Hifiman HE400se
Dec 28, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #46 of 670
Sundaras are a great and definitelly a step up from these headphones. It all depends of your budget, but both are great purchases for what you pay.
Thanks for that, i have possibility to get sundaras for 300 euros (or for guys from US for 300 dollars price new) so for this price and for first planars i realy tempted to get these. And as i understand they need not bad amping to sound the best, right? What is your experience?

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #47 of 670
Thanks for that, i have possibility to get sundaras for 300 euros (or for guys from US for 300 dollars price new) so for this price and for first planars i realy tempted to get these. And as i understand they need not bad amping to sound the best, right? What is your experience?
300 € is a good price for them, I wouldn't think about it and buy it. The Sundaras are not very easy to drive because of their low sensitivity. But you dont need anything special to drive them properly.(They obviously benefit from a good amp).

When I had them I used them with different sources: a Topping Mx3, Fiio Btr5 and a Soundblaster XG6, and they all drive them pretty good.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #49 of 670
300 € is a good price for them, I wouldn't think about it and buy it. The Sundaras are not very easy to drive because of their low sensitivity. But you dont need anything special to drive them properly.(They obviously benefit from a good amp).

When I had them I used them with different sources: a Topping Mx3, Fiio Btr5 and a Soundblaster XG6, and they all drive them pretty good.

Nice .... big thanks for your comments, already bought them (not wasted time), with such price i got it wasn't possible to resist as you said and i was looking for planar long time, but wasn't sure where to start. But once i heard sundara in some shop i was sure that i will like their tuning a lot. Don't know how to explain but this control in al frequencies, openes in sound was something special. Really different flavor from all dynamic closed headphones i have. So sorry that i am in different model topic, but if i was ready to spent only lower sum of money then it is possible that other hifiman planar and perhaps this he400se model could be in my radar. Only waiting time could be a problem to get them from china. Sundara was in my local shop and well... i already have them. :gs1000smile::beyersmile: Will make some burn in as i heard from one friend that sundara likes that. And already see that sundara needs for good dynamics higher current amp. With my dap ibasso dx160 quite nice but with them sundara feels a little bit too smooth, not so dynamic. So will see with better amp. I know how they can sound. But even with this dap they are really :thumbsup::thumbsup::ok_hand:
Also good to hear and see people there who likes hifiman. Seems they have many fans.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #50 of 670
I'd love to try the Sundara but Hifiman refuses to ship to Brazil for some reason. This new He400se was the oportunity for me to try a planar magnetic since they ship from another store. I'll return with my impressions probably next week!

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #51 of 670
Nice .... big thanks for your comments, already bought them (not wasted time), with such price i got it wasn't possible to resist as you said and i was looking for planar long time, but wasn't sure where to start. But once i heard sundara in some shop i was sure that i will like their tuning a lot. Don't know how to explain but this control in al frequencies, openes in sound was something special. Really different flavor from all dynamic closed headphones i have. So sorry that i am in different model topic, but if i was ready to spent only lower sum of money then it is possible that other hifiman planar and perhaps this he400se model could be in my radar. Only waiting time could be a problem to get them from china. Sundara was in my local shop and well... i already have them. :gs1000smile::beyersmile: Will make some burn in as i heard from one friend that sundara likes that. And already see that sundara needs for good dynamics higher current amp. With my dap ibasso dx160 quite nice but with them sundara feels a little bit too smooth, not so dynamic. So will see with better amp. I know how they can sound. But even with this dap they are really :thumbsup::thumbsup::ok_hand:
Also good to hear and see people there who likes hifiman. Seems they have many fans.
No probs, you made the right decission. I felt the same when I heard my first planar. Only bad thing is that you can fall in the rabbit hole and start buying more and more planars everytime you get some money saved.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #52 of 670

No probs, you made the right decission. I felt the same when I heard my first planar. Only bad thing is that you can fall in the rabbit hole and start buying more and more planars everytime you get some money saved.
For some time i am done with sound upgrades :) I believe i got what i wanted really. Perhaps planars will be my new passion in the future, but i don't want to listen any higher end planars because as you said - possible to fall in the hole where no rabit will help :smiley::wink: From your post i understood you don't have sundaras. Perhaps had this disease that i call "upgraditis" (always looking for someting better) right? Have you found something that cured this disease yet?

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #53 of 670
For some time i am done with sound upgrades :) I believe i got what i wanted really. Perhaps planars will be my new passion in the future, but i don't want to listen any higher end planars because as you said - possible to fall in the hole where no rabit will help :smiley::wink: From your post i understood you don't have sundaras. Perhaps had this disease that i call "upgraditis" (always looking for someting better) right? Have you found something that cured this disease yet?
Haha, with the Sundaras you have headphones for life. I sold mine in the past and got the Anandas. I don't think I can get much better than my actual set up. Im constantly looking for something new, it doesn't have to be more expensive than the stuff that I already have. It's just an addiction.

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #55 of 670
Could we get a measurement from somebody?
from HiFiMan china website
yRMvUnG.png

https://hifiman.cn/products/detail/283

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #59 of 670
I couldn't resist and got these. I also own the 4xx as well, not sure which to keep.

They do not sound the same and to me its pretty obvious. The 4xx has basically the response of the old HE400i with a hair less treble (could be the pads, noones checked)

The HE400se has more treble and brighter. The 4xx either digs down a tiny bit more or it has more distortion down there. The 4xx sounds flatter to me.

The He400se also sounds a hair back so the soundstage increases where the 4xx is more in your face forward.

Not sure if I can hear a difference in the double vs single magnets. I would guess it would show up in less distortion, in theory.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #60 of 670
Hifiman have been killing it with their cheaper Hifimans, the HE-5XX I preferred over both Ananda and Arya I wonder if these things have good enough performance to dominate their price bracket.

I do wish Hifman would clean up their product line though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back