Hifiman HE400se
Mar 31, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #91 of 664
I did a
So. Anybody else got a chance to listen to these? Do they sound the same as the HE400i 2020? How's the soundstage and instrument separation?

I did a comparo with the 4xx. They are pretty much the same headphone driver with different build and maybe different pads than the HE400i 2020 from what I've read.

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #92 of 664
OK, so I found a good deal on the Drop HE-5xx.

Yes, many have wanted to compare. I wish I had some measuring equipment but I don't.

Physically speaking, besides the obvious stuff like headband, the 5xx exterior has a *slight* oval shape. The drivers are a different configuration. Where both the 4xx and 400SE have the same length magnet bars up and down the cup, the 5xx has 4 full length magnets in the middle flanked by 2+2 shorter bar. Both the 5xx and 400SE have double magnets (1 on each side) where the 4xx has is onesided.

To my ears, they sound identical. You can hear a big difference compared to the HE-4xx I also have. Its the same differences.. the HE5xx/HE400SE has slightly more distorted, less bassy low end and more highs and both have more soundstage than the 4xx.

The ONLY difference I could perceive was the the HE400SE had more soundstage. So I looked at the cups... Aha!!!... the 400SE has is a hair deeper cup. See photo below. This is the back of the pad/cup where the pad is thickest. As you can see, the silver HE400 cup is slightly deeper/thicker. This can easily account for the larger stage. Its not a ton bigger but it was noticeable.

0402211020.jpg

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #93 of 664
I'm thinking the HE400SE is staying and the 5xx and 4xx are going to classifieds. I'm very happy with the 400SE. Its essentially the same as the 5xx. Also the 400SE build quality is actually better IMHO. It has a bit more heft to it while the 5xx feels cheaper. The 4xx oddly enough feels the best made of all 3 and also the heaviest.

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #94 of 664
The 400se continue to impress me more with every use. Again, I was very wrong about the soundstage being smaller than the Sennheiser HD 560s. The 400se's is bigger, definitely confirmed by pretty lengthy A/B testing last night.

The clarity and balance of the 400se and the HD 560s also is making me reconsider my devotion to the Meze 99 Classics. Ah, the rabbit hole digs deeper ... :)

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #95 of 664
The 400se continue to impress me more with every use. Again, I was very wrong about the soundstage being smaller than the Sennheiser HD 560s. The 400se's is bigger, definitely confirmed by pretty lengthy A/B testing last night.

The clarity and balance of the 400se and the HD 560s also is making me reconsider my devotion to the Meze 99 Classics. Ah, the rabbit hole digs deeper ... :)
As an aside, the HiFiMan HE-400se and Sennheiser HD 560s both have unique strengths and weaknesses. But the biggest deciding factor for me right now between the two is control.

The Senns can collapse into a little bit of a wall of sound with some complex or aggressive sequences of music, while everything stays in its right place with whatever you throw at the HE-400se. This isn't a revelation, as I think someone in here posted that as the difference (Sorry -- I visit and post in so many headphone forums I can't keep track :)).

Maybe that's the difference between planar and dynamic, as this is my first planar. But I've never heard headphones with control like this. The sound never turns to mush or gargle.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #96 of 664
I would really recommend HE400SE for those who would like to venture into Planar Open Back Headphones as this is the 1st for me too. Now I'm hooked. Matched it with balanced cable and DAC/AMP like Lotoo PAW S1 and you good to go. The only thing that I disliked this headphone is that I cannot bring it to sleep as it will annoys my wife beside me.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #100 of 664
Deva and 5xx sound identical to me.
Never heard the 4xx.

The 4XX was boring to me and I eventually sold mine. I really like the 5XX. I also have difficulty discerning the difference between the 5XX and Deva and have both. I prefer the more conservative coloring on the 5XX and the headband also on it over the Deva, but I really like the single-sided cable setup on the Deva which enables the Bluemini Bluetooth dongle, and I tend to use the Deva wirelessly almost exclusively and of course the 5XX I used wired and so the dual-entry is nice since it enables me to use any of my many cables, including balanced cables, with the 5XX, easily.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #101 of 664
I prefer the 5xx design and the double sided cable because I can easily run it balanced.
I own both.
Till now the 5xx/Deva was my favorite Hifiman tuning at least up to big boys.
Now I don't want to rush things but I think that we have here an unexpected surprise...

BTW - Hifiman have a talent to design the worst cables someone can imagine...

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #102 of 664
The 4XX was boring to me and I eventually sold mine. I really like the 5XX. I also have difficulty discerning the difference between the 5XX and Deva and have both. I prefer the more conservative coloring on the 5XX and the headband also on it over the Deva, but I really like the single-sided cable setup on the Deva which enables the Bluemini Bluetooth dongle, and I tend to use the Deva wirelessly almost exclusively and of course the 5XX I used wired and so the dual-entry is nice since it enables me to use any of my many cables, including balanced cables, with the 5XX, easily.

I liked the 4xx up until I got the 400SE. Do you you hear any difference between the 400SE and Deva/5xx? I can't besides the stage being a bit bigger on the 400SE like I said a few posts up.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #103 of 664
I liked the 4xx up until I got the 400SE. Do you you hear any difference between the 400SE and Deva/5xx? I can't besides the stage being a bit bigger on the 400SE like I said a few posts up.
HE5xx is definitely more bright and shouty especially at higher volumes.
Can resolve better but it sounds more metallic.
Bass is better extended and way more dynamic and visceral.
Voices sound much better on the 400SE.
400SE can handle higher spl better.
Bass is more lean and less dynamic.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #104 of 664
HE5xx is definitely more bright and shouty especially at higher volumes.
Can resolve better but it sounds more metallic.
Bass is better extended and way more dynamic and visceral.
Voices sound much better on the 400SE.
400SE can handle higher spl better.
Bass is more lean and less dynamic.

And the 5xx seems more flimsy. Its too bad they didn't keep the 4xx cups/headband/etc. That felt much nicer. My 5xx is going to classifieds after a week from getting them. Not worth having both and the 400SE is better IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back