Hifiman HE1000-SE
Dec 8, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #1,366 of 5,211
Am I the only one who think the bass is elevated relative to the mids?

I am not sure, some tracks the bass is so right and tight and some tracks it calls attention to itself.

The measurements says it's flat with no elevation. So I guess it's the recording quality of the bass is so exposed with those headphones?.

You are right. I got my HEKse measured by Sonarworks and their EQ profile shows that hekse's bass is mildly elevated by 2-3 dbs.

With their EQ profile put in place, I much enjoyed my HEKse. Its resolution, transparency, never fatiguing and wide soundstage cannot be rivaled by any headphones I've owned.

That being said, I knew that I won't be able to resist getting the SR1a (which is another blind purchase) and it will be here in a few days. As I need some funds to finance it, I am exiting the club for now.

And selling my Norne Silver cable: Silvergarde S3-C - Clear Edition. I bought it at $440. If anybody were interested in, send me a PM. I will give a 20% discount on it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #1,367 of 5,211
You are right. I got my HEKse measured by Sonarworks and their EQ profile shows that hekse's bass is mildly elevated by 2-3 dbs.

That being said, I knew that I won't be able to resist getting the SR1a (which is another blind purchase) and it will be here in a few days. As I need some funds to finance it, I am exiting the club for now.
Let me know what you think! As a previous HEKse owner who upgraded to Susvara, and recently spent 3 weeks with SR1a at home... I have to say the wow factor of the Raal immediately blew me away - but after a week - its lack of visceral deep bass kinda soured my love for it. This being flawlessy driven by a modified McIntosh MC225 with essentially a completely redone modern topology.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 9, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,368 of 5,211
Brace yourselves, HE1000 V4 is coming~ :money_mouth:

Link? Or is it just a joke? Also why a V4 without a V3? Unless you're counting the HeKSE as a V3--but that does not seem like what Hifiman intended.

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,371 of 5,211
Hi, guys. My V2’s left channel had died and will be sent back for a replacement. I am seriously tempted to upgrade to the SE but the added cost is quite a bit steep for me. Do you think the improvement is worth the asking price, or still go for the good ol’ V2 and spend the same amount or more for a Lazuli Ref cable? I have a Milo amp, 2Qute dac and a Draug silver cable.

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,372 of 5,211
Hi, guys. My V2’s left channel had died and will be sent back for a replacement. I am seriously tempted to upgrade to the SE but the added cost is quite a bit steep for me. Do you think the improvement is worth the asking price, or still go for the good ol’ V2 and spend the same amount or more for a Lazuli Ref cable? I have a Milo amp, 2Qute dac and a Draug silver cable.

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #1,373 of 5,211

I can think of two different ways of answering your question, an easy way, and a hard way:

Easy Answer: I upgraded from the V1 with v2 pads, and the upgrade cost more than a V2-->SE upgrade will, but I have been very happy with the upgrade. So do I think it was worth the money? Absolutely, but then I am speaking for myself in this, and YMMV

Hard Answer : As much as I love my HeKSE, and believe it sounds better than the V1 with v2 pads, I am unable to determine how things would shake out for you on the 2 different levels, i.e. 1. whether you would find the HeSEs better sounding than your V2, and 2. If so, whether you would personally consider the difference to be worth the asking price.

In other words, because of the differences in personal preferences and conditions of system synergy, I always consider it best to leave such decisions to the buyers themselves, after they have done their own first hand auditioning.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #1,374 of 5,211
My opinion. The v2 and se are both great.

The se will offer a little more defined sound /precision. That means the bottom end is also a bit tighter. But the v2 has a nice laidback element relative to the se.

from memory of my impressions thought the se can be a bit bright up high (or close to it) it is a bit smoother them the v2.

is it worth the $1k? Yes and no.
If you want to bring in these differences of precision and definition at the expense of the laid back touch of the v2 then definitely consider it if you feel spending $1k on this is an attractive indulgence. (Upgrade other gear later). It’s arguably not a $1000 improvement hence why i call it an indulgence

If not then stay happy with what you have.

for me i sometimes miss some of the nature of the hekv2 but I’m probably overall happier having the se especially as i have an empyrean as a complement.

and for me I probably was never going to not “upgrade” out of curiousity so i just gave in to it and upgraded my amp later.

also I bought the the v2 at a good price so i helped that justify the $1k conversion in my own mind.

good luck either way. And these are just my personal experiences from owning these.

ideally, by far, is see if you can demo an se and then you WILL know

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #1,375 of 5,211
Thanks for the wise advices, sahmen and thecrow.
I’ve had the opportunity to listen to the SE on the same shop where I bought my Milo in Singapore, but passed on it when I found put that the termination on it was of a different size from the V2 (I brought my V2 with me).That means that I have to audition it using the stock cables. Knowing that these cables would not do any justice to the capability of the SE (based from my own experience with V1 and V2), I politely declined the offer. Besides, I was super excited to listen my new amp. Sadly, the left channel on my V2 died just a week after. How I wished I’ve tried the SE back the, if only for a few minutes.

Anyway,,, I consider the most important aspect of a particular equipment that I am after is that it should involve me emotionally with the music. It should kept my head bobbing and my toes tapping and my hands swinging and my body swaying like a monkey having a grand good time. I don’t want to scrutinize the performance under the microscope, but rather connect with it. The V2 does it for me.

Which is why I am in a quandary. Does the SE improve on the performance of the V2, but in the process lose the emotion that I so highly value? If the SE sounds clinical or too analytical (cold), then I think I’ll pass again.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,376 of 5,211
I’ve had the opportunity to listen to the SE on the same shop where I bought my Milo in Singapore, but passed on it when I found put that the termination on it was of a different size from the V2 (I brought my V2 with me).That means that I have to audition it using the stock cables. Knowing that these cables would not do any justice to the capability of the SE (based from my own experience with V1 and V2), I politely declined the offer. Besides, I was super excited to listen my new amp. Sadly, the left channel on my V2 died just a week after. How I wished I’ve tried the SE back the, if only for a few minutes.

Anyway,,, I consider the most important aspect of a particular equipment that I am after is that it should involve me emotionally with the music. It should kept my head bobbing and my toes tapping and my hands swinging and my body swaying like a monkey having a grand good time. I don’t want to scrutinize the performance under the microscope, but rather connect with it. The V2 does it for me.

Which is why I am in a quandary. Does the SE improve on the performance of the V2, but in the process lose the emotion that I so highly value? If the SE sounds clinical or too analytical (cold), then I think I’ll pass again.
Sounds like the v2 works really well for you and there’s no benefit or valid /justifiable reason to change and spend $1k

i found the silver draug has a touch too much energy/ brightness up top at times when it comes to the se. And i love the silver draug with all my other hps

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,377 of 5,211

I had the V2 before I upgraded to the SE and to me the improvement is done without making the headphone sounding more clinical or more analytical than the V2. If anything I would say that the SE is more engaging and less clinical sounding than the V2. I believe that if someone really like the sound of the V2 the chance is quite high that they will like the SE a bit more. I can’t of course say for sure that you will find the improvement a good value though.

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #1,378 of 5,211
I would say the V2 is more laid back except for a spike in the treble, I don't have the FR in front of me and i forgot exactly where, but the SE has a little more treble response overall thus making it seem brighter overall. Hope that helps.

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,380 of 5,211
I dont know about the V2 but the improvement from V1 to SE worth every penny , the V1 sounded extra laid back ( almost veiled and lifeless ) when i compared both at the same time ,
, i rank the SE in another level over the V1, not sure if the V2 is as laid back as the V1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back