= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Mar 19, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #571 of 1,710
Isn't it in the nature of bass to be affected by pads, or is the wavelength too long for the bass to resonate and be affected by the pads?

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #572 of 1,710
Quote:
Isn't it in the nature of bass to be affected by pads, or is the wavelength too long for the bass to resonate and be affected by the pads?

Sure it'll be affected, heck Part VI of the jergpad mod is aimed at exploiting the pads to squeeze out more sub-bass extension.

However my point was that even with the assumption that velour pads boost bass clarity relative to pleathers, measurements as well as subjective impressions still dictate that HE500+velours have woolier and more harmonically distorted bass than HE400+pleathers by a fair margin, meaning driver differences in bass quality far far outweigh what the pads could do.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #573 of 1,710
Thanks jerg,  this mod is just what i was looking for. Since switching to velours in the he-400 to me at least it sounds like some of the bass was lost compared to the pleathers, so i will doing this mod soon as i buy the stuff i need. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #574 of 1,710
Just did this! Up to step 2 at least; I ordered an extra pair of plethers, kind of wish I ordered an extra pair of velours as well now; though I think step 3 looks a bit too ugly for me :p. I'm really bad at describing sound; but if I had to say it I'd have to say that the mod makes everything more even throughout? Umm; I guess I'll use the specific example, I was using Welcome to Jungle as a test track, and the guitar and percussion pop out more and seem to be better balanced vs the vocals as opposed to before where they seemed kind of dimmer or muddy? I feel like the mod has opened up the cans a bit? I don't know I'm bad at this. It sounds better though; I just wish it didn't take so long for me to change the pads so that I could have better back and forth listening to get a better comparison.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #577 of 1,710
For part 1 of the mod, instead of doing the medium sized holes and then small ones on the inside; What if you just did very large holes that were the size of both small and mediums together? Are medium & small sized holes used to keep the integrity/structure of the fabric?

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #578 of 1,710
Quote:
For part 1 of the mod, instead of doing the medium sized holes and then small ones on the inside; What if you just did very large holes that were the size of both small and mediums together? Are medium & small sized holes used to keep the integrity/structure of the fabric?

Yep. With huge holes you risk tearing of the fabric and deformation of the foam inside. It's better to have consistently spaced small~medium holes.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #579 of 1,710
Hi Jerg... Yet another question, actually for anyone. I'm messing with EQ'ing these to neutrality. Can I trust the purrin csd/ freq response to be correct to the ear? As of now, I am trying to create the freq response in electri-q and then inverting it. The treble and high mids seem a bit too prominent and slightly metallic as of now, but the headphone gained some needed feel of not being laid back and it does sound more 'snappy'.

I might try messing with sineGen some time.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #580 of 1,710
Hey guys I have finished doing the mod on my HE 400 and am liking it quite a lot. I have done all the steps besides the velour mod, which I was reluctant to do because i was using the velour as a backup if i had mess up the other steps. I listen mostly to rock music, would you guys recommend doing the velour mod as well, comfort is not much of an issue to me. Thanks

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #581 of 1,710
Quote:
Hey guys I have finished doing the mod on my HE 400 and am liking it quite a lot. I have done all the steps besides the velour mod, which I was reluctant to do because i was using the velour as a backup if i had mess up the other steps. I listen mostly to rock music, would you guys recommend doing the velour mod as well, comfort is not much of an issue to me. Thanks

Absolutely. You should do it.

Don't hesistate. If it goes wrong, order a new pair of velours ($10).

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #582 of 1,710
Quote:

Depends on how you evaluate the current state of the sound signature that your HE400 produce with the earpad mods thus far.

The gist of the velour top mod is that it eliminates any trace of the "closed-in" effect that the pleather seal has on the sound signature, meaning you get a much more convincing out-of-the-head imaging, better separation, and a ton more airiness, without much difference in treble levels.

If you feel that your HE400s with jergpads Pt I/II/IV already has enough of an open soundstage and air for your tastes, then you can opt not to do Part III. If you feel adventuresome and want to push the envelope further and see where it takes it, then do Part III.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #584 of 1,710
Here's my attempt at the first part of the mod: 

My second pad, the first one wasn't too pretty.

The foam is peeking out a little because of the size of the holes.

I opted for larger holes instead of small+medium because the scissors I used to cut the holes weren't very good, and I didn't want to risk making the fabric too thin when adding the smalls.

My opinions part 1 of the mod:

Vocals less prominent, less harsh/sharp, and less emphasized, and more in line with the instruments. Sometimes vocals might be a little underwhelming after the mod (compared to what I was used to). Overall makes songs more smooth sounding. Maybe I could try covering some of the holes back up, or part way, to make it dampen less sound, and get it to a sweet spot.

Bass impact and the time that the bass sticks around seems to have lowered very slightly, compared to what I remember of the stock pleather pads. 

Does anyone else mess up their clips on the earpads when changing them in and out? I haven't found a perfect way to change them yet.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #585 of 1,710
Quote:

Here's my attempt at the first part of the mod: 

My second pad, the first one wasn't too pretty.

The foam is peeking out a little because of the size of the holes.

I opted for larger holes instead of small+medium because the scissors I used to cut the holes weren't very good, and I didn't want to risk making the fabric too thin when adding the smalls.

My opinions part 1 of the mod:

Vocals less prominent, less harsh/sharp, and less emphasized, and more in line with the instruments. Sometimes vocals might be a little underwhelming after the mod (compared to what I was used to). Overall makes songs more smooth sounding. Maybe I could try covering some of the holes back up, or part way, to make it dampen less sound, and get it to a sweet spot.

Bass impact and the time that the bass sticks around seems to have lowered very slightly, compared to what I remember of the stock pleather pads. 

Does anyone else mess up their clips on the earpads when changing them in and out? I haven't found a perfect way to change them yet.

Cheers for documenting your modification progress.

I'm guessing what you mean by vocals become less prominent is that it's less "glared" plus the treble might be a bit more even and less sharp.

Wait till the sub-bass mod if you have concerns with regards to bass tactility / extension.

For proper pad changing, use a credit card to pop those clips/tabs in and out.

P.S. I can't help but notice you still got space on those to put in one more ring of smaller holes on the inner circumference of the flipped pads; the smaller holes can be fit in between each large hole (as done by what I showed in first post).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back