1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hifiman HE1000-SE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ufospls2, Aug 10, 2018.
First

Back
77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
88 89 90
Next

Last
  1. Sound Eq
    thanks for sharing, yes no eq for me even if my user name suggests that i like eq, but that was 6 years ago :)

but regardless cables in my opinion adding the ican pro to the chain makes the sound way way better than just using hugo2,

i hope no one thinks i dislike he1000se as its a great headphone and really i do not think it needs eq, when talk bout cables is just to hints of this or that not to the level that i have to use eq to correct anything

2. JaZZ Contributor
    There wasn't anything negative about the HE1000se in your previous post. I also don't think it «needs» equalizing – in fact it's the first headphone that I find acceptable without –, but it can certainly be improved with equalizing, as your own way of equalizing via amplifier coloration shows.

And that's where I have a hard time: understanding why you don't like (justified) equalizing, instead delegate amplifier sound to adopt this part. I'm not sure if you understand what you're doing. If you (are ready to) follow my arguments, you'll grasp that your method degrades the original signal by adding harmonic and intermodulation distortion (the typical evils of amplifier sound) leading to euphonic coloration – for $2000 or the like. Note that the Hugo₂ has exemplary THD figures and extremely low output impedance, making it hard to beat as a headphone amplifier, the more so as it guarantees a signal path as direct as it gets through as little analogue electronic components as possible in the interest of signal accuracy – the signal that reaches your headphone is virtually straight from the DAC. But you chose to send it through a bunch of additional components...

I certainly don't want to dictate you your sonic ideals, but with your strict refusal of the only reasonable method of shaping the sound to your liking you obstruct the way to the best sound the HE1000se (as well as the Hugo₂) is capable of. «More body» is an easy task for an equalizer (increase the 20 Hz slider by 0.8 or 1.2 dB), the same goes for a smoother treble.

Here's my current curve:

foobar-xnor-EQ-curve for HE1000se.JPG

I took me a while to get there, but I'm living five weeks with it now, which is a good sign. Interestingly the upper-treble increase (particularly the one at 20 kHz) has led to increased smoothness – and resolution (well, that's with my own hearing). It may not be the ideal curve for someone else's head-related transfer function (HRTF), but at least serve as a guideline.

3. Sound Eq
    since we both own the hugo2 and he1000se is there anyway to send me the exact settings for your eq that i can upload, which player are you using ? jriver or foobar

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  4. JaZZ Contributor
    foobar2000 – with xnor's graphic equalizer (31 frequency bands, ⅓-octave).

EQ preset attached. I have slightly modified it for the use with the Hugo₂, since above curve is for the DAVE. If you need any more «authority» and «body», just increase the four sliders at the left (20, 25, 31.5, 40 Hz) by 1.2, 0.9, 0,6 and 0.3 dB or the like.

File upload didn't work – strange, last time it did. I'll send it via PM.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  5. Sound Eq
    thanks alot, i uploaded the setting to foobar, and i will test, is the file you sent me with dave or hugo dialed in

6. JaZZ Contributor
    It's modified for the Hugo₂.

7. llcook51
    am using the Norne Draug V3 cable, also. I find it an excellent match with the HEKse.

sahmen likes this.
  8. sahmen
    Couldn't agree more.

9. musicman59
    I am using the Dana Lazuli Reference with great success. The bass is deep, the midrange very natural and the level of detail in the high frequencies is really good.

Gibson59 likes this.
  10. MAISONOBE AALAIN
    Hello

could you tell me where I can find, or give me a measurement of this helmet Hifiman HE 1000 SE in order to help me in the equalization of the helmet

cordially

11. Gibson59
    +1 for the Lazuli Reference. Best cable for the headphone IMO and i've tried many. Expensive but worth every penny if you can afford it.

12. jlbrach
    agreed regarding the danacable....I was using mine with my susvara until I sold it....I kept the cable with an adapter for my SE and am very pleased

13. Gibson59
    Anyone try their HEKse with a Woo WA6 or WA6se?

I ask because I’m using a WA22 currently but may need to downsize for various reasons.

I’m sure both smaller amps have enough power to drive the sensitive HEKse and both probably have the Woo sound I love, but I’d love to hear from someone who’s actually heard the combo.

14. mixman
    Great, as I would like to know too as I can't quite swing a WA22 right now, but a used WA6 SE or WA 6 might be doable.

15. nishan99
    Hi everyone, I am getting those soon and want to get a carrying case and I was wondering if their dimensions are identical to the previous HEK and Arya.

Also if anyone know a good carrying case please share its link/name.

First

Back
77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
88 89 90
Next

Last