Hifiman HE1000-SE
Dec 28, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #1,427 of 5,211
I'm not sure being I'm in NY and they're in PA so I'v never inquired. As I mentioned, give Ethan a call he's a great guy to deal with.

do they loan also to other countries than USA, that would be amazing if they do.
I’m pretty sure last time i looked on their website it was only in the usa

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #1,429 of 5,211
Dec 29, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,430 of 5,211
Would the v2 or SE have the most airy instrument separation? Thinking of having One of these next to lcd4.

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,431 of 5,211
Would the v2 or SE have the most airy instrument separation? Thinking of having One of these next to lcd4.

I also have the LCD4, and vote for the SE, with an aftermarket cable, of course.

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #1,432 of 5,211
I praise the sound of it and I know how careful I have to be with this cable as I mentioned earlier and he told me that these are cables that are not supposed to be bent or get messed up into knots as this cable is different than regular headphone cables.

I will see what can be done about this and see if this guy is interested in doing something like that.

update : well at this time I can not help in getting any cable done but I got what my cable is made of

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELUND-82810.html

i think some of u can have access to a person who can make cables for you so this is what i use

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,433 of 5,211
I also have the LCD4, and vote for the SE, with an aftermarket cable, of course.
totally agree i had lcd4 as well,

chord hugo tt2--- usb lush2--- SE perfect setup

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,434 of 5,211
Dec 29, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,435 of 5,211
What cable do you use and why? :)

Personally, I use Norne Audio Silvergarde cables (S and S3). and also Draug V3, but I am sure other users might have other preferences, and that is okay too, as long as they're better than the stock cable.

Why? Because the stock cable is not that great, and I think one could probably say that for practically all the stock cables for Hifiman upper tier headphones. I do not know why they like to provide such "meh"-sounding cables even for the great headphones they make. Maybe it is because they want to cut down on costs, and/or assume that enthusiasts will buy aftermarket cables anyway for their headphones. The truth is I can't say I really know why. What I know is that each time I have changed the cable of my Hifiman Headphones, I have been able to get improved SQ from it (And I have owned the He-500, the He-6, the He-1000, the Edition X v2, and currently/most recently, the He 1000SE).

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,436 of 5,211
Thanks. Ive had the he1000v1 and v2 earlier. The v2 cable was better than the v1 i remember. Does the Silver make it brighter sounding?

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,437 of 5,211
The se has a bit more precision than v2 but, from memory, both have really good separation

lcd4 and hek would complement each other really well

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,438 of 5,211
The silver cables I have do make it better sounding, that is definite... As for brighter-sounding, it depends on what one means, There is definitely some liveliness, arising from more detail, and a certain energy that one feels at the top end of the HeKSE that seem to come from its very native tuning (independently of the cable one is using), as compared to the V1, for example. That liveliness at the top could be interpreted as "bright" by some users, especially those who have just upgrade from the v1, as I did. Personally, I just saw that as more detail, more liveliness, and more energy, all in a good way, without necessarily feeling that it there was anything "harsh", etched, or edgy, or least of all, fatiguing about it.--(Incidentally, I recently found out how very treble sensitive I am when I got a focal Elex and couldn't stand the treble on it for more than five minutes and had to sell it). I have felt nothing remotely close to that harshness on the HeKSE, regardless of whether I am using a copper cable like the Draug V3 or any of the Norne Silvergarde cables.

One more thing is that the liveliness and energetic detail at the top of the HeKSE, settle down nicely after a few days of burn in. I am not saying it loses any of the detail, but there is a certain relative tameness that calms down that energy at the top a bit, and make it sound more relaxed after a few days of listening...Admittedly, that could well be a psychoacoustic effect of one getting used to the new sound signature, but then if it is so, then it would confirm to me that the high frequencies were never offensive to begin with.

At any rate that is my own experience with the HeKSE... And oh speaking of Copper or Silver, my Draug V3 does not sound too different from the silvergarde cables, even though the silver do come off sometimes as being lvery slightly more detailed, even though the Draug V3 itself never feels rolled off or detail-anemic in any way.

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #1,439 of 5,211
..so my V2 died on me, I lost one channel completely. I have to say that Hifiman's support was really quick, we had several email there and back. They offered a replacement, which (after specifically question) they admitted would be a demo or refurbished V2 (maybe another way for them to reuse the the V2's they got in the upgrade program earlier). I don't want that and also have been looking at the 1000SE for a while.....so I might just go with the 1000SE upgrade (that they also offered).
Now, taking the Hifiman new product strategy and release cycle times, a new HE1000 (a successor for the 1000SE) should come soon. In that case I might just wait a bit. I know, one can always wait for a new model at every product, but in this case I think an update is imminent. What do you think ?

HEKV2, A&K A380 with custom AMP, Microzotl MZ2, Nordost

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,440 of 5,211
I had a similar issue half a year ago (worsening contact of the right-channel socket) and decided for the upgrade program (from a HE1000 V1) instead of a mere replacement. I haven't looked back, since the «se» is the better headphone to me. Unfortunately I will have to send it in for a replacement again (hopefully not a refurbished pair!), as the paint on the magnet bars is flaking off. The good news is that the former earpad deterioration seems to have stopped.

I recall that someone suspected a successor to be released soon, but that was without any substantiation and probably just made up out of thin air. I wouldn't count on it if I were you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back