Hifiman HE6-SE
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #316 of 3,903
HE6se does indeed sound excellent. I'm using a Emotiva A100 with self made banana plug cable.

10369206.jpg

Obviously did a grill mod. It makes it sound less claustrophobic. The song that I immediately noticed a difference Hotel California on the Hell Freeze Over CD. The beginning where the percussive wood block (sorry if I didn't get the instrument right), it went from inside my ear to a good 2 to 3 inches outside my ear.

As far as bass impact or whatever, I never really understood when people say it's "visceral" or whatnot. The bass is great though. And as far as imaging, well, to be honest, I hate headphones :) They're a necessary evil to me, even my Yamaha soundbar sounds better as far as imaging and sound stage when listening to the same tracks than any of my headphones, HE6se included. I can never get any depth to anything, only left, inside, and right no matter which headphones I listen to.

Still, I'm absolutely thrilled that I was able to get these for the sale price, they're definitely worth it.
Where did you get the grill, mate?

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #318 of 3,903
Here is a lesson. Just because the HE-500 is similar to the HE6SE, doesn't mean all the mods will work the same.

About 4 days ago I went to the MrSpeakers Ether Angled, and that was a nice improvement over stock.

Aha! But today the rear grills came off. Now with the 500, you lose a bit of bass under 50, and crufty over reverberant mid bass -> low mids, this brings a little more emphasis to the upper mids/low treble.

On the 6, reverberation may not be as bad (need more time to tell) but the upper mid/lower treble is now unbearable. Sopranos are now shrieking harpies. Fuzzor mod next to see if that brings it back.

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #319 of 3,903
Here is a lesson. Just because the HE-500 is similar to the HE6SE, doesn't mean all the mods will work the same.

About 4 days ago I went to the MrSpeakers Ether Angled, and that was a nice improvement over stock.

Aha! But today the rear grills came off. Now with the 500, you lose a bit of bass under 50, and crufty over reverberant mid bass -> low mids, this brings a little more emphasis to the upper mids/low treble.

On the 6, reverberation may not be as bad (need more time to tell) but the upper mid/lower treble is now unbearable. Sopranos are now shrieking harpies. Fuzzor mod next to see if that brings it back.

Interesting, with my modded grilles, which are almost fully open and a double sheet of tulle for some protection, I find the mids and treble sound great. It even tamed the sibilance quite a bit, although I still get some here and there. Got any links to the songs you're experiencing the mid/treble issues with? I'm interested to try.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #320 of 3,903
Interesting, with my modded grilles, which are almost fully open and a double sheet of tulle for some protection, I find the mids and treble sound great. It even tamed the sibilance quite a bit, although I still get some here and there. Got any links to the songs you're experiencing the mid/treble issues with? I'm interested to try.

Other mods?

Norah Jones - 1st CD, first 5 cuts. I did have a nasty headache about 36 hours ago, so I should try again in like 2 days.

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #322 of 3,903
OK, more. I'm used to the HE-500, HEX v2, and expected to some extent the HE-6.which I do know to sound like the HE6SE. I own the first two and tuned them to be flatter than stock,, but smooth. All 3 of these cans have issues between 8k and 11k.- which it seems doesn't bother me. The extra long decay of cymbals on the 500 is probably the worst thing, but, I fixed that.

However the HE6SE has a monumental spike at 4k-5k. I listen to probably 40-50% female vocals, but during the break-in I've been going with heavy bass cuts. I verified that the screens don't matter. But I don't have any mods that really are directed at the freq. in question.. Looks like an in-line EQ is the answer since there is only one big black mark against the HE6SE. I won't put up with anything that wrecks my enjoyment of those singers.

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #323 of 3,903
I’ve got a 6 screw he-6 in the new style cups/headband right next to a new he-6se

there are some slight differences between the 2, I haven’t done enough comparing to tell what but I’ll do some more listening and report back

Nov 13, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #324 of 3,903
I’ve got a 6 screw he-6 in the new style cups/headband right next to a new he-6se

there are some slight differences between the 2, I haven’t done enough comparing to tell what but I’ll do some more listening and report back

Excellent

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #325 of 3,903

Good, last night I found a number of reviews saying they are the same - some were marketing/sales blurbs for sure. Don't believe it.

I'm going to pursue mods, and then a solderdude passive in line filter to nail down that brutal 4 kHz peak.if the mods don't provide relief.

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #326 of 3,903
Good, last night I found a number of reviews saying they are the same - some were marketing/sales blurbs for sure. Don't believe it.
HIFIMAN themselves say they are the same. The was a booklet included with the headphones. Read it. But... Someone posted pictures earlier in this thread comparing the original HE6 with these, and the drivers look different in many ways at least from outside. Go figure.

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #327 of 3,903
the differences are very slight, you couldnt mistake these he-6se for any other headphone, not even from hifiman. but they aren't identical either. not better or worse. could even be brand new pads vs older broke in pads accounting for some difference. ill do some more comparing and report back

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #328 of 3,903
the differences are very slight, you couldnt mistake these he-6se for any other headphone, not even from hifiman. but they aren't identical either. not better or worse. could even be brand new pads vs older broke in pads accounting for some difference. ill do some more comparing and report back
Have you tried comparing with the crappier set of pads?

Nov 13, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #329 of 3,903
tbh i don't care how they deffer from the old HE6 , that's only important to someone who had the old HE6 , to me it is the only option available , and for 700$ they are a steal , maybe they are not the legendary HE6 but to my ears they sound amazing and i can not wait for my balanced cable to utilize the full power of my amp.

Nov 13, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #330 of 3,903
They are not worse than the old he-6 by any means, whether or not there is any slight difference in sound

how do they compare to the he-1kse and the abyss 1266?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back