= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
May 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #646 of 1,710
Quote:
The usual batch of my tests: test tones, frequency sweeps, pink noise, electronic music with low notes, a couple hans zimmer orchestrals.  HE-400 still rolls off at 35hz.

Strange. What kind of double-sided tape did you use? Also can you try the same thing on pleather pads?

May 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #647 of 1,710
Probably about the same type of double sided tape as yours.  It's thin.  Since I don't have a 'vent' though, I taped up all 4 sections of the pads' undersides.  

I would try doing the same on the pleather pads, but that means I'd have to do your mod to them.  I don't really want to do that.  I think as for pure conduction, the velours are better anyways.  They're stiffer and more rigid, and bass impact tended to travel through them easier than the pleathers.  It was one of the things I noticed when I first did the switch last year.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #648 of 1,710
I finished cutting holes and making spacers for my upcoming jergs this weekend. I also found some navy blue velour material online that I ordered to sew to the top (hoping to outsource the sewing to my buddy's wife). If they turn out good, I'll post them - hopefully the colors will match!

Also, on the spacers, I did 5/7/7/5 with electrical tape and I found that the vent is not large as what is pictured in the OP. In fact, the OP looks like it's using some other kind of tape?

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #649 of 1,710
Jerg - Just completed your Jergpad v2.0 along with the grill mod. Outstanding - and thanks for posting all the info on how to get the job done!

I went out on a limb and replaced the grill with thin tulle, crazy glued to the plastic keeper.  Trimmed up with a single edged blade and popped 'em right in.  Reason why I went with tulle was to have an ABSOLUTELY transparent sound, while providing minimum protection to exposed wiring.  I only use these at home, and tucked away in a plastic bag at night - so I'm willing to take the risk.

Fiancee is going to hand sew the velour to the pleathers this weekend.  Was thinking I could go to a local fabric store to get what I need. I've got the replacement velours but don't want to destroy them unless I absolutely have to.  Quick question - do you think thickness of the velour (thicker than Hifimans) would have a positive or negative effect?  Understand you're looking for slight separation between the pleather and your face, as well as for comfort.  Just wondering.

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #650 of 1,710
Quote:
Jerg - Just completed your Jergpad v2.0 along with the grill mod. Outstanding - and thanks for posting all the info on how to get the job done!

I went out on a limb and replaced the grill with thin tulle, crazy glued to the plastic keeper.  Trimmed up with a single edged blade and popped 'em right in.  Reason why I went with tulle was to have an ABSOLUTELY transparent sound, while providing minimum protection to exposed wiring.  I only use these at home, and tucked away in a plastic bag at night - so I'm willing to take the risk.

Fiancee is going to hand sew the velour to the pleathers this weekend.  Was thinking I could go to a local fabric store to get what I need. I've got the replacement velours but don't want to destroy them unless I absolutely have to.  Quick question - do you think thickness of the velour (thicker than Hifimans) would have a positive or negative effect?  Understand you're looking for slight separation between the pleather and your face, as well as for comfort.  Just wondering.

Thanks!

I would say look for velour about the thickness of what's used on the velour pads. Too thick = you might lose some bass extension, too thin = it defeats the purpose of the velour.

Using tulle fabric in place of the grills is a great idea, it was one of the routes to go (the other being a very sparse steel mesh) for the grill mod. Both get real close to the sound with nothing where the grills go, I kinda like the extra mechanical protection of the steel mesh though.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #652 of 1,710
Quote:
Anyone tried the HifiMan leather earpads vs the pleathers/velour? What's the verdict?

There are no Hifiman genuine leather earpads lol. Their "leather earpads" ARE the pleather earpads we talk about.

Jun 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #654 of 1,710
Quote:
Easy to spot the NOOB!

Was at Moon Audio and they advertised leather, so one assumes... Thanks Kerg!

It's synthetic eggshell protein pleather, as far as I know. Not quite real leather (doesn't 'breathe' like real leather, especially in the summer) but doesn't harden and crumble into powder like cheap pleather either.

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #655 of 1,710
Thanks, that helps. I'll probably pick up a set to improve my skill in executing the mod. Going to conduct some tests by using small tabs of double sided tape on different thicknesses of velour to see which one sounds best, and once decided will sew them on. Don't want to destroy the HifiMan velours if I don't have to.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #656 of 1,710
There are no Hifiman genuine leather earpads lol. Their "leather earpads" ARE the pleather earpads we talk about.

Hey jerg,
As u may know the other headfi'er who was going to make a pair of jergmodded 2.0 pads for me is gone with the wind...never heard from him again....so i am still without any now..

u once told me that if u have some time u could help me with that...could u help out a fellow headfi'er? As i once told u..i will pay u for it..
If i could do it myself i would..but i already destroyed a good pair of pleathers in my first try :frowning2:

Thanks if u can find the time to help me.
Paulo

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #657 of 1,710
Jerg,  Quick update. Completed the entire V2 mod, with one slight change in materials and method to the sub-bass mod.  I cut the hard foam rings removed from the ear pads to size with a razor blade, and then permanently attached them to the ear pads with superglue for the rear vents.  I had another piece of hard foam about 2mm thinner so I used that for the outer vents, similarly attached with superglue.  Fiancee finished it off and hand sewed the velours to the pleather.

Fantastic sound!  Sub-bass is astounding - you "feel" rather than hear damped kicks, and top end sibilance is all but eliminated.  Still seems to me HE-400s are weak in the mids, somewhere around the range of female backups.

A novice's unscientific opinion: Overall, for the price, outstanding headphones made even better with the mods.  Many thanks!

Best sound so far is running HDTracks off of Nightingale on a MacBook Pro 17, through FiiO E09K/E17 to the HE-400s.   Minor complaint - why didn't FiiO put a TOSLINK port on the E09K??

Waiting on a pair of Shure SE425 IEMs for my portable rig.  Last purchase for the time being will be a set of Senn 600s.

Cheers, FFXF1 

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #658 of 1,710
I finally finished my jerg pads. I got some blue velour that I ordered for the velour part of the mod, but I just haven't got the motivation to do that part yet. Basically, I did every step except the velour part. Still though, I find the pads to be preferable over the velours for comfort and I love the sub bass that is coming out of these bad boys now. Thanks for the guide! If anyone wants some navy blue velour material for their pads, let me know!

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #659 of 1,710
Would be nice if it was possible to buy these pads pre-modded, as some people like me have two left hands 
frown.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #660 of 1,710
Quote:
Would be nice if it was possible to buy these pads pre-modded, as some people like me have two left hands 
frown.gif

Please contact modulor as he is making a bulk amount of jergpads for folks like you and lazy people like me. See if he can add you to the list. The wait might be a bit longer for you since I believe he has already started making orders for others...Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back