= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Dec 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #1,367 of 1,710
So i just tried this a couple of days ago and i must say that it's very impressive, not a subtle change at all. Took me a while to get it done but with the right tools and patience it's easily doable. I managed to find a scalpel with some extra blades and when i was cutting the holes i felt like a surgeon haha! 

Now i need to improve the comfort, that clamping force is just a bit too much and the reason i used beyer pads before. Speaking of which how long should i leave it stretched out before it takes effect? 

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,368 of 1,710
  So i just tried this a couple of days ago and i must say that it's very impressive, not a subtle change at all. Took me a while to get it done but with the right tools and patience it's easily doable. I managed to find a scalpel with some extra blades and when i was cutting the holes i felt like a surgeon haha! 

Now i need to improve the comfort, that clamping force is just a bit too much and the reason i used beyer pads before. Speaking of which how long should i leave it stretched out before it takes effect? 

Don't leave it stretched out, instead, actively use firm but even force to flex the headband. It's spring steel so it has some memory to it.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,369 of 1,710
  Don't leave it stretched out, instead, actively use firm but even force to flex the headband. It's spring steel so it has some memory to it.

Ok i'll give that a shot, hope this will help because i had this phone since early this year and recently it has become more of a problem. But that might be because i lost some of the padding on my head since i started living a bit healthier hehehe.

Thanks Jerg!

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,370 of 1,710
  Ok i'll give that a shot, hope this will help because i had this phone since early this year and recently it has become more of a problem. But that might be because i lost some of the padding on my head since i started living a bit healthier hehehe.

Thanks Jerg!

The only part you need to watch out are the ends of the headband where the extenders/logo pieces screw into the band, those are rather fragile, so you want to restrict the flexing to parts of the headband away from the two ends.

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,371 of 1,710
The only part you need to watch out are the ends of the headband where the extenders/logo pieces screw into the band, those are rather fragile, so you want to restrict the flexing to parts of the headband away from the two ends.

Yeah that's what i figured, so after some bending it seems a bit better already. Also i went ahead and used some oil to loosen up the joints and it seems to help as well.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,373 of 1,710
  You can still get close to them.

For small heads like mine, I feel it's preferable to try to make a "square shape" with the headband rather than a rounded one. Which means bending the sides (with care for the joint).

For me that is a bad idea, because making it more square-ish means more of a "hotspot" at the very top of the headband. A better adjustment IMO is to bend out the 2:30 and 10:30 positions. This way the top portion still retains a curvature but the cups are farther away.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,374 of 1,710
  For me that is a bad idea, because making it more square-ish means more of a "hotspot" at the very top of the headband. A better adjustment IMO is to bend out the 2:30 and 10:30 positions. This way the top portion still retains a curvature but the cups are farther away.

Of course the goal is not to make it perfectly flat up top. But you get my point.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,375 of 1,710

Of course the goal is not to make it perfectly flat up top. But you get my point.

Kinda...the method I'm suggesting is the opposite of making the curvature square-ish though, since it'd be flexing outward at the two "corner" spots of the headband, rather than inward.

Ultimately it comes down to the person's individual skull curvature. If the stock headband config gives you a hotspot up top, flex the top in and the sides out, etc etc for other fit issues, it's basically remolding the curvature as close to the listener's head curvature as closely as possible.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #1,377 of 1,710
  I'm hoping we can get our pads before Christmas haha.

I'm curious too so I shot a PM at Modulor, here's his update for batch #2 (I also edited this into first post of the thread)

Modulor's Jergpads Update (Click to hide)
* * * 12/17/13 Update * * *

As of now I have about half of the jergpad pairs completely ready (all they need are bubble mailers) and will be sent out over the next day or two.  I am planning on shipping using my tracker list which is in order of of initial interest expressed, since I am desperate to get them out the door as quick as possible.  The remainders will be completed by this weekend, as each pad only has one step remaining, and will be shipped by Monday at the latest.  I know this is a busy time of year for everyone, and has been particularly hectic for myself, so I greatly appreciate the positive support and understanding from those participating.  
Ryan (modulor)

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,379 of 1,710
  I'm curious too so I shot a PM at Modulor, here's his update for batch #2 (I also edited this into first post of the thread)

Modulor's Jergpads Update (Click to hide)
* * * 12/17/13 Update * * *

As of now I have about half of the jergpad pairs completely ready (all they need are bubble mailers) and will be sent out over the next day or two.  I am planning on shipping using my tracker list which is in order of of initial interest expressed, since I am desperate to get them out the door as quick as possible.  The remainders will be completed by this weekend, as each pad only has one step remaining, and will be shipped by Monday at the latest.  I know this is a busy time of year for everyone, and has been particularly hectic for myself, so I greatly appreciate the positive support and understanding from those participating.  
Ryan (modulor)

Sweet, got a tracking number, scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  If you can believe USPS tracking that is...
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #1,380 of 1,710
^ just got mine and still savoring at the job well done by modulor.  My pads do smell good too.  Not sure what modulor sprayed it with. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back