Hifiman HE1000-SE
Oct 22, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #4,621 of 5,189
Interesting (and cool) that the Oratory EQ works for you. For my system and tastes, I thought it took away everything the HEKse does well. That said, I do use the bass EQ from Oratory (bands 1, 2, and 3) on certain tracks.

I completely agree, HEKSE or any of the HE1000 does NOT take EQ well. Even just EQ the bass I had to to careful, I found anything more than 3db boost on the low end will start to make the bass less tight, less controlled and borderline boomy, this is true for SE, V2 and Stealth(never had V1 in my hand to try EQ)

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #4,623 of 5,189
Looking at your setup: Don’t you miss imaging and resolution of the Hugo2 in your office setup?
I really don't. It could be because I use HQPlayer there, and it's filters bring a good amount of difference. However, I also think the Naim DACV1 isn't bad at all. I felt it was better than my Hugo1 and about on par with the Hugo2.

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #4,625 of 5,189
Does anyone have experience with different optical cables? I have an AudioQuest Forest that I tested but it’s too short so after I read many comments stating that expensive cables are snake oil I decided to buy a $5 cable but the sound seems to be veiled to my ears, can this be true or I’m imagining things?

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #4,626 of 5,189
Does anyone have experience with different optical cables? I have an AudioQuest Forest that I tested but it’s too short so after I read many comments stating that expensive cables are snake oil I decided to buy a $5 cable but the sound seems to be veiled to my ears, can this be true or I’m imagining things?
I like the Lifatec Optical Cables. I believe it’s the best bang for buck Oltical cable out there. IMO

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #4,627 of 5,189
Sold Susvara and HEKse twice only to get the HEKse a third and last time. It’s such an accomplished headphone and the only one that I think I can’t live without. It still can surprise me to this day.
How would you say the HE1000SE compares to the HD800S? I have the latter; am interested in the former (and see you’ve listed the HE1000SE on Trademe).

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #4,628 of 5,189
Do you think Invictus Cable Pure Silver 8 Cores x 30 Awg (About thick as 4x24awg) would be endgame for HE1000se?
Or something Better or thicker like 4x20awg like Lavricables Grand would really be Better by a decent margin?

Oct 25, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #4,629 of 5,189
How would you say the HE1000SE compares to the HD800S? I have the latter; am interested in the former (and see you’ve listed the HE1000SE on Trademe).
I think HE1000se is overall a better headphone. I find it to have even more clarity, better imaging, even soundstage I feel like HE1000se is just as wide while being taller and deeper. They are both kind of sharp, but HE1000se is slightly less so and bass on HE1000se is just on a different level compared to HD 800S. Great plus is also that HE1000se is way easier to drive.

I really like my HD 800S, it's the most comfortable headphone I have. I use it not just for music, but also for gaming and movies, but I apart from comfort I can't think of any category it outperforms HE1000se.

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #4,631 of 5,189
Do you think Invictus Cable Pure Silver 8 Cores x 30 Awg (About thick as 4x24awg) would be endgame for HE1000se?
Or something Better or thicker like 4x20awg like Lavricables Grand would really be Better by a decent margin?
Comparing cables is a bit like magic. I used to be a nonbeliever in cable, but at some point I purchased a "premium" cable, not for sound, but for ergonomics. However it really changed the headphone I was listing to - Meze Liric. I swear, it just sounded different - minor improvement across the board compared to stock cable (more impactful bass, clarity, separation, less sibilance and so on). I tried experiment with more cables and other headphone, but I didn't find the same effect.

I did also AB Lavri Grand (4 core) and Meze silver plated (which is roughly 8x26awg silver plated copper) with HE1000se and I think I can hear a difference. With some songs I think I can hear better a separation and more clarity (eg. Sia - Free the Animal)? If there is a difference though, it's very small, not like what I mentioned with Liric (or it's possible I'm just imaging it and there is no difference at all).

However Lavri Grand is well build, light and pliable with no microphonics. Given the cable is pure silver, it's also reasonably priced - I think you can't go wrong with this one.

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #4,632 of 5,189
Better bass and subbass, better stage, better ergonomically...with solid state amp, I don't know with tubes
Better vocals and a more holographic stage plus the edge taken off the treble with tubes.

The HEKSE is on a totally different level to the 800S. All the technical's are much better including detail, imaging placement + imaging speed, general speed, vocals, bass, depth, stage tallness/more holographic stage depending on setup and I think the instrumental timbre is more natural and lifelike.

I really enjoyed live performances on the 800S though because if you maximize the soundstage with certain tubes its still has the widest and most spread out soundstage of any headphone which makes those live performances a real treat.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #4,633 of 5,189
Better vocals and a more holographic stage plus the edge taken off the treble with tubes.

The HEKSE is on a totally different level to the 800S. All the technical's are much better including detail, imaging placement + imaging speed, general speed, vocals, bass, depth, stage tallness/more holographic stage depending on setup and I think the instrumental timbre is more natural and lifelike.

I really enjoyed live performances on the 800S though because if you maximize the soundstage with certain tubes its still has the widest and most spread out soundstage of any headphone which makes those live performances a real treat.
I'm slowly coming around to this opinion as well. I'm on record as passionately recommending the HD800S as a TOTL on a 300b tube amp. But as HE1000se burns in and settles down, it is becoming the clear winner.

The only area where HD800S still wins is in creating a believable illusion of music in a big hall, which is perfect for some genres. The HE1000se has great image placement, but somehow doesn't creat that illusion of a room. It's more like floating in space or played in an outdoor venue.

I've The noticed the sound from the Hifimans is just as loud, if not louder from the rear of the cups. I can also "cover" the sound coming from the cups with my hands from 1-2 inches away! I think that openness plays a big part in their sound.

Oct 25, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #4,634 of 5,189
I'm slowly coming around to this opinion as well. I'm on record as passionately recommending the HD800S as a TOTL on a 300b tube amp. But as HE1000se burns in and settles down, it is becoming the clear winner.

The only area where HD800S still wins is in creating a believable illusion of music in a big hall, which is perfect for some genres. The HE1000se has great image placement, but somehow doesn't creat that illusion of a room. It's more like floating in space or played in an outdoor venue.

I've The noticed the sound from the Hifimans is just as loud, if not louder from the rear of the cups. I can also "cover" the sound coming from the cups with my hands from 1-2 inches away! I think that openness plays a big part in their sound.
I would only recommend the 800S if your primary listening genres are classical, orchestra, jazz, acoustic and live performances. I rarely listen to these types of genres except acoustic hence why I ended up selling my pair as it really struggles with bass authority and vocal presentation for other genres such as hip hop, rock and electronic.

I wonder when Sennheiser will finally make a "HD 900" or a new flagship as their HE1 had the most incredible natural instrumental timbre I have ever heard in a headphone so they are really capable of producing great sound but since the buyout I am not sure whats going to happen in the future.

I just need Hifiman to make a more power efficient Susvara as I am not going down the rabbit hole in upgrading my gear that I am already highly satisfied with. That being the Topping D90/Cayin HA-3A which get the most out of the HEKSE. I would have probably invested in a Susvara system but ULEZ came into force in London and I had to buy a new car and my stupid ass bought a sports car so now I am out of funds lol.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #4,635 of 5,189
I would only recommend the 800S if your primary listening genres are classical, orchestra, jazz, acoustic and live performances. I rarely listen to these types of genres except acoustic hence why I ended up selling my pair as it really struggles with bass authority and vocal presentation for other genres such as hip hop, rock and electronic.

I wonder when Sennheiser will finally make a "HD 900" or a new flagship as their HE1 had the most incredible natural instrumental timbre I have ever heard in a headphone so they are really capable of producing great sound but since the buyout I am not sure whats going to happen in the future.

I just need Hifiman to make a more power efficient Susvara as I am not going down the rabbit hole in upgrading my gear that I am already highly satisfied with. That being the Topping D90/Cayin HA-3A which get the most out of the HEKSE. I would have probably invested in a Susvara system but ULEZ came into force in London and I had to buy a new car and my stupid ass bought a sports car so now I am out of funds lol.
Do you find the HA-3A has enough slam on the HEKSE, I am currently using an Icon HP8 signature which is offers 90% of what I am looking for, fantastic top end, just lacks a little punch when it comes to drums, plenty of bass quantity & pretty decent quality but slightly soft on impact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back