Hifiman HE1000-SE
Nov 24, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3,016 of 5,211
Nevermind.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,018 of 5,211
No problems with mine.

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #3,019 of 5,211
For those who dont necessarily want to swap pads, try these foam inserts. I believe these are the ones you can purchase for Sennheiser HD 650/6xx/660s. These can be used to tame the top end ever so slightly without changing the sound signature.

https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-Rep...78ef2&pd_rd_wg=60VSo&pd_rd_i=B07WN8M3KW&psc=1

Just insert in straight inside the stock pads. The foam disc are just a little smaller in diameter than the size of the HE1000se cups so it fits perfectly.
I tried these out and my first impression was that there was a pretty noticeable bass boost. Not sure how much of the treble was dampened to be honest, but still need to do dedicated comparisons with and without the insert. The other thing is that they don't fit perfectly, the edges of the foam curl a little under the pads. FWIW I'm using the leather/lambskin pads that have been posted here before (shipped from China). Not sure how much of that foam curling actually is contributing to the bass boost, I imagine it may be creating a tighter seal? Regardless of what it does, it's not bad, pretty happy with it in fact. Will keep experimenting with these foam inserts!

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #3,020 of 5,211
Would anyone know if the HE1000 v2 is closer to the overall tuning of the Arya v2?

The technicalities of the HE1000SE is impressive, but it doesn't seem to grab me musically as much as the Arya v2 did. I'll see if it grows on me after a week of listening.

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #3,021 of 5,211
Would anyone know if the HE1000 v2 is closer to the overall tuning of the Arya v2?

The technicalities of the HE1000SE is impressive, but it doesn't seem to grab me musically as much as the Arya v2 did. I'll see if it grows on me after a week of listening.
So if the Arya v2 gabs you musically why not stick with it, or are you just doing some comparisons to hear if you like either the SE or V2 more than the Arya?

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #3,022 of 5,211
So if the Arya v2 gabs you musically why not stick with it, or are you just doing some comparisons to hear if you like either the SE or V2 more than the Arya?
Was looking for an upgrade. I've already sold them...

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #3,023 of 5,211
Hi, I'm evaluating upgrade path from Arya V2. I've opportunity to listen to Susvara and HEkSE on my DAC and AMP yesterday. Now I'm puzzled. HEkSE was OK, like enhanced Arya. But Susvara... I don't know... was lacking bass and stage, everything was placed close to me. Dealer said that Susvara has less than 20h play time on...

I'm reading this thread form begging and see how lot of you former HEkSE users have upgraded form HEkSE to Susvara. Why? :) Thank you for our opinions. Owning flagship HP is shiny attraction for everyone but it must deliver.

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #3,024 of 5,211
I'm a speakers user. I venture into headphone setup and got he1000se. I found it analytical and thin sounding, don't like the sound. Last week, I replaced the stock cables to Kimber (Sony version). Drastic improvement, the sound balance become right, very enjoyable. Cables have big impact on sound characteristic. So many reviews were based on stock cables. If user just change the cables, their description of the headphone will be different.

uc

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #3,025 of 5,211
Hi, I'm evaluating upgrade path from Arya V2. I've opportunity to listen to Susvara and HEkSE on my DAC and AMP yesterday. Now I'm puzzled. HEkSE was OK, like enhanced Arya. But Susvara... I don't know... was lacking bass and stage, everything was placed close to me. Dealer said that Susvara has less than 20h play time on...

I'm reading this thread form begging and see how lot of you former HEkSE users have upgraded form HEkSE to Susvara. Why? :) Thank you for our opinions. Owning flagship HP is shiny attraction for everyone but it must deliver.
Although the specs of the Gustard H20 in your signature looks great on paper, 5W into 64ohm, I would hazard a guess that that's your weakest link in your chain with regards to the Susvara sounding dull. If you could try a different amp to compare? Maybe loan one from your dealer, if you're really interested.

However, I would rather suggest you keep the Arya v2 and look elsewhere for a complimentary headphone to your Arya instead of a replacement with the money you'd likely spend.
2k-3k can get you anything from ZMF Verite Open/Close, Meze Empyrean/Liric, Fostex TH-900/909 etc

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #3,026 of 5,211
I'm a speakers user. I venture into headphone setup and got he1000se. I found it analytical and thin sounding, don't like the sound. Last week, I replaced the stock cables to Kimber (Sony version). Drastic improvement, the sound balance become right, very enjoyable. Cables have big impact on sound characteristic. So many reviews were based on stock cables. If user just change the cables, their description of the headphone will be different.

uc
Can you link the pads down and the cable :) would like to check it out, thanks!

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #3,027 of 5,211
Although the specs of the Gustard H20 in your signature looks great on paper, 5W into 64ohm, I would hazard a guess that that's your weakest link in your chain with regards to the Susvara sounding dull. If you could try a different amp to compare? Maybe loan one from your dealer, if you're really interested.

However, I would rather suggest you keep the Arya v2 and look elsewhere for a complimentary headphone to your Arya instead of a replacement with the money you'd likely spend.
2k-3k can get you anything from ZMF Verite Open/Close, Meze Empyrean/Liric, Fostex TH-900/909 etc
thank you for suggestions. Dealer is more focused on speaker than HP so there was no dedicated HP amp there. :frowning2: One more thing, I'm listening at rather low volumes (Arya 5/64, HEkSE 3/64, Susvara 18/64 volume position) and from other post reading there is consensus that Susvara need to listen on higher volumes to sound right/fully. So maybe that it is. I've not tried higher volumes because I'm not using that much volume.

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #3,028 of 5,211

uc
i found the same to be true: the SE is pretty picky about HP cables. with certain cables, it can sound bright and shouty and fatiguing. better cables can make the SE highly listenable even without EQ. and before the ASR trolls step in to teach me about confirmation bias, “better” does not mean more expensive. i actually preferred a cheap OFC cable to a high end silver wire that cost me literally 10x more. synergy is the key.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #3,030 of 5,211
The Sony cables I'm using is MUC-B30UM1 (length is 3m). Label as engineered with Kimber.

In Singapore normal retail for SGD309 = USD225. I got it at 50% promotional price.

Kimber version is kimber Axios CU. The cable type is similar however Kimber version have better connector. The pricing is 2 to 3 times more.

I recommend you guys can try the Sony cables.

https://www.kimber.com/axios

uc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back