Hifiman HE400se
Apr 4, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #121 of 670
What the sound signature like? Are the stealth magnets verison different from the Chinese release?
I wouldn't expect these to perform on the level of high-end model with stealth magnets. So, 'stealth magnets' is just marketting. This one is more or less on the level of 5XX, but with better bass impact. Sound dynamics get better as you go to higher-end models. Also the imaging. 5XX imaging maybe slightly better. This one has better headband.

Fantastic value for what spend you get at this price and being a planar. Most people should be thrilled Hifiman can go this low and provide nonwonky planar sound.

What I notice about 5XX and this 400se is the mids are not defined fully compared to top Hifimans if I were to be picky. Also the imaging, bass articulation, and dynamics get better with the top models. In order to get real impactful bass, it's the classic 500 or 6.

Maybe this does have the Hifiman 2k dip and maybe around 3k. Not wonky, but just not that tonally full upper-mids as I've heard with top models.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #122 of 670
What the sound signature like? Are the stealth magnets verison different from the Chinese release?
Reference like natural tuning.
In my opinion and taste this is the best tuned HiFiMan headphone up to the Arya (including it).
According to my hearing perception the Bass on the 5xx is more visceral and slightly more dynamic.
HE400SE is more tight and better controlled but leaner.

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #124 of 670
The sound is balanced. Very good soundstage and imaging. Timbre is lovely. Again, my biggest wow is the control. This is my first planar, and everything stays in its place, even during complex, aggressive sections of music. The sound doesn't turn to mush or a wall of sound.

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #125 of 670
By the way advertising this as a portable friendly headphone is of course a joke.
I need 70/100 at high gain with the iBasso DX300 balanced out to enjoy it and is not full sounding as I am hearing it from more powerful amps.
100 percent. You definitely need an amp for these headphones. I'm using the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro at high gain (2 volts), and I'm reaching comfortable volume at around 65-70 percent of my volume on my iPhone 12.

These cans CANNOT be driven properly by an iPhone. Maybe a high-power LG, but not an iPhone.

Apr 4, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #127 of 670
By the way advertising this as a portable friendly headphone is of course a joke.
I need 70/100 at high gain with the iBasso DX300 balanced out to enjoy it and is not full sounding as I am hearing it from more powerful amps.
Yeah, I have the HE400S (22ohms @ 98DB) and while I CAN drive it from a phone, it takes some good amping to drive them well. The same goes for my Tin Hifi P1 (also planars, and toted as being able to be used from a phone, 20ohms @ 96DB). With both the HE400S and the P1, I tried SE out of my DX160 (600mw) and it did sound good, but then I did 4.4mm out of balanced (1.2W), and they sounded great! I have noticed with all planars (that I have had or listened to anyhow) on paper they can be driven just fine out of a phone or low power source. In reality though, they need some extra power to sound their best (just my personal observations).
OK, it's no secret by now I love the HE-400se International version headphones. But the stock cable is janky as f*ck. Does anyone know any good replacements? Thanks.
There are a lot of cables floating around on Flea-bay, and Spamazon (like THIS one that I got for the HE400S. NewFantasia seems to be a decent cable maker. I also got one for my HD700 at one time) that are decently good, but THESE are pretty great cables, especially if you want to be able to change connectors out from time to time. IMO though, cable swapping isn't as useful on the sound as some IEMs I have listened to, other than to get rid of a cable that you don't much like.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #128 of 670
Besides advice for replacement for the janky cable, what would be a good budget DAC/amp stack for the 400se International edition? JDS Labs Atom? Schiit Magni-Modi? I'm looking to stay in that $200-250 USD sweet spot, and I know every DAC/amp has different sound characteristics.

Thanks! These headphones sound so good $150 it's scary.

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #129 of 670
Besides advice for replacement for the janky cable, what would be a good budget DAC/amp stack for the 400se International edition? JDS Labs Atom? Schiit Magni-Modi? I'm looking to stay in that $200-250 USD sweet spot, and I know every DAC/amp has different sound characteristics.

For myself, I cannot answer which one would be best if you are looking for anything except mobile DAP, because that is all I use ATM. But, if you are possibly wanting to use a mobile solution (that can also be used as a DAC/amp stationary), then I would suggest you look at some great mid-tier DAPs that all punch above their price point. I would look at the iBasso DX160, or the Fiio M11 Pro, or the Hiby R5 Saber, or the Cayin N3 (tube DAP). You really can't go wrong with any of those, and it will come down to what coloration you prefer the most. I believe these are ALL a bit higher than the price point you quoted, but IMO they are all worth the bit of extra cash you might spend invest into it.

I personally own the DX160, and find it to be a wonderful mobile solution, as well as a desktop amp/DAC. I can run 150ohm and 300ohm cans really well IMO. Just my 2cents! :)

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #130 of 670

I will add to the above mentioned and a ZEN stack.
Another more portable option would be a Schiit Hel 2.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #131 of 670
Screenshot (663).pngScreenshot (664).pngScreenshot (665).png

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #133 of 670
I will add to the above mentioned and a ZEN stack.
Another more portable option would be a Schiit Hel 2.
Thanks. Yeah, I hope my original question didn't indicate I was wed to a stack. I don't mind a combo DAC/amp if it works well, especially since I do like to listen in different areas of my house while working, browsing on a laptop, etc. Not sure I want or need a true portable solution, as I have a TempoTec Sonata HD Pro for that. But something like the Hel 2 could work, too. I'm open to stacks or combo units.

Guess my only question about the Hel is the volume pot. Is it scratchy like some other Schiit products? That would drive me nuts, even if it lasted only a second.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #134 of 670
So it's basically a Sundara with different design at less than half the price?
I seriously doubt that. Unless you compare the sound side by side, you cannot make that kind of conclusion.

From what I recall two Hifimans measured almost identical (this graph is nothing compared to it) and they sound different.

This one I wouldn't consider 'almost identical' either. There are differences and there are instances of Hifiman headphone have similarities among them. Hifimans in overall can have certain characteristics that are consistant across the board like 2k dip.

Also, I find HMH measurements to look generally off. I would look elsewhere for a proper comparison measurements.

A real good example would be two diffefebt headphones with llinear bass measurement. One can sound much more impactful than another even if measure the same.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #135 of 670
Thanks. Yeah, I hope my original question didn't indicate I was wed to a stack. I don't mind a combo DAC/amp if it works well, especially since I do like to listen in different areas of my house while working, browsing on a laptop, etc. Not sure I want or need a true portable solution, as I have a TempoTec Sonata HD Pro for that. But something like the Hel 2 could work, too. I'm open to stacks or combo units.

Guess my only question about the Hel is the volume pot. Is it scratchy like some other Schiit products? That would drive me nuts, even if it lasted only a second.

Thanks again.
I haven't tried yet the Hel 2 but I sure hope that it doesn't scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back