Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 8, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #136 of 3,898
Yeah, I don't want to blow a pair of tango xe60 3.5s...
What's the situation I want to avoid with the resistors in parallel? Most planar headphones are 30-60ohms of impedance, right?

Conversely, I can test headphones on my dad's push pull triode el34 amps with utc ls transforners? They have taps for 1,2,4,8,16,32 all the way up to 300ohms on the secondaries

You have to match the load impedance, in this case the HE6-SE is a 50 ohm load, with the output transformer, say 8 ohms tap on your amp. So to create an 8 ohm load you have to parallel a 10 ohm resistor with the 50 ohm HE6-SE (parallel resistor calculator https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/parallel-resistance-calculator/). If you don't match the load impedance with the amp's output impedance, the transformer will act like an inductor which it isn't and will eventually arc.

Also don't turn this amp on and live it on without a load.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #138 of 3,898
Oct 11, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #139 of 3,898
Is the weight a negative for comfort at over 400gr? im used to light oppo pm1. advice needed will explain all later.

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #140 of 3,898
Is the weight a negative for comfort at over 400gr? im used to light oppo pm1. advice needed will explain all later.

Its actually ok in terms of comfort. Its not the comfiest headphone I have owned or tried, but it is perfectly wearable and not the worst I have tried by any means. I'd recommend the HE6se with no problem, depending on what amp you have to pair with it.

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #141 of 3,898
option 1: I have a hugo2/mscaler and thinking of selling my oppo pm1 to get a ether2 which are far easier to drive than he6se but depends on comfort.

option 2: more expensive so trade my hugo2 for a tt2 and trade my oppo for a he6se which the tt2 can easily power. this is the all out route but again depends on comfort of he6se as im very picky here. this will take longer due to added cost but would possibly be amazing.

which option do members think?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #142 of 3,898
option 1: I have a hugo2/mscaler and thinking of selling my oppo pm1 to get a ether2 which are far easier to drive but depends on comfort.

option 2: more expensive so trade my hugo2 for a tt2 and trade my oppo for a he6se which the tt2 can easily power. this is the all out route but again depends on comfort of he6se as im very picky here. this will take longer due to added cost but would possibly be amazing.

which option do members think?

Well, I haven't tried the Ether 2, but just going by the weight specs and experience with the Aeon, it is likely to be very comfortable. However, you might get better sound quality with the HE6se, as I haven't heard the Ether 2, I'm not sure. The TT2+MScaler might be pretty damn impressive though!

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #143 of 3,898
The mscaler and hugo 2 is impressive. if i upgrade to a tt2 then I really need a power hungry headphone for the combo to shine. I don't know whether just adding an easy to drive can like an ether2 to my hugo2/scaler might give me the same end experience as compared to a tt2/scaler/he6 type can.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #144 of 3,898
I agree with the resistor theory being discussed when using the HE-Adapter. Even with that, I'm not hearing any sound degradation when I'm driving my Susvara's through it. When I get my HE6se's next week I'm going to plug them into it as well and see if I can hear a difference in sound.
Have you ran your phones without the adapter on your amps?

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #145 of 3,898
Have you ran your phones without the adapter on your amps?
I run my Susvara's and soon HE6se's straight from my Pro iCan most of the time. I would like to try running them straight from my power amp but I don't have the cables to do so. I'd be interested in trying it though.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #146 of 3,898
I have heard that the old SE-6's sound remarkably better modified - like 'Code Sex' - probably the most legendary and almost for sure the most expensive.

Have any of the owners of the new SE6's tried mods - fuzzor, mesh screen removal, etc.

And have any of the folks behind the dedicated mods taken these on?

Thanks

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #148 of 3,898
I think this is about output impedance relative to Frequency. I was never a fan of resistors right at the output, better to do it with transformers. But that costs.....

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #149 of 3,898
I contacted Hifiman a few months ago about repairing an original HE-6. They basically luaghed at me saying the product was ancient and they didn't have any extra drivers on hand.

Don't assume manufacturers actually support products several years after they are discontinued because a lot of them don't.

Nobody knows if they are using the original driver and HiFiMan will not tell you if they are because that will open them up to repairing old HE-6 cans versus selling new ones.

Just my experience..
I just got mine repaired about half a year ago after I blew them up incorrectly plugging a line in into phono (don’t mention just pure stupidity).

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #150 of 3,898
You have to match the load impedance, in this case the HE6-SE is a 50 ohm load, with the output transformer, say 8 ohms tap on your amp. So to create an 8 ohm load you have to parallel a 10 ohm resistor with the 50 ohm HE6-SE (parallel resistor calculator https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/parallel-resistance-calculator/). If you don't match the load impedance with the amp's output impedance, the transformer will act like an inductor which it isn't and will eventually arc.

Also don't turn this amp on and live it on without a load.

How do amps like the ones from ampsandsound get away with only a 8ohm and a 300ohm output taps - their output trans are tiny too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back