= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Aug 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #796 of 1,710
The velour is only supposed to add airiness and comfort. As far as the sub bass mod goes, if the increase in bass is merely from securing the pad to the headphone and therefore helping reverberate bass throughout the pad, I'm not sure that securing all 4 sections as opposed to 3 will make much difference but the lack of vent might.

Thats what it is looking like

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #797 of 1,710
No, having the entire pad base adhered to the cups makes no further difference on sub-bass, relative to just 3/4 taped, and last quarter used for the back vents.

Well that makes things easier. Now i just need to do some more a/bing and decide whether i would rather have velour pads with mods 2 & 4, or pleathers with mods 1-4...

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #800 of 1,710
Quote:
Is there  THAT much difference between stock Hifiman velour or pleather pads for the HE-400?  Is velour BETTER than pleather?

I feel it's a bit more subjective for the HE-400 than the HE-500, as from my experience in terms of stock pads the HE-400 was best with the pleathers and the HE-500 was best with the velours.  While my experience is limited using jergpads on the HE-400, I'd say they are noticeably better than the pleathers.  I feel the HE-400 already has a good sense of air, which the velours seem to further provide.  If you check a few posts back, jerg made a handy chart showing his experience with various pads and their pros and cons, which I find to be fairly accurate.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #801 of 1,710
Quote:

Thanks for the colourful impressions 
rolleyes.gif

Again, I bring up the infogram I made earlier

The goal isn't to somehow magically make earpads that are perfect in all aspects, but to simply get close to the compromise center point. And as you might note, that is aptly achieved.

Currently I have the J$ Beyer pads with a piece of felt/damping in front of the driver. I feel this brings it closer to that sweet spot in the middle. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #803 of 1,710
I don't even have the 400/500's (would like to try someday) but I just have to give you props on this project

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #804 of 1,710
my extreme grill modded and jerg (by modulor) modded pads he500

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #806 of 1,710
my extreme grill modded and jerg (by modulor) modded pads he500

do you have an explanation of these grill mods in another post? They look intense, and i want to make them.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #808 of 1,710
do you have an explanation of these grill mods in another post? They look intense, and i want to make them.

Its basically the jerg grill mod..only i used an extreme open grill and the metal is flat on both sides..not round...i found out that opens the sound even more then the grill jerg used on his headphone.. It was hell to put them on though as the metal i used is razor sharp! After putting them on i had two bloody fingers.. Lolz

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #809 of 1,710
Its basically the jerg grill mod..only i used an extreme open grill and the metal is flat on both sides..not round...i found out that opens the sound even more then the grill jerg used on his headphone.. It was hell to put them on though as the metal i used is razor sharp! After putting them on i had two bloody fingers.. Lolz

Where did you get the grill material?

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #810 of 1,710
Where did you get the grill material?

I found the grill material by accident while looking for a family bbq .... :D
I used a DIY bbq kit..u know the 'use only once' bbq kits in a dollar shop... I removed The metal grill on which u put the meat on..rest i threw away...it was a blind try out..never thought it would work..as i had to clean it up as it was dirty with coal..as that was a real ordeal because the metal being sharp..well..u know what happened to my poor fingers..but its so worth it!!

Its strong but still cuttable by a good iron cutter..and stays well in place..even without the outer ring! Try it! Well recommended...and thanks jerg for the idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back