Hifiman HE1000-SE
Oct 15, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #4,546 of 5,190
I haven’t used ZMF to date. But I think it should only be compared to Their Caldera. It’s a Planar I believe. Correct me if I’m wrong.

But what I can say easier to build a TOTL Headphone system with the HEKSE than the Susvara. You’re about 85% there. It can be your only headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #4,552 of 5,190
Thanks! How would you describe the sound of the SE?
The SE is more technical has more treble energy. Excellent soundstage layering gets you 85-90% of Susvara under a reference stack like the DCA. It is better under lower powered condition. The Atrium is at its best with tubes. Both outstanding headphones

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #4,554 of 5,190
If anyone here is interested in gaming I would say that the HEKSE is by far the best gaming headphone I have ever used. The HEKSE gives you a really good sense of depth so you can hear if an enemy is behind or in front of you and the imaging is so precise and lighting quick that with the combination of the depth capabilities it's almost hack levels good.

The quote on quote best gaming headphone that people always bring up is the Sennheiser HD800S. I had the 800S and I thought it was really good for gaming but putting it alongside the HEKSE its not even in the same ballpark. The 800S just doesn't have the depth capabilities and the imaging is far less quick and precise in comparison. To summarize don't waste your money on the 800S if you want the best gaming headphone especially now that the HEKSE has had a big price cut.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #4,555 of 5,190
Part 1 of my shootout:

I have owned all of these headphones concurrently:
Susvara
: stock cable
Atrium: ZMF OFC cable
Utopia: Black dragon cable
Bravura: Full electrostatic system with Sonoma m1 energizer/DAC, connected to DAP with coax
HEKSE: stock cable with EQ (Poweramp EQ) If you are younger, far too bright without EQ; I can't listen to it without EQ. My EQ adds a tiny bit of bass and tames the highs.
LCD-5: ZMF OFC cable with EQ (Poweramp EQ), when the result is different I also compare the kilobuck cable viking weave ansuz (no EQ). I prefer no EQ + kilobuck cable! Without cable, I prefer my EQ, which adds a bit of bass, and adds to the 2 dips in upper mids/highs. if you don't want to customize your chain or try EQ, don't get LCD-5 IMO.

"Glossary"
My ~$3k chain
: apple music on dx320 (using internal ROHM DAC to lineout on modded amp12exn-s module) -> iFi 4.4 to xlr cable -> iFi Pro iCan Signature (solid state). Approximating DAC price to other desktop DACs I know it compares to.
My DAP: apple music on dx320 with modded amp12exn-s (with opamp upgrades). Quite powerful class A amplifier, Similar to a ~$1.5 desktop chain.
Susvara ~$24k chain: extended listened to: Tidal -> unknown streamer -> Chord Dave -> AVM A 6.2 ($10k speaker amp) (unknown connecting cables, but easily kilobuck+)

I am not doing a ranking here, since I think words are more nuanced. for reference: amazing > great > good > ok > bad. Keep in mind these terms are relative to the headphones I am comparing. Also good/great means between good and great. If I don't specify chain, then that rating applies to all chains from DAP to my $3k chain.
money no object winner highlight
$3k chain winner highlight
DAP winner highlight

resolution/separation (excluding bass):
Susvara - amazing+ with a ~$24k chain (dave+speaker amp), great with ~$3k chain, good/great on my DAP (incredibly, but rest of susvara suffers)
Bravura - amazing
LCD-5 (probably a contender for top place will update after trying Chord Dave) - amazing+? with ~$?? chain, great/amazing with my ~$3k chain, good straight from DAP
Utopia - good/great with my ~$3k chain, good on my DAP
Atrium - always ok/good
HEKSE - always good/great

instrument naturalness, most are ranges since it depends on the instrument:
Susvara - great/amazing on $24k chain (mid range shines), good/amazing on my $3k chain (lack bass impact), and ok on DAP due to sounding weird and lacking bass
Bravura - good/great: bass forward instruments won't have impact, realistic but never fully immersive
LCD-5 - good/amazing usually, but great/amazing with my viking weave ansuz cable. Especially drums and other bassy instruments
Utopia - ok/amazing metallic: amazing for some instruments, just ok for most instruments
Atrium - good/amazing, due to long decay it varies a lot for each instrument
HEKSE - good/great has impact and realistic but never fully immersive

vocal texture + tone:
Susvara - great/amazing
Bravura - good realistic but never fully immersive
LCD-5 - good, but great with viking weave ansuz cable. Tone suffers without EQ or proper chain
Utopia - ok/good sometimes metallic
Atrium - great/amazing + lush vocals (may be positive or negative for each song/preference)
HEKSE - good realistic but never fully immersive

vocal placement:
Susvara - usually in the background with instruments, but sometimes brought closer
Bravura - brought up front and close
LCD-5 - in the background with instruments
Utopia - in the background with instruments (but feels upfront due to small stage)
Atrium - brought up front and close
HEKSE - in the background with instruments

stage size:
Susvara - great/amazing
Bravura - good/amazing variable on track (heavy bassy tracks are closer)
LCD-5 - good, but good/great with viking weave ansuz
Utopia - ok/good
Atrium - good/great
HEKSE - amazing

energy level:
Susvara - chill/effortless: like mac and cheese, smooth and rich, can't stop eating
Bravura - in the middle: like pizza, strong but lowkey
LCD-5 - very energetic: like wagyu, amazing but how long can you endure the fattiness
Utopia - energetic: like foie gras, rich, overly fatty
Atrium - mostly chill: like grits, mostly smooth but with punch at times
HEKSE - in the middle: like bacon, nothing crazy but noticeable

imaging:
Susvara - on $24k chain: great/amazing. on $3k chain: great. DAP: ok
Bravura - good/great
LCD-5 - on $3k chain: great/amazing, but incredibly amazing with viking weave ansuz cable. On DAP: good/great
Utopia - on $3k chain: great. DAP: good
Atrium - always ok
HEKSE - always good/great

bass texture/resolution:
Susvara - on $24k chain: great/amazing. on $3k chain: good. on DAP: bad
Bravura - great/amazing
LCD-5 - on $3k chain: amazing On DAP: great
Utopia - on $3k chain: great. DAP: good/great
Atrium - always ok/great: decay is great, resolution is not
HEKSE - always great

bass impact:
Susvara - on $24k chain: great. on $3k chain: ok/good. on DAP: bad
Bravura - ok (great for an estat!) but, depending on volume, very high bass impacts seem to "shock" the headset, which very slightly "muddies" those milliseconds
LCD-5 - on $3k chain: amazing. on DAP: great. Can suffer without EQ or right chain
Utopia - on $3k chain: great/amazing. DAP: great
Atrium - always great
HEKSE - always great

MSRP:
Susvara - on $24k chain: $30k. on $3k chain: $9k. on DAP equivalent desktop: $7.5k
Bravura - full system $6k
LCD-5 - on $3k chain with viking weave ansuz: $8.5k. on $3k chain: $7.5k. On DAP equivalent desktop: $6k
Utopia - on $3k chain: $7k. On DAP equivalent desktop: $5.5k
Atrium - on $3k chain: $5.5k. On DAP equivalent desktop: $4k
HEKSE - on $3k chain: $5k. On DAP equivalent desktop: $3.5k

-I think EQ'd HEKSE is very underrated a bang for buck option (remember not comparing stock HEKSE). I also think Bravura is an amazing all-rounder which is unbeatable for the price!
-I have tried my best to be music genre agnostic in this comparison!

In my part 2 of this review, I will compare all of these headphones in the following genres of music:
vocal heavy pop
"trashy" pop
hiphop
metal
progressive rock
opera
orchestra
classical
choral and a capella
any other genres?

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #4,556 of 5,190
Hi all,
I own the Arya Stealth ... I was thinking about purchasing the He1000se now that is on sale. Do you know if sound-wise there are many differences? is a better choice the Arya organic? Do you know any other headphone that can complement the Arya Stealth between $1000-2000?
I upgraded from Arya Stealth to HE1000se recently. Their approach to music is different. Arya Stealth more upfront, energetic sounding headphone. HE1000se has big soundstage and separation, gives you better field of view and insight to music. Arya Stealth is more engaging but somewhat claustrophobic. HE1000se is less engaging(depends on music) but everything is laid out better in the music. It's like everything is separated and gets the same exposure. Arya Stealth focuses on 1-2 elements of the music, highlights them, pushes them towards you. HE1000se clear step up in terms of technicalities.

Switching from HE1000se to Arya Stealth, feels like half of the music gone and stage is crushed, less dimensional. Going from Arya Stealth to HE1000se music becomes richer, wider and fills the stage but becomes a bit less lively and less impactful.

This is how i remember from my memory.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #4,557 of 5,190
If anyone here is interested in gaming I would say that the HEKSE is by far the best gaming headphone I have ever used. The HEKSE gives you a really good sense of depth so you can hear if an enemy is behind or in front of you and the imaging is so precise and lighting quick that with the combination of the depth capabilities it's almost hack levels good.

The quote on quote best gaming headphone that people always bring up is the Sennheiser HD800S. I had the 800S and I thought it was really good for gaming but putting it alongside the HEKSE its not even in the same ballpark. The 800S just doesn't have the depth capabilities and the imaging is far less quick and precise in comparison. To summarize don't waste your money on the 800S if you want the best gaming headphone especially now that the HEKSE has had a big price cut.
Yep. I play games a lot and i agree with this. Coming from Arya Stealth, it's such a stark difference in soundstage, depth, imaging, separation categories. Direction of the sound is quite vague on Arya Stealth. HE1000se has such a good contrast between directions and it creates a believable stage.

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #4,558 of 5,190

I think the AKG K812 AND HEKSE are better than the 800s for music or gaming. IMHO

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #4,559 of 5,190

Oh dayum i'm a gamer and HE1000 Stealth owner, i guess It doesn't reach anywhere near it's depth but mhh. It have others quality for sure, but depth Is better on SE version as i really 4 years ago.
Is hard to understand when a sound comes from behind on HE1000 Stealth, okay now i Need HE1000SE it's official. Anyway trade HE1000se for HE1000 Stealth?

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #4,560 of 5,190
I mean, someone would trade his HE1000se for the newer HE1000 Stealth? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back