Hifiman HE1000-SE
Oct 31, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #3,001 of 5,211
Yeah, the upgrade program isn't worth it for those who have a fairly new pair as the cost is almost similar to getting new, HFM just charge you the estimated difference between your current pair and the Sus. It may be worth it if you scored a pre-loved pair of HEKSE, but then getting a pre-loved Sus would still be better "value". Caveat is that the Sus could be the older version with the 2.5mm connectors at the cups instead of the new 3.5mm connectors.
They offered me the 3.5mm version but you might get returns or refurbished without knowing which is not the case with the dealer I trust.
Agree, for newer Hekses it’s not worth it.

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #3,002 of 5,211
Does the the clamp force on the HEKse lessen over time? I've had mine(bought new) for about 10 days now, and there's a hotspot just under my jawline that gets painful. I've tried playing with the headband, which is currently set 1 notch up from the smallest hole, but it hasn't helped. Thanks for any advice.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #3,003 of 5,211
Does the the clamp force on the HEKse lessen over time? I've had mine(bought new) for about 10 days now, and there's a hotspot just under my jawline that gets painful. I've tried playing with the headband, which is currently set 1 notch up from the smallest hole, but it hasn't helped. Thanks for any advice.
The clamp force doesn't change much over time, but you can bend the metal arc out to overall lessen clamping force.
I've done this by putting both thumbs on the top of each corner and then pulling the arc apart with fingers.
Requires quite a force to permanently change the arc angle, but start gently and build up pressure until you notice a change.
Only a tiny arc angle change is required to notice a change in clamping force.
Entirely your own risk to try - don't blame me if you overdo it and the arc goes out of shape.

Adjusting the headband height can change the sound characteristics to a surprising degree - more on this shortly

Nov 4, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #3,004 of 5,211
I personally utilized the upgrade program with the HE1000V1 up to the HE1000SE and couldn't be happier. The SE is inherently a brighter headphone, but I find pairing it with a nice tube amp + R2R dac, it tames the highs quite a bit(after some burn-in). Almost reminiscent of the V1 sound, just with more detail. Was fortunate enough to find a good deal on a used pair of Susvaras, now to wait for the Burson Soloist GT to release.

Love that Hifiman is going for 3.5mm connectors now, makes interchanging cables WAY easier, unfortunately, my Susvaras are the 2.5mm configuration. :/

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #3,005 of 5,211
I personally utilized the upgrade program with the HE1000V1 up to the HE1000SE and couldn't be happier. The SE is inherently a brighter headphone, but I find pairing it with a nice tube amp + R2R dac, it tames the highs quite a bit(after some burn-in). Almost reminiscent of the V1 sound, just with more detail. Was fortunate enough to find a good deal on a used pair of Susvaras, now to wait for the Burson Soloist GT to release.

Love that Hifiman is going for 3.5mm connectors now, makes interchanging cables WAY easier, unfortunately, my Susvaras are the 2.5mm configuration. :/
How would you compare the Susvara to the HE1000se on your tube amp and R2R DAC setup? I think several of us are very happy with the HE1000se with a similar chain, and at least for myself, feel often curious about the Susvara. But the suggested amp power requirements have me concerned that it won't sound that much better than the HE1000se which is considerably more efficient.

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #3,006 of 5,211
How would you compare the Susvara to the HE1000se on your tube amp and R2R DAC setup? I think several of us are very happy with the HE1000se with a similar chain, and at least for myself, feel often curious about the Susvara. But the suggested amp power requirements have me concerned that it won't sound that much better than the HE1000se which is considerably more efficient.
Paired with the MHA200, the HE1000SE sounds better solely because of it's efficiency. The MHA200 only has 500mW of output, which is peanuts for what the Susvara needs. I'll do a a more fair comparison once my Burson GT arrives, but so far, underwhelming impressions from the Susvaras and the MHA200 (which is to be expected).

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #3,008 of 5,211

Just following up on my earlier post...either the clamp force has lessened or my head has shrunk, because I'm having much less pain now than I was just a few days ago. Maybe the pads are breaking in? Along with greater comfort, my SE *sound* a lot better, too. They were somewhat harsh and fatiguing out the box. Now they sound smoother on the top end and more controlled in the low end. There's more depth to the soundstage, as well. In terms of technical ability, they're a significant step up from the Arya v2 that I had previously and absolutely loved.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #3,010 of 5,211
Any comparisons to the stealth Arya?
I have both here for review, and actually had posted this in the Arya thread: "Funnily enough I think the new Arya is tuned better than the HEKse, especially in the upper mids and treble. But just about everywhere else the HEKse trounces the Arya Stealth- especially when it comes to speed and resolution, in addition to detail that I have never experienced out of any other set of headphones to date. These can't be improved upon by EQ filters of any kind. The LCD-5 is landing sometime soon here to potentially challenge in the detail regard, but if you have the money then the HEKse with minor EQ can be a true end game, while being easy enough to drive and not really necessitating expensive sources either."

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #3,015 of 5,211
For those who dont necessarily want to swap pads, try these foam inserts. I believe these are the ones you can purchase for Sennheiser HD 650/6xx/660s. These can be used to tame the top end ever so slightly without changing the sound signature.

https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-Rep...78ef2&pd_rd_wg=60VSo&pd_rd_i=B07WN8M3KW&psc=1

Just insert in straight inside the stock pads. The foam disc are just a little smaller in diameter than the size of the HE1000se cups so it fits perfectly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back