Hifiman HE1000-SE
Nov 21, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #1,351 of 5,189
I am looking into buying a balanced XLR cable. Does it matter on the dual 3.5mm side if its TS / TRS / TRRS ?
The HE1KSE headphone side connectors are TRS and will remain that way no matter what.
What matters is you're headphone output on the device you're using calls for.
Does it call for a 4-pin XLR, dual 3-pin XLR or TRRS which are all balanced terminations?

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,354 of 5,189
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/
Norne Audio started its black friday discount , which is the only discount the do the whole year
I ordered balanced Draugv3 for my hifiman headphones

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #1,355 of 5,189
Just got my pair yesterday.

Super early impression, they are slightly bright with peaks around 3.8, 6.5 and 13khz, with some EQ they are neutral now.
Also they sound amazing at low volumes. When I had the Ananda this was a struggle, those needed to be played loud enough to sound full and composed.
Also the sub bass is very powerful, like some stereo subwoofers powerful, like they are not even trying, effortless I would say.

The mechanism of attaching the pads are very annoying and troublesome, I hope they change it in the future.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,356 of 5,189

Super early impression, they are slightly bright with peaks around 3.8, 6.5 and 13khz, with some EQ they are neutral now.
Also they sound amazing at low volumes. When I had the Ananda this was a struggle, those needed to be played loud enough to sound full and composed.
Also the sub bass is very powerful, like some stereo subwoofers powerful, like they are not even trying, effortless I would say.

The mechanism of attaching the pads are very annoying and troublesome, I hope they change it in the future.

Interesting. What EQ are u using - and settings? The rings seem to go on if you squeeze them - grab the opposing tabs gently between thumb and forefinger, make sure you have them lined up to the tab holes in the cans, try and expend them in, the second pair the same way but easier since they are lined up and on the can lip, I like to rotate them to one side a bit to make sure all 4 gripped. Then if the hole isn't round, look for the right orientation of the pad (my Mr Speakers Ether Angled are rectangular).

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #1,357 of 5,189

Wait for at leas 150hr burn-in before any judgment , also try to look for another cable ,, it will improve vastly over the stock

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,358 of 5,189
Interesting. What EQ are u using - and settings? The rings seem to go on if you squeeze them - grab the opposing tabs gently between thumb and forefinger, make sure you have them lined up to the tab holes in the cans, try and expend them in, the second pair the same way but easier since they are lined up and on the can lip, I like to rotate them to one side a bit to make sure all 4 gripped. Then if the hole isn't round, look for the right orientation of the pad (my Mr Speakers Ether Angled are rectangular).

I have the latest patch where the cloth are permenant to the drivers and I know the mechanism but it's pretty difficult to me to swap the pads.

These are my settings (Equalizer APO) right now, I tend to change them with time when I feel to
With this EQ they sound neutral with a slight peak around 8k as I always liked :)
Also the sub bass is too powerful so IDK if it's neutral but I like it also :)

eeeeee.png

Wait for at leas 150hr burn-in before any judgment , also try to look for another cable ,, it will improve vastly over the stock

I read some of the discussion about the cable alternatives and they are tooooo expensive to me (400-2000$), if I wanted to spend that kind of money I will go for a better dac and amp.

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #1,359 of 5,189

+1 for both burn-in and especially upgrading the cable. I firmly believe at this price point they should come with a better cable, but they don’t. With an upgraded cable you’ll hear what these cans are truly capable of! You’re really not gonna hear them at anywhere near their best with the stock cable. That’s not an exaggeration.

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,360 of 5,189
I have the latest patch where the cloth are permenant to the drivers and I know the mechanism but it's pretty difficult to me to swap the pads.

I read some of the discussion about the cable alternatives and they are tooooo expensive to me (400-2000$), if I wanted to spend that kind of money I will go for a better dac and amp.

Thanks for the EQ data.

Cables for these? OFC 24 or 26 ga, make them yourself or order up from the less expensive vendors. I got a set of XLR's from Custom Cans in the UK for about $115. Very clean and instrument definition in space well better than the stock junk.

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #1,361 of 5,189
Thanks for the EQ data.

Cables for these? OFC 24 or 26 ga, make them yourself or order up from the less expensive vendors. I got a set of XLR's from Custom Cans in the UK for about $115.

Thanks for the suggestion, their cables look great!.

Very clean and instrument definition in space well better than the stock junk.

Resolve Reviews on YT said the same thing when he EQed his pair, he EQed the mid and upper treble down. So either the stock cable is bright sounding or your cable is darker sounding.

I didn't A/B test this myself.

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,362 of 5,189
Bit the bullet and got an EQ. Had too, these even with mods (pads, fuzzor, cable) stamp holes in my ears. These have so many good/great points they are worth trying to save.

I do get a kick out of the EQ uber alles set. They think if the EQ follows the curve perfectly then they'll be great. No thoughts of bass damping, IM, ringing esp with force over area drivers.

No EQ will ever make a HE-400i sound as good as a HEX v2, HE-500, HEX6SE - nor those sound like each other. Closer - sure, but not the same.

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #1,363 of 5,189
Am I the only one who think the bass is elevated relative to the mids?

I am not sure, some tracks the bass is so right and tight and some tracks it calls attention to itself.

The measurements says it's flat with no elevation. So I guess it's the recording quality of the bass is so exposed with those headphones?.

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #1,364 of 5,189
Bit the bullet and got an EQ. Had too, these even with mods (pads, fuzzor, cable) stamp holes in my ears. These have so many good/great points they are worth trying to save.

I do get a kick out of the EQ uber alles set. They think if the EQ follows the curve perfectly then they'll be great. No thoughts of bass damping, IM, ringing esp with force over area drivers.

No EQ will ever make a HE-400i sound as good as a HEX v2, HE-500, HEX6SE - nor those sound like each other. Closer - sure, but not the same.

I totally agree.

I a/b test them with EQ ON and OFF and the difference is so huge I doubt any components will change them that much, except maybe tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back