Hifiman HE400se
Mar 19, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #451 of 674
I use 3.5mm out on BTR5 (80mw/32ohm) and barely a sound at max in the 4xx (close to 400se in power requirement)

That being said, i was also considering 400SE vs 400i (2020) and ended getting the latter one because it require less power than 400se.
400SE apparently more refined in treble but 400i (2020) require around 30% less power so my mini portable dac still can run it to decent volume. I'm currently using with dragonfly red which are around 120mw
Yeah, I don't think the target market for the 400SE is someone plugging it into a phone: not enough juice.

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #452 of 674
I use 3.5mm out on BTR5 (80mw/32ohm) and barely a sound at max in the 4xx (close to 400se in power requirement)

That being said, i was also considering 400SE vs 400i (2020) and ended getting the latter one because it require less power than 400se.
400SE apparently more refined in treble but 400i (2020) require around 30% less power so my mini portable dac still can run it to decent volume. I'm currently using with dragonfly red which are around 120mw

Yeah, I don't think the target market for the 400SE is someone plugging it into a phone: not enough juice.
Something else to keep in mind, ortho dynamic drivers are hard to figure on how much they need. Because amperage is actually the measurement that decides how well they will be driven. They can be driven from the weakest phone or the strongest amp but if they can't provide the amperage they need the driver will not be excited in the proper way. Of course, most good amps will indeed provide the needed amperage though.

I use my DX300 or DX160 to drive all of my ortho DDs. There is a huge difference; and I'm not just talking about the quality of the output sound from a phone alone, but the DX300 can put out more than 2a where a phone cannot, no matter the mW it can muster. Thats not to say they can't sound satisfying with just a phone, you just won't hear the full potential.

Food for thought!:relaxed:

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #453 of 674
Might be because the impedance of the HE400SE is half of what the Monolith are. Meaning that perhaps the LG phone is kicking in the "high impedance" setting with the Monolith. There are ways to trick the phone into this mode though. Just food for thought.

Personally I wouldn't drive either of those wonderful headgear with a phone. You are missing out on both of what they can give IMHO.
You are right about the LG phone kick into high impedance mode for the M1060. How can I forget this? I have 5 LG phones for my family specifically because of the Qaud DAC features.

So to use HE400SE with my LG phone, I may use the 50ohm resistor extension cord trick.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #454 of 674
Something else to keep in mind, ortho dynamic drivers are hard to figure on how much they need. Because amperage is actually the measurement that decides how well they will be driven. They can be driven from the weakest phone or the strongest amp but if they can't provide the amperage they need the driver will not be excited in the proper way. Of course, most good amps will indeed provide the needed amperage though.

I use my DX300 or DX160 to drive all of my ortho DDs. There is a huge difference; and I'm not just talking about the quality of the output sound from a phone alone, but the DX300 can put out more than 2a where a phone cannot, no matter the mW it can muster. Thats not to say they can't sound satisfying with just a phone, you just won't hear the full potential.

Food for thought!:relaxed:
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

I totally agree with you.

Headphones like Arya, Ananda, He400i, He400se can be easy to hear even on a simple cell phone, but people confuse loud sound with quality sound, a cell phone a simple amp like a BTR3 / 5 can make a loud sound in these headphones , but it is far from being a maximum quality sound that these headphones can achieve because there will be a lack of current, it is very common for many to give up on staying with a HE400s and in simple comparisons against HD560s for examples because in the same simple source of energy the hd560s will do better with low current, where the planar line does not do well with low current, it will lack punch, detailing, stage etc.
Planar headphones always demand, demand high current that only good amplifiers deliver.

An example of low cost but that takes good advantage of these headphones above would be the Xduoo MT604 amp is amazing the ability of this small amp to feed Ananda, HE400i and HE400se, I was so happy with the results that I sold my Schiit Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 2 stack that specification has much more current than the xduoo mt604.

Mar 20, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #455 of 674
:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

I totally agree with you.

Headphones like Arya, Ananda, He400i, He400se can be easy to hear even on a simple cell phone, but people confuse loud sound with quality sound, a cell phone a simple amp like a BTR3 / 5 can make a loud sound in these headphones , but it is far from being a maximum quality sound that these headphones can achieve because there will be a lack of current, it is very common for many to give up on staying with a HE400s and in simple comparisons against HD560s for examples because in the same simple source of energy the hd560s will do better with low current, where the planar line does not do well with low current, it will lack punch, detailing, stage etc.
Planar headphones always demand, demand high current that only good amplifiers deliver.

An example of low cost but that takes good advantage of these headphones above would be the Xduoo MT604 amp is amazing the ability of this small amp to feed Ananda, HE400i and HE400se, I was so happy with the results that I sold my Schiit Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 2 stack that specification has much more current than the xduoo mt604.
Very well said!

I don't blame the consumer for being impatient with all of these; they don't know any better because there is nowhere that tells of this (except maybe here and other forums). I blame the manufacturers. While Hifiman are outstanding planar headphones (price/performance ratio), they market them as being able to be driven from a phone (it is a huge part of their advertising on these), targeting more to the masses. While this isn't totally untrue, they don't offer the fact that they will sound much better with a source that can provide those needed amps. I would almost call it necessary because if they are driven improperly, they don't really even sound as good as cheap "regular" DD headphones IMO.

It is not a straight out lie, but omission of the truth is still a lie. They are trying to capture a more "budget" segment that previously was only held by high-end seekers, by leading you to believe that you might have similar "audiophile" sound with MUCh less money. Let's face it, the best way to get TOTL sound is still about knowing what is needed to achieve that (and most times it takes more dollars than a just a phone can provide).

On the other hand, I DO appreciate the fact that companies like Hifiman are making higher-end sound available to the masses with their "trickle-down-technology". It is up to you (joe consumer) to know what it takes to make them sing; so to speak.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #456 of 674
Very well said!

I don't blame the consumer for being impatient with all of these; they don't know any better because there is nowhere that tells of this (except maybe here and other forums). I blame the manufacturers. While Hifiman are outstanding planar headphones (price/performance ratio), they market them as being able to be driven from a phone (it is a huge part of their advertising on these), targeting more to the masses. While this isn't totally untrue, they don't offer the fact that they will sound much better with a source that can provide those needed amps. I would almost call it necessary because if they are driven improperly, they don't really even sound as good as cheap "regular" DD headphones IMO.

It is not a straight out lie, but omission of the truth is still a lie. They are trying to capture a more "budget" segment that previously was only held by high-end seekers, by leading you to believe that you might have similar "audiophile" sound with MUCh less money. Let's face it, the best way to get TOTL sound is still about knowing what is needed to achieve that (and most times it takes more dollars than a just a phone can provide).

On the other hand, I DO appreciate the fact that companies like Hifiman are making higher-end sound available to the masses with their "trickle-down-technology". It is up to you (joe consumer) to know what it takes to make them sing; so to speak.
Well, the Schiit Magni 3+ definitely makes the HE-X4's sing. I'm debating right now whether high or low gain makes them "sing" more. I think, if my ears are not deceiving me, and I do try to volume match (no equipment to tell me), that the high gain mode pushes the mids a little more forward. That seems to be the case, as the mids are more present in high gain to me, subjectively listening. Given that these measure a little shy in the 2Khz range, I suspect that makes a difference in the 400SE and HE-X4, which are pretty similar according to reviewers.

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #457 of 674
Fed Zishan Dual AK4497 to THX AAA 789 and tested HE400se against my slightly modded M1060 (deadening tapes and fuzzer). Played 2Cellos movie theme songs like Game of Thrones. And Eva Cassidy Live At Bules Alley. No contest. M1060 won by a large margin.

With my LG phone, the HE400se is not loud enough.
Guess the HE400se/Zishan DSD may become the semi-portable combo.

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #458 of 674
Diy box Dac D10 Bal :L3000:

TY8RCgMFLusQwJlT2e_F-Vj_nREM6ZxHesNbcAnpxFwS6Xv_3ZPqkF2BxsGzN-Tve7jr2Qxzx7MiBSB6j0VpYIrBu6D_hVt0LjQTvEYVybTwKQF8OWE-FIYjgOyDHNxykeayJQ6vi4OI0jWTmFVNNeuqqxr8Y5kAdP3ii1-MCiPnyfs5QDzrnZhTriVbvgEXw7qJSOiRWLe74mD8lZi7PZUL6goBoBQ2KLoF-86lRhKBsCQRcbfz84eyk5ZrYiOl_QFYzpkuLsYV3ITLcLsecx8K_x4KHonrZErsOq-EIrYDfv6nO6IIXchs3EtI-xKKTNabNGIvjuPrjCqqWR8uzFzoNX8hAE2hfJY53AQZpZYn6kiFNKStQshhs2kbFY7cNaL6neym6rcOHPuM-yqbySJPpzTiVm1XAQhIx4o_Y1-ooT3BoR4F5GbMt7h21vCyQ3DYURSLzbK3Cm1DFTo6nruI2Vi6F6BLSUJmkQm4ok_pWdR50tOIwSpF8rO9df5D4rq3kAPf5swWyVLUzG1kN341uDW48CV7IxyjlMihKW_X3Zoivo637_Judu1RPeU5xv8sT1wJ-Wd8dqyJW0TpFimv-x8ulS9_Im9DzOo0ImwJvW3u29sOjfzNdkqzIMfwVLxHDK38nI1cjqJtE9WIIxhURfEIteXozifPwFYqgjywPV1sPoNAy7h_YsIXi7vlQ8LMBseycuZR6lC_BD_OnKdhqG45epdgacxvWX9lZP1IUD6JJAj20dKuKJSr=w3249-h1830-no

2K-9KbMKNmonvSwOqMmcpx2ekgMj3wm8LVb3LMNTQw4tKpkkmf8vwkKIwD18izwrwTHTZ0JlWgzdD922J8yuVTabvQXsMm2Sv4r8lujYo0OPb3d7jV2c_YfSEZmTbaTaZGz_GlH5zWGPdR-5hAYU7KlEnPyKxg0BukJL_E_cwuPLU-2KAlRa0UBYl7AkfOnVe-rtGoeRCd-LZR2wdKl5SS1i1PJJUgxCxUxnNV_tTPw8AZYWX4qDRWS80rBWbz9IgaOsheLf-QxEXVCkHE91fdB4etRJrL_1qzw7QDkK9VMVpPkV6B5aJaH7kP1Oi41SvrEVfAoLoCIJjLBT4JOPPeKLvPdnINLZYOWCqcrI41M1xb1X0vk9jF02E_o0pb2NiQ5IENVq3wEOsNRN-BH916COkYLrMefEQOpNxGIqCWX7COc1PY4NNJiE-7iTmQu7ql5JPo5_kYsJcdz3woMkJ4lFX_MUIMwOUeS9mZGcmumFTAfz1cvWSgfVMU8BpYPMvBebo9AEA6O-xfOdlkfmPlhH0suL7nKe59Hn7J0NQQgb6HAEEp6qNl8AndQikyVXARNFtGVCA5RYFOQ0v4y9l-Kga9mwnZkvzXIc_rOMubv102GtnNQT2sDJFhOFIJk2w6qqj1rbQq7xUDKYhXV3aF4ptYODiEqQqQoXjrCgXVvCrWxi_99pq2dn4RAZmLBmaHxKRpzA5msR_wxG0yE4vu-VzIXk1XJBFCLLiPsKRrjLNA61DdOlTh4XMtrm=w3249-h1830-no

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #460 of 674
Fun Easter egg, it says Stealth Magnets on the under side of one of the yokes 🙂

May 4, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #461 of 674
New to this thread but I've been having a blast with modifying these headphones. I'm a planar addict and couldn't help myself getting such an affordable pair. Started with a simple earpad mount but added waveguides:
IMG_20220503_225157.jpg

STL file is here if you'd like to try them out. After these prints and some ZMF pads, these guys have some nice low end that was missing from the stock configuration IMO. I absolutely love how easy it is to get access to mod these headphones.

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #462 of 674
Hi all, I have just ordered the HE400SE following the many favourable reviews on the forum and I was wondering if my FiiO E10K DAC (Olympus 2) will be sufficient to power the headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back