HiFiMan HE5
Apr 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

matti620

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
Will used HiFiMan HE5 for $465 be the best use of the money? I can't test them as I couldn't find them (or many other) headphones locally.
They seem to have been discontinued and replaced with other models.
I'll probably get the HiFiMan EF2A to drive them.
I listen 50% to rock/pop and 50% to classical. I don't have much experience with higher end equipment, only some of the middle sony models, which always sounded too fatiguing to me...

thanks for your advice.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 6
That's really not apples to apples or a fair comparison. Different technology and different sound. I just received the he400 so I need some time to listen. I'd say that the he400 needs a bit more of an amp but is on sale for $40 less so that's basically a wash. The denon is all about sub bass and sparkle on the treble. It's a very colored sound...a fun sound which I happen to like a lot. 

The he400 is planar, so it's fully open, detailed, airy, great sound stage and instrument separation. They both are heavy phones with the he400 weighing a little more and both are intended for home use and not very portable. Removable cable on the he400. I think that they complement each other well so they would make a good set to own together.

Quote:
Thanks for your great help.

Will the HE400 perform better with a low end amp ?

How does the Denon AH-D5000 compare with the he400 and he5 ?

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 6
I found the HE-5LE priced for $315:
http://camover.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6189&offer_id=B004IZSC1C

Isn't it the best alternative, especially when considering a more decent amp could be used (Objective2 Headphone Amplifier?) ?

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 6
That price is really good!! Don't know anything about that website though. You should check them out. The o2 and the he5le would be a nice combo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back