Hifiman HE1000-SE
May 20, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #1,727 of 5,211
HEKse in the house (well, office actually).

Listening via Hiby R6 Pro. Can't wait to get home and listen via Gumby/DSHA-3F.

HEKv2 on the sales block :)
I have the v2 but I'm just not ready to stop listening to them and get the SE being I really enjoy them.
Being you have both, I'm assuming you listened to them side by side sufficiently to have the v2 F/S?

May 21, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,728 of 5,211
I have the v2 but I'm just not ready to stop listening to them and get the SE being I really enjoy them.
Being you have both, I'm assuming you listened to them side by side sufficiently to have the v2 F/S?
Here's what I wrote in response to a PM enquiry:
Interesting -- folks have said 'better in every way'. I think it should be 'slightly better in every way':

- slightly fuller as HEKv2 can sound a bit thin or delicate
- a little better mids (possibly just repeating the above point)
- a little more bass extension
- a little more expansive stage
- a little more precise stage/imaging

Probably the only negative about the SE vs v2 would be that SE might be a little less forgiving of poor recordings.

All of these are significant enough to know it's not just 'expectation bias', but not a lot more. Actually, the biggest difference is efficiency. Using my Gumby ==> preamp ==> DSHA-3F rig, I have to attenuate the SE by 5 dB on the preamp to volume match.

Honestly, if I had both in hand and you told me I'd have to pay $700 - 800 to upgrade, I don't know if I would. Don't know if I wouldn't either :)
Note that's based on 1 'serious' comparison session. Both driven by silver cables out of the same rig.

As far as the 'value' statement above, since I already own both, the question becomes whether to sell the HEKv2 or the SE. Assuming a (say) $700 difference, which will I sell? You can visit the 'Headphones for Sale' forum for the answer :)

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #1,729 of 5,211
Here's what I wrote in response to a PM enquiry:
Interesting -- folks have said 'better in every way'. I think it should be 'slightly better in every way':

- slightly fuller as HEKv2 can sound a bit thin or delicate
- a little better mids (possibly just repeating the above point)
- a little more bass extension
- a little more expansive stage
- a little more precise stage/imaging

Probably the only negative about the SE vs v2 would be that SE might be a little less forgiving of poor recordings.

All of these are significant enough to know it's not just 'expectation bias', but not a lot more. Actually, the biggest difference is efficiency. Using my Gumby ==> preamp ==> DSHA-3F rig, I have to attenuate the SE by 5 dB on the preamp to volume match.

Honestly, if I had both in hand and you told me I'd have to pay $700 - 800 to upgrade, I don't know if I would. Don't know if I wouldn't either :)
Note that's based on 1 'serious' comparison session. Both driven by silver cables out of the same rig.

As far as the 'value' statement above, since I already own both, the question becomes whether to sell the HEKv2 or the SE. Assuming a (say) $700 difference, which will I sell? You can visit the 'Headphones for Sale' forum for the answer :)
Nice, the differences are subtle but audible. Like you, one of my favorite things I like about the HEKse's is that they are easy to drive. You can get top flight sound in a efficient package.

May 21, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,730 of 5,211
I had the Abyss Phoi’s and preferred the Susvara’s by quite a bit. At the time, I had the Pro iCan, which drove both very, very well. When I added xbass to the Susvara’s the bass not only matched the Phi’s but was more detailed and nuanced. Then there was comfort, which was no contes. The Susvara’s won that battle hands down. What really got me to choose the Susvara’s over the Phi’s was the midrange. The Susvara’s Midrange made the Phi’s midrange sound recessed and the headphone as a whole sound V-Shaped. So I sold the Phi’s.

The TC’s fixed everything I disliked about the sound of Phi’s. The fit issue still remains, but is a slight compromise because they sound so darn good. The HEKse’s fall in the group of headphones right under these two. In a way, they are their own headphone with their own sound. Taken in that context, the HEKse is a really and I mean really, great headphone. With a cable upgrade and some system matching, you can really transform these headphones. The fact that they are easy to drive in a bonus.

Agree with this 100%. Imo, if the Phi TC's had 0 fit issues and if the midrange was just slightly more intimate/forward and less distant they would easily be the greatest headphones I've ever heard. The sound is just absolutely amazing... but the midrange and the comfort is why I pick up the Susvara more often.

May 23, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,731 of 5,211
Nice, the differences are subtle but audible. Like you, one of my favorite things I like about the HEKse's is that they are easy to drive. You can get top flight sound in a efficient package.
I’ve gotten about 10 hours of head time with now. Here’s my bottom line on SE vs v2:

- SE are notably more efficient
- If you like v2, you’ll like SE a bit more
- If you don’t like v2, SE isn’t gonna change your mind as they’re not that different

May 23, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,732 of 5,211
In other words, SE wins the brawl. You can say that. I traded up my v1 with v2 pads for the SE, and I had to acknowledge the superiority of the SE within less than 5 minutes of listening to it,. For some reason, it was more difficult for me to determine whether the v2 was actually superior to the v1 in the same way, or merely different. There was no such hesitation when comparing the sound of the v1 with that of the HekSE. I thought the SE floored the v1 in almost all ways that count for me.

May 24, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,737 of 5,211
Do you think it would sound good? I own the Utopia currently and need a pair of headphones that sound little different.
I’m listening to HEKse via Hiby R6 Pro & Cowon Plenue II Mk2. Plenty power enough from either of those DAPs, so certainly enough from SP2k — no need for external amp. I would say that HEKse & Utopia do sound ‘a little different’. Tonality isn’t hugely different — Utopia is a bit more elevated in upper mids/treble, while HEKse is more extended and impactful in the bass. Again, not hugely different, both are pretty close to neutral to my ears. But the biggest difference is the stage. Truly night-and-day.

May 24, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #1,738 of 5,211
Don't know about the A &K SP 2000, but I have been using the He 1000 SE with the A & K Kann Cube, and the synergy is rock solid in my view, with no down sides. And an external amp is definitely not needed.

May 25, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,739 of 5,211
- If you don’t like v2, SE isn’t gonna change your mind as they’re not that different
I’m going to amend this statement to:

- If you don’t like v2, SE isn’t gonna change your mind as they’re not that different, unless...

the reason you didn’t like v2 was the ‘thin’ sound. SE changes this enough that they’re worth a listen to see if the difference changes your opinion.

May 25, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #1,740 of 5,211
^^^
The HEKse are still thin in general, I would advise anyone to skip modern hifimans if they are not okay with thin/lightweight sound in general. I have not tried any of them on tubes or pure class A tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back