1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hifiman HE1000-SE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ufospls2, Aug 10, 2018.
First

Back
76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85
87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96
Next

Last
  1. mixman
    How does it sound with the Dave as opposed to the Formula S? Is the SE/Dave combo bright or neutral sounding?

2. jlbrach
    i have only listened to the SE out of the dave....i find it extremely neutral

3. treebug
    Is the HE1000SE soundstage as wide as the HD800?

4. GU1DO
    HD800S is a little wider , the HE1000SE is a little deeper ,, both have exceptional sound stage

5. treebug
    Thanks. I have the HD800 and was worried about losing some soundstage width if I went for the HE1000SE. Hooking it up to my Luxman P-750u.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  6. treebug
    Any balanced cable recommendations?

7. sahmen
    Sure, I recommend pure silver occ litz wire. Norne Audio have some excellent options, but they are of course not the only ones who do.

8. Sound Eq
    i think with he1000se choosing the right cable is a must, i have a 16 core neotech upocc 4 pin balanced cable and it is very transparent and makes the he1000se up top sound a bit too much going on and makes the mids a bit thin or overshadowed by too much detail in the highs. When I switch to a simple cardas 8 core cable the sound is smooth and more body. I am not after silver as I assume as it is known that it will add more detail and that is not something i want at all. i think a great copper cable is the way to go with he1000se. I also think the stock cable sounds good as well

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    GU1DO and sahmen like this.
  9. mixman
    I just wrote about this in the Stellia thread. Having had a lot of cables here I believe that not all silver cables are the same. Thin silver cables will sound bright and thin. The larger the gauge, actually the warmer the silver cable will sound. Not sure what was going on with the 16 core Neotech cable but I know the better Norne silver cables, among others will not necessarily sound bright, but will sound detailed and neutral.

sahmen likes this.
  10. Sound Eq
    well the neotech cable i have is not silver cable, its upocc, what i am trying to say is that even different copper cables can not be taken for granted to make the he1000se sound its best, as neotech cable sounds less full bodied than cardas

anyhow I prefer to stick to cables that would provide a full bodied sound signature than venture into silver cables and pay heavily for those and in the end the cable might not add what i seek

11. GU1DO
    You have a link for the cardas 8 core cable ?
    i would love to check it , i may try it and compare it to my Kimber Axios
    Thanks for the feedback.

12. GU1DO
    Kimber Axios working really good with me

13. Sound Eq
    its a diy cable done by someone I know, what surprises me and I am not knowing maybe I am understanding things wrong, why would anyone ask for cables to add more detail, as the detail with the stock cable is way more than enough, or ask for more transparency, I think in my opinion and I am driving the HE1000se using hugo2 as a dac and ifi ican pro amp , is to add more body than to add more detail or increase sound stage and to make it smoother on top and add a bit more weight to the mids

14. sahmen
    If you like copper cables, the Norne Draug V3 cable is excellent with the HeKSE, in my view, but I think I have already mentioned that, but it bears repeating. I really detected no downsides at all with that cable on my HeKSE.

llcook51 likes this.
  15. JaZZ Contributor
    You can't have enough detail, let alone too much detail and transparency. Detail and transparency stand for accuracy, whereas what you mean is probably analyticalness, e.g. due to some treble enhancement.

There aren't many headphones that are an easier load for the Hugo₂ than the HE1000se. All the more your addition of the iCan doesn't make sense. In the interest of signal accuracy (→ direct signal path) it is an audiophile sin to attenuate a signal at the amp input just to reamplify it subsequently. This configuration guarantees a not ideal reproduction according to the original high-fidelity ideal of preserved signal integrity. So you'd be better off using an equalizer (matching your nickname) instead of misusing amplifier colorations for this task – something like a fad on Head-Fi. Now you may say that you don't like equalizing... (for whatever reason – despite being the ideal tool for equalizing amplitude and phase response at once). Personally I find the Hugo₂/HE1000se combo an ideal pairing. Just very slightly surpassed by the DAVE/HE1000se combo.

With my pair I'm using a silver cable (Lavricables Master Silver) and like it a lot, particularly compared to the unrefined stock-cable sound and for the increased detail resolution on top. Although silver may be detrimental to the goal of treble smoothing – if you consider this necessary –, equalizing can fulfill this task very well, independent of the cable. That said, although I generally like the sound of silver, I'm not sure if it is really superior to well-made copper designs, especially in the case of the HE1000se. The Danacable Lazuli Nirvana HF SE could be the ideal cable for my taste if there wasn't its horrendous price.

First

Back
76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85
87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96
Next

Last