Hifiman HE6-SE
Jun 22, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #1,831 of 3,900
Ok I understood, I didn’t figure that speaker amp don’t have volume control.
Eh, some do! But it's often per channel, so that's kinda odd.

This whole "speaker amp for the HE6" conversation has evolved over the years. At first I felt like it was this magical mystery, but that was likely due to relatively low-powered headphone amps of the day. Then came "quality watts", which is one of the most irritating arguments I've ever heard. And then there was this talk about "enough current". IMO the conversation stopped there. Surely we can figure out how much current does the trick, and how to maximize for current.

I'd figure its "best" to crank the power amp to give as much juice as possible, and to control volume via a preamp. I figure that this is how to get "the most current", with absolutely no knowledge and research at all.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,832 of 3,900
So I tried comparing Schiit Sys in the chain against it being out of the chain. And as pointed out, it is completely passive. No gain at all.

Tested using an app on the phone. “Leq” is the important number, showing the average sound level. “Min” and “Max” being the lowest and loudest noise detected. Track tested with was “Shark City” by Stephen Walking (from start of track until the 2:15 mark).

Schiit Sys in the chain (cables going from Bifrost into the Sys, then from Sys into TA-30)
42094DC2-9A67-4EC6-9B86-8DC46DE697CC.jpeg

Sys taken OUT of the chain (cable running straight from Bifrost into TA-30)

D5A5C511-C84B-491A-9D63-318C24B1278F.jpeg

There is maybe half a decibel difference in average and max loudness, where the Sys being in the system had recorded that half decibel greater than in the case of Sys being taken out. The difference in only half a decibel is likely a difference in human error (pausing or starting the track at exactly the same moments between trials is on me).

My HE6SE sounds qualitatively the same loudness to me in listening comparisons as well.

By the way, that electronic track was this loud on a tube amp at only just under halfway on the dial! My takeaway from this is that the HE6SE is well enough powered on any modern headphone amp with enough power behind it (like the TA-30). And getting that tube sound too?

I highly recommend the TA-30.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #1,833 of 3,900
for some of you wanting a little more bass on the v2 or v1, eq is your friend. Use a low shelf at 70hz +5db with a .7 Q. if you hear distortion drop the gain but not lower than -5db
I use+2.6 db,35 Hz, .8 Q.

It makes up for being an open can with no screen. I tried your setting and it's just not for me.

Jul 1, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #1,835 of 3,900
Jul 1, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #1,836 of 3,900
My understanding is that any (speaker) amp that can feed a lot of power into the HE6 with a very low output impedance should be able to supply the current needed to properly drive them. But I have no precise figures

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #1,837 of 3,900
I've had the OG 6-screw HE-6 for about two weeks. The OG is has original velour pads, the V2 has the honeycomb grill mode. I'm using a Rag 2 with a Grace SDAC.

I'm a bit of a newb, to my ears they are very very close. The V2 is a little smoother. There's a little more impact with the OG, but again I'm a newb, and I haven't trained my brain to pick out the differences. The differences are pretty small to my ears.

The SEV2 is definitely more comfortable.

In general I think I enjoy the sound of the OG a bit more, so I'll likely use it and save the V2 as a backup. Or maybe let them go and get something a little different... Aeon 2 closed... or TH-900.

It does seem like the plastic housing over where the yoke connects to the headband might be coming a little loose. But I guess worst case scenario is a replacement headband from Hifiman, as long as the drivers keep kicking. I'm tempted to try the Sundara pads that Resolve recommended... but aren't those the PaliPads, and the same pads that come on the SEV2?

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #1,838 of 3,900
They keep changing the damn pads. I have no idea what's what now. PaliPad should be the newest one, but there might be several versions of it.

Or you can check out my suggestion and get Dekoni Sheepskin TH-X00 pads with the attenuation rings!

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,839 of 3,900
I think if you just got a box new pair you got the newest Pali pads. At least it looks like I got them on my open box HE6SE from Hifiman. The leather is soft as can be and it has a slight angle on them.

Jul 4, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,840 of 3,900
I’m tempting by the speaker amp road but don’t want to invest in a new DAC + preamp, my question is can I use my integrated DAC / headphone amp combo as an active pre amp ? Do I miss something ?

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,841 of 3,900
I’m tempting by the speaker amp road but don’t want to invest in a new DAC + preamp, my question is can I use my integrated DAC / headphone amp combo as an active pre amp ? Do I miss something ?
If there's a pre out, sure!

Alternatively, get a Schiit Sys. Plug the DAC into the output, your existing headphone amp into the Input 1, and your speaker amp into Input 2. It's backwards, but since it's passive, it doesn't actually matter.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #1,842 of 3,900
If there's a pre out, sure!

Alternatively, get a Schiit Sys. Plug the DAC into the output, your existing headphone amp into the Input 1, and your speaker amp into Input 2. It's backwards, but since it's passive, it doesn't actually matter.

It doesn’t have pre out, what would be the impact on sound vs preamp ?

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #1,843 of 3,900
It doesn’t have pre out, what would be the impact on sound vs preamp ?
How do you intend to connect the amp/DAC to the speaker amp?

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #1,844 of 3,900
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,845 of 3,900
With a jack to RCA cable
Ah. That's out of my wheelhouse.

I'm telling you - Get a Schiit sys! they're like $40! And it's entirely passive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back