I was afraid I'd need to join speaker-amp land to properly enjoy them, but my Lyr2 is doing a bang-up job.

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #662 of 3,902
Hey guys, new to this particular thread. I got some HE-6se from another member and I'm loving them. I had to switch to Focuspads though, I find the Pali pads they come with pretty hot in the treble. I kinda got the feeling that they got slapped on as the 'new pad' regardless of the effect on tuning. I'm really enjoying the quality of bass and vocals, really impressive. There is a faint sweetness to vocals while still showcasing the breathy inner detail of voices. I was afraid I'd need to join speaker-amp land to properly enjoy them, but my Lyr2 is doing a bang-up job.
Same here i prefer Focuspads or Dekoni Elite Hybrid , they are almost the same

Jun 21, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #663 of 3,902
Same here i prefer Focuspads or Dekoni Elite Hybrid , they are almost the same

MrSpeakers Ether Angled for me. Great on the HE-6, HE-500, HE-5LE, HE5se, MD-4XX also.

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #665 of 3,902
@bagwell359 , what is the back of the Ether 2 pads like? Can we mount it on the ZMF or Verum ring)?

Well it mounts on HFM and MrSpeakers rings. Never seen a Verum up close and I've seen ZMF's but never manipulated one. If the diameter is within a 1/4" it ought to work.

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #666 of 3,902
I just got in the HE6Se's. I think I like them more than Arya. I'm driving them with the Chord Hugo TT2 which outputs a max of 7.3w singled ended, but at 18 Ohms. I estimate at the HE6Se 50 Ohms is probably putting out about 3 watts, does that sound about right?

At any rate, it sounds excellent. :)

Now to play with EQ a bit

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #667 of 3,902
I use Hifiman HE6se with new headphone amp Flux FA-10 (2x16w @32ohm, DAC used is Chord Mojo). The HE6se is a headset that requires maximum engagement and pushes to turn up the volume, and in this case the FA-10 ensures, it has the juice that is needed for sure, it hits hard, I feel it even in the chest!

The reverb effects on live performances are startling, and the soundstage can get huge if the recording was intended like this : song from Queen – Love Of My Life (Live at Wembley) was a revelation of how good HE6se can be if very well driven. At the same time the sound is not colorful, it is really balanced and very realistic. When turning up the volume, the sound is never aggressive or tiring, proof again that HE6se is very well driven.

On Queen's song, Love of my life (Live at Wembley), the impression of being in a sound bubble is impressive, everything is there, width and height of the stage, reverb effects, stadium acoustics with the spectators, etc.

Another song by Dana Winner, One moment in time (album Puur), the recording is really well done, Dana Winner's voice is superb, some instruments to accompany, it's very beautiful, very natural, no need to only have punchy music with the HE6se.

Yes the HE6se is really driven with authority by the FA-10, moreover the He6se is really natural, I would say it is ´smooth', it is paradoxical because one could believe that the Hifiman is not in the refinement but it is quite the opposite for me.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #668 of 3,902
Look, the HE6se is the best can I own. It needs a lot of juice. It needs a new cable. It needs new pads.

But even after all that, it is not flat. It's got a mammoth dip centered between 1690 and 1760 Hz. I've seen it listed as max dip -15db, -11 db, -9 db. Correction gets too hooty if you go over +6 db, I usually have it set around +4.8, still gives some sense of depth, but also proportion which untouched it badly needs. All female vocalists above Contralto sound wrong. It also has a few dips and rises above 3k so a little EQ to deal with that.

It doesn't soundstage very well, but its got most else.

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #669 of 3,902
I just got in the HE6Se's. I think I like them more than Arya. I'm driving them with the Chord Hugo TT2 which outputs a max of 7.3w singled ended, but at 18 Ohms. I estimate at the HE6Se 50 Ohms is probably putting out about 3 watts, does that sound about right?

At any rate, it sounds excellent. :)

Now to play with EQ a bit

About 5 times a year 3 watts isn't enough for me, then it's at the top of gain 2 of my Rag 1 - 8-12 wpc probably.

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #670 of 3,902
About 5 times a year 3 watts isn't enough for me, then it's at the top of gain 2 of my Rag 1 - 8-12 wpc probably.

I ended up selling the HE6SE, the on ear aspect of them was just not nearly as comfortable or for me as the Arya.

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #671 of 3,902
I ended up selling the HE6SE, the on ear aspect of them was just not nearly as comfortable or for me as the Arya.

I have a HEX v2 for more comfort, the 6se is just too full of truth for me to walk away from, my HE-500 still holds my ear a lot too, soon the HD-600 on an OTL will make 4. I'd love a HEKse or an E2, wouldn't mind an Arya. Those e-stats are just too damn expensive...

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #672 of 3,902
I find the HE6se very comfortable. Different feel from the X, but still light and comfy. Of course I also have a HEDDphone and LCD-4. So I'm used to bricks on my head.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #673 of 3,902
Hi there.

I've been an HE-6SE owner for about 6 months now. Quite enjoyed them, however they were a stop-gap until I got my dream phones the Stax SR-L700s.

Well, they arrived this week and I have been listening and comparing and must say, they make the HE6s sound all the more impressive. Most notably in the areas of imaging and instrument separation. Tonally the L700s has more Bass quantity (which was a surprise) but the quality and slam from the HE6s is so fast and clean. On that, it truly feels the HE6 is faster than the Stax all round. How can that happen?

I don't mean to troll (that's why I won't post this on the Stax threads), but wonder if there are other HE-6 owners who also have Stax in their complement and could comment.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #674 of 3,902
Hi there.

I've been an HE-6SE owner for about 6 months now. Quite enjoyed them, however they were a stop-gap until I got my dream phones the Stax SR-L700s.

Well, they arrived this week and I have been listening and comparing and must say, they make the HE6s sound all the more impressive. Most notably in the areas of imaging and instrument separation. Tonally the L700s has more Bass quantity (which was a surprise) but the quality and slam from the HE6s is so fast and clean. On that, it truly feels the HE6 is faster than the Stax all round. How can that happen?

I don't mean to troll (that's why I won't post this on the Stax threads), but wonder if there are other HE-6 owners who also have Stax in their complement and could comment.

Cheers.
What are you amping the HE6se with? Also, which songs are you saying the L700 has more bass on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back