Hifiman HE1000-SE
Oct 5, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #4,501 of 5,189
Hey everyone, I have discovered in the past week that I prefer the HE1000SE over my Susvara! (yet I think Susvara is still a "better" headphone)

So let's go over what I have discovered, comparing HEKSE and Susvara, and those two with other headphones I own! (and hopefully help others with their purchasing decisions)

Chain: line out from dx320 ROHM DAC (using modded amp12exn-s) -> iFi iCan Signature (the "low end" not "upper end" for Susvara) -> stock cable (just for testing)
Sonic preferences: I like the instruments and vocals to shine, but really need a strong yet tight bass punch. I am not a Harman adherer, but I find it works well for my taste. Mostly listen to pop, hiphop, & soundtracks in JP>KR>EN>ZH>ES>HI.

Use case: This is my WFH setup, where music helps me get work done, aka I don't want a headphone just good for critical listening (if only I could make time for that haha). Needs to be comfortable enough that I can work with it all day, every day of the week!

Note about EQ: I prefer not to EQ, less changing of sound the better IMO. But, at least for HEKSE, it does seem to unlock huge latent potential as we will see later.

Comfort: For me, Susvara is slightly more comfortable, since the HEKSE cup reaches to my jaw. Also note that I had to add a ZMF pad to my HEKSE since the smallest head notch wasn't small enough for me... (Susvara smallest notch was just small enough)

And finally the sound discussion, I will break it down into 3 parts:
No EQ:
-Let me get this out of the way first: without EQ, I 100% always prefer Susvara over HEKSE. HEKSE treble is too much, while Susvara tone is great. That being said, HEKSE does have a bit larger soundstage which some may prefer for certain genres of music.

EQ HEKSE to "Susvara neutral":
-Sadly this is a very similar story, I almost always find Susvara just slightly better than HEKSE. The detail is very slightly higher, but the real improvement is in the tone. The HEKSE tone is by no means bad however, if I were to rank the headphones I own in tone, it would be like: ZMF Atrium >> Susvara >> HEKSE >> Utopia >> LCD-5(EQ).
-Important note for later: Susvara slams just as hard as HEKSE with my setup

EQ bass boost (mostly sub-bass) on both:
-When I EQ HEKSE to Susvara with added bass (curve reaching peak ~50 hz and starting at ~200hz), Susvara seems to just add more "bloat", and doesn't deliver any additional rumble. In the end, I preferred Susvara with a very minimal EQ to bass, any more and I wasn't getting results
-To my extreme surprise, when I EQ'd HEKSE with a bass boost, it actually delivered! It was a STRONG yet CLEAN bass rumble.(I wouldn't call it "punchy" like say a Utopia)
-Comparing the Susvara (not really boosted) vs HEKSE (very boosted), it was about 50/50 on which headphone I preferred for my tracks. However when I preferred HEKSE, I REALLY preferred the bass rumble HEKSE was giving, and a bit bigger soundstage! On the other hand, when I preferred Susvara, it was just a bit better than HEKSE in technicalities and tone.
-Overall, ignoring price, I find HEKSE (bass boosted) a better headphone for me! That being said, Susvara is almost always the better headphone if you don't need the level of bass boost I wanted.

Now how would I compare Susvara and my EQ'd HEKSE with my other headphones?
LCD 5 (EQ):
Going to make a follow up post soon just for LCD 5, and comparing when to choose it over Sus and HEKSE

Utopia:
Actually do find it improves with EQ, but must be careful to avoid driver clipping. Honestly completely different sound to the Hifimans: naturally punchy without boosted bass. Details not on par to the Hifimans, but still very good in a much smaller headstage. Again, I think an EQ'd HEKSE is a better comparison to Utopia, since Susvara can't ever deliver that "fun". I personally think both HEKSE and Atriums destroy the utopia each for their own reasons. HEKSE can rumble much more with EQ, and plays with better technicalities. Atriums on the other hand has a smidge less details, but the tone is incredibly natural and plays with incredible note weight. But, if you really like that "fun" punchiness without a boosted bass, Utopias may be for you.

Atrium Open:
On another level tonally, but details below Susvara and HEKSE (just below utopia). I've never heard a headphone with such great note weight yet maintain incredible technicalities. For me it's a keeper headphone, and an incredible compliment to any of the planers I've tried!

In a price agnostic conclusion, if you want the best mids and don't plan on elevating bass, just get an Susvara. If you want amazing mids but want to add a EQ bass shelf, somehow HEKSE delivers...
Is the ZMF headband pretty easy to install? How's the comfort?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #4,502 of 5,189
I don't know to refund HE1000 Stealth or get upgrade in Black Friday.

Someone can comment on sound resolution/quickness/staging ecc. as HE1000 Stealth and HE1000se?

From Headphonia review:

« The Hifiman SE ($1.999 USD) was the first version with the 3.5mm headphone connectors and it basically combined the best of the V1 and V2, in an easier to drive package. The SE compared to the previous versions has an increased sensitivity of 96dB (was 90dB in the V2) and new Neodymium magnets.

To me the HE1000SE combined the best of the V1 and V2 models: it has the excellent speed, attack, clarity and extension of the V2 mixed up with the more impactful bass, smoother presentation and musical character of the V1. The SE version when it was released had the perfect mix of musicality and technical performance. It still is more expensive than the Stealth today.

The SE version compared to the Stealth is easier to drive. Looking at the FR curves you will see the SE has lighter bass presence than the Stealth (in reality it isn’t that big of a difference), with less elevated upper mids (vocals) and treble. The biggest audible difference (also on the graph) is the treble extension, and the gap is quite large. You immediately hear the bigger contrast with the vocals and upper treble, and to my ears it sounds more correct and natural in the Stealth version. The SE is softer and more intimate sounding, and some listeners will prefer that characteristic. The Stealth is wider, more spacious and to me more refined. That said, the SE makes it easier to hear the fine detail, where the Stealth needs a better headphone amp to get to the best level.

I quite enjoy listening to the SE version, but I still prefer the Stealth overall. It both are great headphones and it will depend on how you will drive it, and what your tonal preference is.

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #4,503 of 5,189
From Headphonia review:

« The Hifiman SE ($1.999 USD) was the first version with the 3.5mm headphone connectors and it basically combined the best of the V1 and V2, in an easier to drive package. The SE compared to the previous versions has an increased sensitivity of 96dB (was 90dB in the V2) and new Neodymium magnets.

To me the HE1000SE combined the best of the V1 and V2 models: it has the excellent speed, attack, clarity and extension of the V2 mixed up with the more impactful bass, smoother presentation and musical character of the V1. The SE version when it was released had the perfect mix of musicality and technical performance. It still is more expensive than the Stealth today.

The SE version compared to the Stealth is easier to drive. Looking at the FR curves you will see the SE has lighter bass presence than the Stealth (in reality it isn’t that big of a difference), with less elevated upper mids (vocals) and treble. The biggest audible difference (also on the graph) is the treble extension, and the gap is quite large. You immediately hear the bigger contrast with the vocals and upper treble, and to my ears it sounds more correct and natural in the Stealth version. The SE is softer and more intimate sounding, and some listeners will prefer that characteristic. The Stealth is wider, more spacious and to me more refined. That said, the SE makes it easier to hear the fine detail, where the Stealth needs a better headphone amp to get to the best level.

I quite enjoy listening to the SE version, but I still prefer the Stealth overall. It both are great headphones and it will depend on how you will drive it, and what your tonal preference is.
I remember this review, unfortunately yet the world Needs more comparisons of the HE1000 Stealth and HE1000se to make It clear what's difference and if SE Is the really Better headphone on all amps..

Oct 6, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #4,504 of 5,189
Hard to decide between hekse and he1000 stealth. It is quite confusing to me as some says hekse is brighter and has wider soundstage but some others say the exact opposite. So it was hard for me to know whats the concensus..

Oct 6, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #4,505 of 5,189
There are several YouTube comparisons, I think it is system specific. Reviews are always all over the place, most contend the SE is better on the technical side. I think it's a personal preference and how well it plays on your system. I played the SE on the DCS Lina stack playing with the voltage and felt it was very good. There was no Stealth around to compare only the Susvara and others...

Oct 6, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #4,506 of 5,189
Very source dependent. Off tubes I really enjoy the SE’s off SS I don’t. They are extremely technical so for me the tubes colour and calm down the higher frequencies abit. But that’s my personal taste only way to find out is to get them on your setup.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #4,507 of 5,189
Hi all. I recently got a hold of these headphones and am really enjoying the sound. However, I find that they're a little uncomfortable due to the ear pads being stiff -- at least compared to other cans I've used. Are there any alternative pads that I could use as a replacement? Something nice and soft. I really want to continue using these headphones regularly, but the discomfort is making it hard to do so.

Edit: I was just looking at the pads from Dekoni, which seem promising. Does anyone here have experience with them?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #4,510 of 5,189
Finally clicked the upgrade button on SE, wanted to wait seeing all the upgrades of other HFM models but looks like SE may not be upgraded soon, atleast Dr Bian never mentioned in recent interviews, the V2 is great, its resolution is not an issue for me it is good enough, but the sibilance in vocals in many songs I like was such that I was not enjoying it as much as I like to, hope the SE fixes it.

Oct 12, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #4,512 of 5,189
Oct 12, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #4,513 of 5,189
Oct 14, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #4,514 of 5,189
Hard to decide between hekse and he1000 stealth. It is quite confusing to me as some says hekse is brighter and has wider soundstage but some others say the exact opposite. So it was hard for me to know whats the concensus..
They are so close in term of technical ability it's really a preference thing. You need to hear both. I was about to buy SE because I know I like SE more than V2 and some of the new Stealth review saying how SE are so much better in term of details an resolution that it's on another level. Then I saw SE and Stealth in a friend's friend home and after an hour I ordered Stealth because I like the tonal balance and texture better while both give me extremely close level of details, sound stage and imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back