= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Dec 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #1,381 of 1,710
Next batch will go out Sunday/Monday, so keep an eye out for PMs 
cool.gif
  This should be the majority of them...

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #1,383 of 1,710
Jerg & Ryan,

You 2 can call me a believer and also very impressed!!!  I want to personally thank Jerg for coming up with this awesome improved pads and Ryan for putting the job together expertly.

On both my Woo WA22 and Emotiva Mini-X, my HE500 sounds significantly better, especially on the Emo with smoother and still very airy highs now.  On the WA22, the bass is more thumping than before.  Overall, very coherent and balanced.  I am still getting used to the new decay across the FR but very pleased with what I am hearing.  Here are a few impressions in the PM between me and modulor :

WA22 for this comparison:

• Female vocals are noticeably thicker in the upper range.  This is approaching closer to what I would get from the HD800. Very nice !!!  I like I like  :)
  • Bass at this point seems to have a "tighter" thumping to it.  Not as wooly/wet as stock pads. This in turn reduces/masks the audible amount of the sub-bass a bit.  More tracks will help confirm this.
  • Overall less/shorter decay for sure compared to stock velour.  This = cleaner overall sound across the FR.  Not 100% I will like this or prefer the stock decay.
  • Still airy and open in the upper frequencies but definitely "less" sparkling.  A nice balance overall I believe.

beerchug.gif

Job well done to you both and again, thank you.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,384 of 1,710
  Jerg & Ryan,

You 2 can call me a believer and also very impressed!!!  I want to personally thank Jerg for coming up with this awesome improved pads and Ryan for putting the job together expertly.

On both my Woo WA22 and Emotiva Mini-X, my HE500 sounds significantly better, especially on the Emo with smoother and still very airy highs now.  On the WA22, the bass is more thumping than before.  Overall, very coherent and balanced.  I am still getting used to the new decay across the FR but very pleased with what I am hearing.  Here are a few impressions in the PM between me and modulor :

WA22 for this comparison:

• Female vocals are noticeably thicker in the upper range.  This is approaching closer to what I would get from the HD800. Very nice !!!  I like I like  :)
  • Bass at this point seems to have a "tighter" thumping to it.  Not as wooly/wet as stock pads. This in turn reduces/masks the audible amount of the sub-bass a bit.  More tracks will help confirm this.
  • Overall less/shorter decay for sure compared to stock velour.  This = cleaner overall sound across the FR.  Not 100% I will like this or prefer the stock decay.
  • Still airy and open in the upper frequencies but definitely "less" sparkling.  A nice balance overall I believe.

beerchug.gif

Job well done to you both and again, thank you.

If you are used to a particular sound, it'll undoubtedly take a little bit of time for your brain to understand the new tonal balance. Keep listening and do share more matured impressions, whether it be positive or negative.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,385 of 1,710
If you are used to a particular sound, it'll undoubtedly take a little bit of time for your brain to understand the new tonal balance. Keep listening and do share more matured impressions, whether it be positive or negative.

There were certain aspects of the upper mid range I had to get used to when modding my pads (damping hole mod only). 

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,389 of 1,710
I received my Jergpads today- A big Thanks to Modulor, the build quality is professional and amazing. And a big thanks to Jerg for the knowledge and foresight to conceive this mod. Looking forward to hearing the results very soon.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,390 of 1,710
I received my Jergpads today- A big Thanks to Modulor, the build quality is professional and amazing. And a big thanks to Jerg for the knowledge and foresight to conceive this mod. Looking forward to hearing the results very soon.

the first post in this thread has a video of the install that should help.

Here is a screen shot form the video.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,391 of 1,710
Trying not to overstate it, but the Jergpads are outstanding. Recordings where the cymbals were grating, are tamed and much more enjoyable now. Perhaps even more dramatic though- the music has more body- a more realistic timbre to it. Not sure if I'm describing it right, but there's an amazing improvement to the entire presentation. Bravo gentlemen, Bravo.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,392 of 1,710
Trying not to overstate it, but the Jergpads are outstanding. Recordings where the cymbals were grating, are tamed and much more enjoyable now. Perhaps even more dramatic though, is the music has more body- a more realistic timbre to it. Not sure if I'm describing it right, but there's an amazing improvement to the entire presentation. Bravo gentlemen, Bravo.

you are just dreamin.  It's a total placebo effect.  Wake me up please when you are done. 
biggrin.gif

Kidding asides, you are dead on when you said "more body", timbre is much "thicker" and more balanced.  I am enjoying my jergpads very much too for the past couple days.
I haven't done the bass port mod yet.  Not sure If I will though.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,394 of 1,710
  you are just dreamin.  It's a total placebo effect.  Wake me up please when you are done. 
biggrin.gif

Kidding asides, you are dead on when you said "more body", timbre is much "thicker" and more balanced.  I am enjoying my jergpads very much too for the past couple days.
I haven't done the bass port mod yet.  Not sure If I will though.

I think jergpad madness has affected your brain.  Bass port mod is for the Q701, et al.  If you find a bass port on the HE-500s, you be sure to post some pix  
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,395 of 1,710

I think jergpad madness has affected your brain.  Bass port mod is for the Q701, et al.  If you find a bass port on the HE-500s, you be sure to post some pix  
wink.gif

lmao.  After couple glasses of wine, they are all "port" to me or just holes for something to go through.  
biggrin.gif

It was the bass vent mod that I was referring to for Jergpads.  
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back