Hifiman HE400se
Apr 15, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #511 of 670
I noticed some chips on the magnets of my new cans bought from amazon, and one of them has white specks on the coil. I don't notice any problem with the sound though. Would be a pain to have to return them and re-buy them, but should I?
That will not compromise the magnets, so I wouldn't worry about that at all IMO.

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #512 of 670
I noticed some chips on the magnets of my new cans bought from amazon, and one of them has white specks on the coil. I don't notice any problem with the sound though. Would be a pain to have to return them and re-buy them, but should I?
That magnet array looks fine to me. I think HE400SE is built using a lot of leftover parts from manufacturing the higher end ones, the parts that aren't up to the aesthetics or performance standards for those top end models. I'm pretty sure the magnetic flux isn't overly affected, I wouldn't be so worried.

As for the white specks, those are simply crinkles that can develop over time with planars, also pretty normal. As long as there is no delamination of the conductive traces, it should be fine.

Apr 16, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #513 of 670
I think the slight marks and wrinkles on the diaphragm / traces seems pretty normal. I have not noticed chips on magnets but, looking at it, the chips must have happened before they were assembled or the magnet chips would be stuck to the magnets. Personally, I would not bother returning them, I doubt it would have any effect on the sound and once you put the pads on you won't be able to see it.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #516 of 670
Good review. Source plays a big part in the bass response IMO. Clearly your setup helps there. With the 400se, I ended up preferring my Sanskrit 10th II with K5 Pro as AMP... this allowed it some added warmth which helped thicken up the lower notes. It's a great all rounder and at the price - especially as you can pick them up for less than £100 on eBay pre-owned if you don't mind used - it's ano brainer if you're after a planar

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #522 of 670
Can´t believe I slept on these headphones. Vocals are out of this world. All of HE400SE cons is what makes this headphones so simple and pure on the vocals. I don´t care too much about the soundstage, this headphone does something Sundara, Arya and even Susvara can´t!

The Earman tr-amp is not powerful enough. These headphone needs serious power!

My initial thought was this combo could make a good decent gaming setup...I can not get them of my head when I have them on. They have the sweet delicate soft texture I get from the character of Susvara but much more. This headphone popped out of the matrix!

I know its been only 2 days of burnin with them, but damn, they are good!

1690056867259.png

Jul 22, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #525 of 670
I find it funny that some claim they are sharp in the highs, I rather have the impression they are tuned a bit dark.
Sundara is much sharper in the highs. 400SE have a lot of emphasis on the highs, but never the same as Sundara or Arya. Its so well tuned even though it lacks a little in the lows. Im a big fan of these.

So I will be disappointed If I will buy it?
They are good but I dont feel they are a upgrade to 400SE. I rather try the Ananda(nano) or if you can get the Arya cheap.

Don´t get me wrong Sundara sounds more right a little wider soundstage, better lowend, but I still like 400SE better after 2-3 days of burnin. I have owned Sundara 2020 and the latest "2023", the second purchase(for gaming) did not excite me as much as 400SE, I was actually a little dissapointed.

In my opinion you need a higher jump than Sundara. I took the jump to AryaV2 and felt the worth and forgot the Sundaras pretty fast. It was the soundstage and separation that made it worth for me.

Try all your options, we don´t have the same ears. Im just still on the honeymoon with these cans. Thinking back Sundaras feels more forced, harder, sharper more "accurate". They don´t have the delicate sound tuning, a notch laidback like 400SE.

If I could pick one headphone only from the Hifiman range it would be the Arya V2. I like it so much I got the Organic on the way too.

Susvara is good and has this "endless" soundstage, sometimes I get lost in the music. I have tried it on more expensive systems(Viva Egoista, MSB Headamp premier, Enleum) ... 400SE and Arya V2 are the best buys for entry-mid-level.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back