Hifiman HE1000-SE
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #106 of 5,211
HD650 is still one of my favorite for rock tracks. That mid-bass slam is really addictive. Sub-bass isn't as important for these tracks. It is also the most coherent headphone I've ever tried to date.
Yeah, if you try out various recordings you get an idea what certain transducers perform best on. I really like the mids of dynamic drivers like the HD6XX if it's sourced well. The mids sounds quite natural. But also I do love the shimmer of the highs of the planars, which provides bite and shimmer to the instrumentals. If I were to make an ideal transducer it would be something that can bring natural mids of dynamics and lows and highs of planars. Certain recordings do sound really good out of dynamic driver like the HD6XX.

There's a reason why Utopia has a bit of a shimmer at the highs for a dynamic. It's not a typical mylar or biocellulose, it's the stiff material type right? Beryllium

HD6XX is an interesting headphone. It can sound a bit warm in the mids depending on the source. It can also sound more damped and naturally detailed there as well.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #107 of 5,211
Yeah, if you try out various recordings you get an idea what certain transducers perform best on. I really like the mids of dynamic drivers like the HD6XX if it's sourced well. The mids sounds quite natural. But also I do love the shimmer of the highs of the planars, which provides bite and shimmer to the instrumentals. If I were to make an ideal transducer it would be something that can bring natural mids of dynamics and lows and highs of planars. Certain recordings do sound really good out of dynamic driver like the HD6XX.

HD6XX is an interesting headphone. It can sound a bit warm in the mids depending on the source. It can also sound more damped and naturally detailed there as well.
I cannot agree more. Though I prefer the treble of dynamics (in general). Smoother. But I agree on the bass and mid.

Dec 16, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #108 of 5,211
I cannot agree more. Though I prefer the treble of dynamics (in general). Smoother. But I agree on the bass and mid.
After trying out a different amp from my BHA-1, I realize that the mids forwardness and damped response is from the BHA-1 (of course with the combination with Gumby). One of the tracks I've listened to was this one, and the music just pop'd out. I responded with, "Oh yes, more rock please..." Perhaps it's the new mastering of the compilation from The Essential HEART? Perhaps (to a degree as I think the new mastering enhances a bit), but I think it's the amp's forwardness in the mids (it's not just the headphone). If there is no mids forwardness, these tracks sounds like it's a bit muted (to a degree, with vocals, etc.. old recordings from this era has this characteristic), and the sounded gets blended in and is a bit boring and flat sounding.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #109 of 5,211
After trying out a different amp from my BHA-1, I realize that the mids forwardness and damped response is from the BHA-1 (of course with the combination with Gumby). One of the tracks I've listened to was this one, and the music just pop'd out. I responded with, "Oh yes, more rock please..." Perhaps it's the new mastering of the compilation from The Essential HEART? No, I think it's the amp's forwardness in the mids. If there is no mids forwardness, these tracks sounds like it's a bit muted (to a degree, with vocals, etc..), and the sounded gets blended in and is a bit boring and flat sounding.

Yeah this is a darn good track...one of my favourite. I love Heart.

Dec 16, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #110 of 5,211
Yeah this is a darn good track...one of my favourite. I love Heart.
Interesting thing. This (the above one) recordings is a bit subdue'd in bite, and I get a sense it's the recording, not the headphone (I'm using the HD6XX right now) because when I switch over to a really precisely engineered recording with Patricia Barber, you get the precision out of this headphone. It's hard to gauge the headphone based on specific recordings alone. Recording response can really throw off the characteristic of the headphone. If I listen to Patricia Barber's stuff, HD6XX sounds realistic and natural. But, Heart's Barracuda is a lot more fun!

91tQIcX8RXL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #111 of 5,211
Dec 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #112 of 5,211
Any recommendations ?

My suggestions are not brand specific. I recommend buying the highest purity, SOLID core silver cable with as low an aggregate AWG as you can afford. Stranded litz cables are ideal for IEM cables but not for headphone cables. Litz cables are more expensive and offer lower performance for the price.

Dec 16, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #113 of 5,211
My suggestions are not brand specific. I recommend buying the highest purity, SOLID core silver cable with as low an aggregate AWG as you can afford. Stranded litz cables are ideal for IEM cables but not for headphone cables. Litz cables are more expensive and offer lower performance for the price.
Thanks i appreciate the input , am not a silver person , i dont like silver , but i agree that the stock cable is a joke ,
i tried my pure copper kimber kable and i can say that bass is more to my liking and the thin mids disappeared completely and highs now have sparkle,
i received my pair just yesterday and its still under burning , but i couldn't resist and i ordered my favored brand WyWires RED to be ready once burning complete
will report back when i have a clear picture but so far its a keeper.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #115 of 5,211
Yes, that´s true. I sold my Utopia. They didn´t get any listening time anymore. The mids which were a little thin in the beginning have become better with more burn in.

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #117 of 5,211
Yes, that´s true. I sold my Utopia. They didn´t get any listening time anymore. The mids which were a little thin in the beginning have become better with more burn in.

I hear ya on the mids. Loved the SE from first plug in but after some burn in I feel there’s even more texture to instruments. This is really important to me when I listen, that I can feel the guitars strings getting plucked, the breath of a horn etc. I attribute much of the texture I look for to the mids and they are really coming to life.

I have to say I’ve always believed in burn in for headphones and cables alike. And I believe in “brain burn in” as well... that it takes some time to get accustomed to a sound signature, really digest the nuances and appreciate it’s qualities. Burn in has been subtle with the SE as it was amazing out of the box, but at the same time it is really giving this headphone that last 5% of excellence IMO. It’s opening/loosening up and the sound is really coming alive.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #118 of 5,211
+1

Also sold my Utopia and HE1kv2. I feel the SE is a mix between the best parts of Utopia and HE1Kv2

Simply jaw dropping with Dave/MScaler/Lauzi Ref cable and no amps

I couldn’t agree more. The Utopia for me always sounded impressive in a very technical way, but for some reason I couldn’t connect with the music. The details were amazing, but I’m in agreement with the many that say the sound became fatiguing and I dint find it very comfortable to wear.

The HEKv2 was by far my perfect headphone for both sound characteristics and comfort. I felt like it was designed for me. If I had any critiques of the HEKv2 it would be that the soundstage was immense but maybe 3D imaging suffered a little bit or didn’t feel 100% realistic. The other criticism would be that sometimes the HEKv2 needed a bit more punch (the Lazuli Reference cable really addressed this issue for me and gave the sound more pulp). I guess the last issue was that the HEKv2 was hard to drive, but my Wells Audio Milo amp easily took care of that.

Out of the box the HEKse provides incredibly realistic imaging and soundtage, lots of energy to the sound, and has endless details and layers to the sound while not being fatiguing over long listening periods. It makes it very easy to connect with and get lost in the music.

As you said... HEKv2 and Utopia had a baby and it was called the HEKse :)

Dec 20, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #120 of 5,211
How is the build quality with Hifiman these days? I'm looking at the LCD4z and HE1000se, and I don't want to buy a headphone which is faulty from day one. Is it worth the risk?

I’m sure you’ll get the typical haters chiming in, but my HEKse is flawless. I really like the subtle material change on the metal. It’s a bit textured, looks better and kinda feels more durable. I’m also a big fan of the wood change to ebony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back