Hifiman HE6-SE
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #346 of 3,880
I already asked you before but you didn't reply. Can you elaborate what's trashy about the stock cable? Is it just its looks? It seems to be a nice copper/silver cable that's sold separately for $400. Can you measure the resistance of your "better" cable for comparison?
Sorry i missed your question , stock cable have strange tone that sound unnatural with thin mids , less depth , less dynamics , though i like its sound stage but still the loss in other parts is unacceptable, also i doubt it cost 20-30$ to make,
About the resistance measuring sorry i don't have the knowledge or the equipment to do it.

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #347 of 3,880
Kate Bush:

Babooska, Breathing (last :90 sec in particular), Sat in Your lap, Pull out the Pin

Be ready for 80's recording techniques, and a fairly self indulgent diva

I have the HE-500, HEX v2 - so I know about brightly lit but smooth high ends. I have the HE5LE, HE5SE,MD 4XX - so I know about other kinds of HFM high ends too.

The 6SE is very potent, less v shaped than the original (by ear, not graph), and it doesn't irritate me except at 4k - it should excite high piano note overtones and some violins too, but they so far are getting by with "bright and alive".not metallic and sibilant.like the vocals. Like I said someplace Patricia Barber isn't irritating, she's intense on these, but she's a contralto.

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #348 of 3,880
Kate Bush:

Babooska, Breathing (last :90 sec in particular), Sat in Your lap, Pull out the Pin

Be ready for 80's recording techniques, and a fairly self indulgent diva

I have the HE-500, HEX v2 - so I know about brightly lit but smooth high ends. I have the HE5LE, HE5SE,MD 4XX - so I know about other kinds of HFM high ends too.

The 6SE is very potent, less v shaped than the original (by ear, not graph), and it doesn't irritate me except at 4k - it should excite high piano note overtones and some violins too, but they so far are getting by with "bright and alive".not metallic and sibilant.like the vocals. Like I said someplace Patricia Barber isn't irritating, she's intense on these, but she's a contralto.
Cool will check those out.

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #349 of 3,880
Cool will check those out.

Thanks, hopefully you can listen vs a known fairly flat midrange headphone.

I "vetted" those cuts vs a HE-500 (fuzzor, other mods), HEX v2 (essentially modless).

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #351 of 3,880
Anyone else running the HE-6SE out of vintage speaker amps via the speaker taps? Glorious sound and visceral bass.....................

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #352 of 3,880
Anyone else running the HE-6SE out of vintage speaker amps via the speaker taps? Glorious sound and visceral bass.....................

i am comparing a couple this week- ive got a pioneer sa-8500 coming in, as well as just received a sansui 5000a and a denon avr 5803 (not vintage but should be good) to test on speaker taps.

i also had a marantz 1060 but it was doa so its going back.

ive ran mine out of an emotiva umc-200/xpa-3 power amp direct off taps, but emotiva is a bit neutral and analytical for the he-6- hoping to get something more meaty and tube-ish from the vintage gear.

im very excited!

Nov 14, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #353 of 3,880

Before I knew anything about any version of the HE-6, I went and sold my Pass X-150 that I I had had for over 15 years reasoning that since I was downsizing away from speakers, a Rag 1 would do the job. Rag 1 is pretty nice but the X-150 is glorious. Good for you

Nov 14, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #354 of 3,880
D5DD13BD-57AE-4CC9-A76A-268F660ED1C6.jpeg

Beautiful- hope it sounds as good as it looks!

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #355 of 3,880
Thanks, hopefully you can listen vs a known fairly flat midrange headphone.

I "vetted" those cuts vs a HE-500 (fuzzor, other mods), HEX v2 (essentially modless).
Well, maybe my ears or shot, but Babooshka and Breathing sound fine. The overall tone is a bit thinner with my HE6se vs my Auteur, but neither one produces anything I would call weird or off putting...unlike my Elear, which makes vocals sound like it's coming from an AM radio.

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #356 of 3,880

Well, maybe my ears or shot, but Babooshka and Breathing sound fine. The overall tone is a bit thinner with my HE6se vs my Auteur, but neither one produces anything I would call weird or off putting...unlike my Elear, which makes vocals sound like it's coming from an AM radio.

OK, good job. Both of my mid cans are probably a bit softer than yours, because all 4 cuts were more sibiliant by a notable amount on the HE6SE - or maybe mine follows the +15 curve? So far its like 7 out of 200 cuts that seem off, that's not bad, and they are not broken in yet (I estimate about 65 hrs now) Time to break out some Prokofiev and Shostakovitch violin pieces and see how that goes.

I put the screens back on them (which should only have an effect from about 400 Hz down based on all the other HFM's I've de-screened, but just to be safe), Got to let my ears rest a bit tonight, try 'em again in tomorrow. In the next days I'm going to lend them to @SilverEars, who has a stock HE-6 and see what he says.

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #357 of 3,880
OK, good job. Both of my mid cans are probably a bit softer than yours, because all 4 cuts were more sibiliant by a notable amount on the HE6SE - or maybe mine follows the +15 curve? So far its like 7 out of 200 cuts that seem off, that's not bad, and they are not broken in yet (I estimate about 65 hrs now) Time to break out some Prokofiev and Shostakovitch violin pieces and see how that goes.

I put the screens back on them (which should only have an effect from about 400 Hz down based on all the other HFM's I've de-screened, but just to be safe), Got to let my ears rest a bit tonight, try 'em again in tomorrow. In the next days I'm going to lend them to @SilverEars, who has a stock HE-6 and see what he says.

The track where sibilance always got to me is Queensryche - Silent Lucidity. There's some there still, but not nearly as bad as I remember. Maybe my honeycomb grills widen out the sound enough to where it isn't shoved into my ears.

In any case, maybe your ears are better than mine :)

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #359 of 3,880
Sorry i missed your question , stock cable have strange tone that sound unnatural with thin mids , less depth , less dynamics , though i like its sound stage but still the loss in other parts is unacceptable, also i doubt it cost 20-30$ to make,
About the resistance measuring sorry i don't have the knowledge or the equipment to do it.
Thanks for responding. Please let us know if your new balanced cable is better when you receive it. I think you mentioned you ordered it from thomann.de.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back