Hifiman HE1000-SE
Aug 30, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #1,261 of 5,211
a question bout cables, as i have the SE and i am after buying an aftermarket cable, i am just debating shall i go with a copper cable or a silver cable from norne.?
The Silvergarde S cable variants work exceeding well with the He1000se, but so does the Draug V3, with the latter being slightly warmer, and of course, less expensive. I typically prefer listening to the HeKSEs with the Silvergardes for the flavor they bring to the music, but I could also easily use the Draug V3 for the same purpose without feeling that I'm missing anything...They produce slightly different experiences, but deciding which of the two is "objectively better" is not a straightforward matter, because we're dealing with high quality performances in each case. In short I do not see any noticeable compromises with either choice. The Silvergarde S-3, the S3-C, or the Draug 3, will all do a far better job handling the HeKSE than stock cable. As to whether one should go "silver" or "copper," I will have to leave that to personal preference, or budgetary convenience (if budget is an important deciding factor). If you have the opportunity to audition both types with the HekSE in your own system (to evaluate system synergies) before buying, that would be the best option, as it will enable you to nail down with precision what suits you best.

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,262 of 5,211
I owned the HE-1000 then had the version 2....sold them both and bought the susvara which i used with my chord dave/blu2 and the formula s/powerman....i loved the susvara but sold it because as good as it was I found it a bit too ethereal and laid back.....i bought and just received the SE and love it....I am using it straight from my dave and it is easy to drive and more dynamic....is the susvara better?...technically yes but listening wise i am not so sure....it is pleasure to be able to take it with me and use a hugo 2....i go back ad forth and try and rotate from 1 HP to another......I also own the Abyss and the LCD-4 and i love both of them but i have a soft spot for the hifiman sound and the HE-1000 line....
That's one of the reasons I can' pull the trigger on a Susvara......it's lack of portability. I like to move my cans around the house with a portable amp. Can't quite do that with a Susvara as far as I know, as there is no portable amp that can power it well.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #1,263 of 5,211
a question bout cables, as i have the SE and i am after buying an aftermarket cable, i am just debating shall i go with a copper cable or a silver cable from norne.?
it depend in your preference , for me i am very happy with copper and i cant stand silver
so it depend on you.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,264 of 5,211
The Silvergarde S cable variants work exceeding well with the He1000se, but so does the Draug V3, with the latter being slightly warmer, and of course, less expensive. I typically prefer listening to the HeKSEs with the Silvergardes for the flavor they bring to the music, but I could also easily use the Draug V3 for the same purpose without feeling that I'm missing anything...They produce slightly different experiences, but deciding which of the two is "objectively better" is not a straightforward matter, because we're dealing with high quality performances in each case. In short I do not see any noticeable compromises with either choice. The Silvergarde S-3, the S3-C, or the Draug 3, will all do a far better job handling the HeKSE than stock cable. As to whether one should go "silver" or "copper," I will have to leave that to personal preference, or budgetary convenience (if budget is an important deciding factor). If you have the opportunity to audition both types with the HekSE in your own system (to evaluate system synergies) before buying, that would be the best option, as it will enable you to nail down with precision what suits you best.
I prefer the Norne Silver to the Draug V3 copper. The V3 copper made the soundstage a little flat and actually did not really tone down the treble too much. The secret to silver is that the larger the wire the warmer it gets. This is why thin silver cables generally suck and give the impression that all silver cables are bright and thin sounding. Trevor does use large silver wire hence the warmer sound of his silver cables. Copper unless in a very large gauge generally does not sound as good as the best silver cables. Probably why I will not buy another copper cable for high end headphone use.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #1,265 of 5,211
I have a norne silgarde s3 and happy with it. I am not going to get trap in this hobby of testing with trial and error with cables. I already got trap buying so many high end headohones and sadly hardly ever used them. I really like my hekse over my susvara. My susvara is just sitting in the sheif as it is one hard can to drive. My lotoo dap can't even get any volume out of it. People always suggesting you have to use a high end amp if you want the susvara too sing because it will scale really well. Hey! My hekse will sing and scale really well with high end amp also! I hear all the micro details and great airy mids and hard slamming bass as i do on both cans. Just one doesn't need a high end amp to drive. As for cables i heard the dana cable is really good, but i am happy with norne right now.

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,266 of 5,211
I have a norne silgarde s3 and happy with it. I am not going to get trap in this hobby of testing with trial and error with cables. I already got trap buying so many high end headohones and sadly hardly ever used them. I really like my hekse over my susvara. My susvara is just sitting in the sheif as it is one hard can to drive. My lotoo dap can't even get any volume out of it. People always suggesting you have to use a high end amp if you want the susvara too sing because it will scale really well. Hey! My hekse will sing and scale really well with high end amp also! I hear all the micro details and great airy mids and hard slamming bass as i do on both cans. Just one doesn't need a high end amp to drive. As for cables i heard the dana cable is really good, but i am happy with norne right now.
This is why I am waiting on the Susvara V2, which will be almost surely easier to drive. If that never happens then I am good with the SE.

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,267 of 5,211
So how would you compare the Abyss to the HEKse? I also wonder if the the HEKse were driven by a more powerful amp how it would compare th Susvara. Is it possible that the SE could be even better than Susvara driven by the same amplifier?

I find the SE better straight out of the Dave .....I think that is a strength to be able to go straight from the dave and achieve the transparency and the SE is extremely efficient like the Utopia or 4z...the abyss has a bigger soundstage and more prominent bass...in terms of detail they are both incredibly detailed....the abyss is of course more expensive and also like the susvara is best with an external amp though not power hungry to the extent that the susvara is.....to me the SE is a great all arounder

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #1,268 of 5,211
Getting tired of waiting for a Double Helix Cable adapter that will allow me to use my Lemo-terminated Prion4 and Lazuli Reference cables with my He1000se and thinking of maybe trying a Norne silver cable. Has anyone heard both 4 and 8 wire Silvergarde S3 cables and can comment on the difference?

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,269 of 5,211
Getting tired of waiting for a Double Helix Cable adapter that will allow me to use my Lemo-terminated Prion4 and Lazuli Reference cables with my He1000se and thinking of maybe trying a Norne silver cable. Has anyone heard both 4 and 8 wire Silvergarde S3 cables and can comment on the difference?
Contact Sean at Affinity Cables (seaneeafc@gmail.com). He made me all kinds of short connectors to use my Axios AG cable with all my other headphones. Great workmanship and fast shipping.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 2, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,270 of 5,211
I owned the HE-1000 then had the version 2....sold them both and bought the susvara which i used with my chord dave/blu2 and the formula s/powerman....i loved the susvara but sold it because as good as it was I found it a bit too ethereal and laid back.....i bought and just received the SE and love it....I am using it straight from my dave and it is easy to drive and more dynamic....is the susvara better?...technically yes but listening wise i am not so sure....it is pleasure to be able to take it with me and use a hugo 2....i go back ad forth and try and rotate from 1 HP to another......I also own the Abyss and the LCD-4 and i love both of them but i have a soft spot for the hifiman sound and the HE-1000 line....

I know where you’re coming from Susvara vs the HE1000 series. I’m finding the Susvara overly perfect that I can’t relate to the genre of music (vocal). I am waiting for my custom cables to pair with the balanced output of the TT2.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #1,271 of 5,211

Best is to ask Trevor from Norne audio so he can explain to you which you should go for.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,272 of 5,211
Contact Sean at Affinity Cables (seaneeafc@gmail.com). He made me all kinds of short connectors to use my Axios AG cable with all my other headphones. Great workmanship and fast shipping.

I met him before as we are in the same country. He is indeed a very nice person!

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #1,273 of 5,211
I am shocked as to how good my new SE's sound straight out of my dave/blu2.....and i am speaking as one who owns the abyss TC....the SE is truly fantastic

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #1,275 of 5,211
i had a danacable for my susvara that i am using with a converter....the TC needs an amp and the SE does not which makes a difference....i love them both but am shocked as to how close the SE is to the TC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back