Hifiman HE1000-SE
Apr 9, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #991 of 5,215
Let’s say i disagree with people who say headphone cables don’t make a difference. Especially those who have not tried “decent” cables, ie cables that i have tried that i find a difference with. In my opinion to say you can’t tell the difference when you use a norne silver cable is hard to believe - imho

For that same reason i can’t comment on a $3500 cable when i have never heard it

and i certainly won’t criticise someone who enjoys it considering i have never heard it.

I would not want to be hypocritical like that

I wonder what an mscaler with chord’s top end dacs sound like. Can i justify that kind of spend? No - well I don’t think so as i have never heard it. Can i afford it - absolutely no way

That’s my 2c

Peace :)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #992 of 5,215
My biggest problem with this cable is not that it costs $3,500. It is how it is marketed. Like it has been mentioned before, there is no new element or science that will make the a wire a better conductor, at least that I know of. Unless someone has been able to apply quantum physics and move the electrons in a better way, the science isn't there. We have pretty much reached the limit on what cables can do. Now if you tell me that this cable is not being sold as "the best" and instead as a beautifully hand crafted piece of art with the best craftsmanship. I would say more power to you for buying it for that reason and also that it is a great sounding cable to boot. I am sure there are many sleeper and cheaper cables that will perform just as good as this cable. I am not telling anyone how to spend their money, but just offering advice from an audiophile who has seen all of this before for 30 some odd years and to those of you who think because its more expensive, it must sound better.

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #993 of 5,215
We have pretty much reached the limit on what cables can do.
How do you come to this conclusion? Which cable you've tried represents the upper limit in your book?

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #995 of 5,215
How do you come to this conclusion? Which cable you've tried represents the upper limit in your book?

Not a difficult conclusion, you don't have to be a rocket scientist here. They are currently, as far as i know all using pretty much the same elements in differing degrees. Now, let me modify and say there may be a breakthrough in cable tech someday. Maybe even applying some form of cryogenics to make them better? I don't know.

But.....What represents a better cable in the first place? We would have to establish that first!

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #996 of 5,215
Your post explains a lot (about your view of the matter). In fact I'm interested in Danacables' concept because it's rather unique. It's just the high prices that keep me from seriously considering them.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #998 of 5,215
I also auditioned the Hugo TT2 as well (just for fun, I can’t afford it right now) and I’m happy to say that what I experienced was diminishing returns. Did it sound better than the Qutest? Yes it did, but I wasn’t blown away by the difference and to my ears it absolutely wasn’t $4,000 better. In fact, the Qutest + Milo had more energy/presence, which I enjoyed on some tracks. The biggest difference over the Qutest was the music was delivered with more ease, it just felt effortless and the soundstage and imaging were very well defined but still seamless if that makes any sense. Just the whole sound was presented with amazing continuity. Again, would I take the TT2 over the Qutest, definitely, but I’m happy to say the Qutest held up VERY nicely as I went back and forth between the two of them multiple times.

Lastly, I also had a chance to audition the Susvara again and compare it directly against my HEKse with the Qutest/Milo combo. I maintain that the HEKse is the headphone to get, I genuinely prefer it over Susvara. Susvara just lacks a bit of presence to my ears and that along with the challenge of powering it properly and the high price tag, I just don’t know that I would want it. Power wise, just to give a sense, with the HEKse the Milo Volume pot was at 9:00 and with the Susvara the volume pot was at 1:30. I do listen a bit loud and I probably added a little extra volume to Susvara in an effort to bring some more presence to the sound and make it sound more engaging. Many people would probably be fine with Susvara around 12pm on the volume pot. If money were no object, I found the right amp and I primarily listened to acoustic and classical genres then Susvara would be nice to own.

When you were pairing the Susvara against the SE on the TT2, do you know if you were running the TT2 on a high gain for you to then assemble your review?

Apr 10, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #999 of 5,215
When you were pairing the Susvara against the SE on the TT2, do you know if you were running the TT2 on a high gain for you to then assemble your review?

Actually I only listened the Susvara using the Qutest/Milo and Hugo 2/Milo combos. Unfortunately I didn’t try plugging the Susvara into the TT2 for some stupid reason... damn didn’t realize till you just asked this question :frowning2:

Apr 10, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #1,000 of 5,215
Actually I only listened the Susvara using the Qutest/Milo and Hugo 2/Milo combos. Unfortunately I didn’t try plugging the Susvara into the TT2 for some stupid reason... damn didn’t realize till you just asked this question :frowning2:

Hugo2/Milo should be good enough.

But if you're going to compare both, use TT2 on high gain. You can tell Alan you're about to pull the trigger. He should welcome you with open arms.

Apr 10, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #1,001 of 5,215
Hugo2/Milo should be good enough.

But if you're going to compare both, use TT2 on high gain. You can tell Alan you're about to pull the trigger. He should welcome you with open arms.

Alan’s great. He’s helpful whether you’re going to buy something or not. I’ve been down there four times now over the last year just to demo equipment and it’s been incredibly helpful in guiding my purchases.

Apr 10, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #1,003 of 5,215
Alan’s great. He’s helpful whether you’re going to buy something or not. I’ve been down there four times now over the last year just to demo equipment and it’s been incredibly helpful in guiding my purchases.
You demoed the Susvara at The SourceAv? I thought Alan told me they no longer carry Hifiman. Did they pick up the line again?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back