Hifiman HE1000-SE
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #2,896 of 5,382
I have recently bought a pair of of HE1000SE with the intention of trying them at home in my setup. I’ve been using some Ananda and HEDD for the last year or so, and I’ve been quite happy with both. In all honesty I find the Ananda a bit boring, but they’re OK when I just want to chill-out. I really love the HEDD on the other hand for critical, active listening.

I also have a pair of Meze Empyrea coming tomorrow, and the idea is to choose one of the two and sell the Ananda.
I’m using a Burson Conductor 3xp as dac/amp.

After a couple of days I have some mixed feelings about the HE1000SE: they clearly share the same DNA with the Ananda, improving on all the parameters, but I’m not convinced I love them.

They are technically exceptional, refined and elegant, very hi-fi, with the best soundstage/imaging I’ve ever heard from an headphone (and I used to own the Stax 009 with a custom tube amplifier). The instruments are solid and the music reproduction is completely transparent. In comparison the HEDD sound a bit veiled and congested, the stage seems restricted to be around the head rather than in front. For example, listening to a string quartet on a standard positioning (from left to right , 1st violin, 2nd violin, viola and cello) the cello seems to be placed behind the right ear and the first violin behind the left one. On the HEKSE the stage is much more natural, like being seated on an Auditorium, rather than being on stage.

But on the other hand I feel the Hifiman are timbrically a bit off: in a few recordings I noticed the right hand on the piano to sound too shiny, dry, with too much focus on the percussive aspect of the instrument…pretty hard to explain unfortunately. Visually, imagine some sun light shining from a window over the right hand side of the piano.
And I noticed the same (but not as dramatic) with woodwinds instruments: flute and clarinet almost seem to be made out of brass, they have a rather annoying timbre.

All in all these are probably minor flaws, but I don’t notice them at all on the HEDD.
I‘ll keep listening to them in the next week and report back if something changes.

If possible, I would try to give the HEKse a fair shot on a good tube amp. I recall a similar issue with timbre when I first owned the HEKse a couple years back on a hybrid tube amp, the Cavalli Liquid Platinum. Could never find a good SS pairing for the HEKse either, at least not as good as a similarly priced tube amp, though others on this thread have had good experiences with certain warmer SS amps it seems. An R2R DAC might also bring some more of that natural timbre back to the the HEKse. Personally a big fan of the Holo Audio house sound. That addicting soundstage and imaging is worth it to at least give the HEKse a chance to get to a sound you prefer!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #2,897 of 5,382
Using a tube amp could have been a viable options a few years ago. Had them in the past, I know they can sound very good, but I personally don’t like that game anymore. And I don’t want to be disrespectful to people who like to tweak their rig, swapping components to find the perfect match, it’s just my personal preference at the moment. It can be addictive and can take away the music enjoyment.
A good solid state is my choice, I might try a separate dac in the future and in that case a R2R could be an option. But after some time in this hobby I know it’s easier to swap headphones if I don’t like them rather than trying to fix them tweaking the rest of the rig.

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #2,898 of 5,382
Using a tube amp could have been a viable options a few years ago. Had them in the past, I know they can sound very good, but I personally don’t like that game anymore. And I don’t want to be disrespectful to people who like to tweak their rig, swapping components to find the perfect match, it’s just my personal preference at the moment. It can be addictive and can take away the music enjoyment.
A good solid state is my choice, I might try a separate dac in the future and in that case a R2R could be an option. But after some time in this hobby I know it’s easier to swap headphones if I don’t like them rather than trying to fix them tweaking the rest of the rig.
I have the HEKse and feel the same way you do, I actually prefer the arya for acoustic and classical

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #2,899 of 5,382
I have recently bought a pair of of HE1000SE with the intention of trying them at home in my setup. I’ve been using some Ananda and HEDD for the last year or so, and I’ve been quite happy with both. In all honesty I find the Ananda a bit boring, but they’re OK when I just want to chill-out. I really love the HEDD on the other hand for critical, active listening.

I also have a pair of Meze Empyrea coming tomorrow, and the idea is to choose one of the two and sell the Ananda.
I’m using a Burson Conductor 3xp as dac/amp.

After a couple of days I have some mixed feelings about the HE1000SE: they clearly share the same DNA with the Ananda, improving on all the parameters, but I’m not convinced I love them.

They are technically exceptional, refined and elegant, very hi-fi, with the best soundstage/imaging I’ve ever heard from an headphone (and I used to own the Stax 009 with a custom tube amplifier). The instruments are solid and the music reproduction is completely transparent. In comparison the HEDD sound a bit veiled and congested, the stage seems restricted to be around the head rather than in front. For example, listening to a string quartet on a standard positioning (from left to right , 1st violin, 2nd violin, viola and cello) the cello seems to be placed behind the right ear and the first violin behind the left one. On the HEKSE the stage is much more natural, like being seated on an Auditorium, rather than being on stage.

But on the other hand I feel the Hifiman are timbrically a bit off: in a few recordings I noticed the right hand on the piano to sound too shiny, dry, with too much focus on the percussive aspect of the instrument…pretty hard to explain unfortunately. Visually, imagine some sun light shining from a window over the right hand side of the piano.
And I noticed the same (but not as dramatic) with woodwinds instruments: flute and clarinet almost seem to be made out of brass, they have a rather annoying timbre.

All in all these are probably minor flaws, but I don’t notice them at all on the HEDD.
I‘ll keep listening to them in the next week and report back if something changes.

Agree with your assessment here. However, the slight "weird timbre" on mid to treble area, while it's noticeable, but not become annoying for me (at least in my set up).

The airiness of SE has a drawback though. For me it creates bite/impact of each notes become less dense, become soft, and lack of "dimension" when compare to other headphones in this price range (Utopia, Diana Phi, or ZMF Verite).

HE1000SE do many things right, produce pleasing sound that easy to relax with, but there are 1-2 things that may not suit me or other people. I do realise these things are the characters of the headphone itself, that make HE1000 SE unique and I'm sure many able to enjoy it.

The soundstage and airy feeling of HE1000 SE always impress me no matter what though!

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #2,900 of 5,382
I don't hear any issues with body, tone or timbre on my HEKse but I've only listened in my own chain (tubes and R2R) and once I heard it, my chain was set and I sold off my stable of headphones. Having said that, due to physical differences in our ears and the shape of our heads, and of course, differing hearing sensitivities to certain audio frequencies, different component chains and preferences, all individual subjective comments are totally valid and I believe the comments and reports from other users in this thread. In terms of user subjective preferences, more than any other audio component headphones will by far have the most variation from user to user IMHO.

Also, we must all keep in mind none of us know whether or not our audio chains are delivering sonics that are accurate as compared to the original source. We are all just taking our best guess here. So when people (including me) report that some frequency or sonic aspect is perfect or deficient that may or may not be true as we have no way of objectively confirming these impressions.

The best we can do is to read all professional and consumer reviews, research and then develop a list of headphone candidates to demo in your own system. Don't be surprised or disappointed if you don't agree with the consensus of other users. Have confidence in your own views and impressions and simply try, demo, buy, sell and compare until you find your own personal sonic nirvana. Once you've arrived at your destination, just sit back and enjoy the music (and of course if you find enjoyment in continuing to tinker with other gear, keep tinkering, nothing wrong at all with that).

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #2,901 of 5,382
He1000se sounded great with my Yggdrasil and custom tube amp. There's body, texture and timbre is great. On my latest tube amp, bass is even shockingly good. There will always be differing opinions which doesn't worry me. Everyone is entitled to their preference.

I'm even having a slight preference now on He1000se over LCD4 and they are both mine.

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #2,902 of 5,382
I am very happy with my He1000se as well - from my tube Auris HA2-SF. IMO it takes a bit of time to enjoy/appreciate this headphone, the more I use it the more I like it. It has lots of body, the clarity is simply outstanding and its bass is plentiful for my taste. I have it side by side with my ZMF Verite Closed, which is my favorite HP out there, and each time I compare them I am reminded how different they are but at the same time how enjoyable the difference can be.
I tend to enjoy the He1000se more with classical, instrumental & vocal/jazz music.
I hope to receive my Holo Spring 3 R2R DAC in the next few days ... will see if I can hear a significant difference with the He1000se compared to my actual Chord Qutest.
I used to have an LCD4 but when the VC arrived.... I was not troubled to let the LCD4 go.
In any case all of these HP and simply a joy to listen to.... I always have the "... one more song issue..." at the end of the day.

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #2,903 of 5,382
I hope to receive my Holo Spring 3 R2R DAC in the next few days ... will see if I can hear a significant difference with the He1000se compared to my actual Chord Qutest.
Congratz on the Holo Spring 3. The Spring3 KTE and HE1000v2 I'm working synergize nicely. I imagine that your SE will too.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #2,904 of 5,382
Agree, the HE1000se sounds polite in comparison with other headphones with more bite but I eventually surrendered to the beauty that’s in this politeness.

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,906 of 5,382
I tried the TT2 with the back XLR out but I prefer the GSX mini as it gives a bit more warmth/body. Of course there’s a minimal loss of resolution but I am happy to trade that in.

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #2,907 of 5,382
I tried the TT2 with the back XLR out but I prefer the GSX mini as it gives a bit more warmth/body. Of course there’s a minimal loss of resolution but I am happy to trade that in.
Ah to add body, got it. Thanks!

Yeah clearly nothing wrong with the minimal loss of transparency in exchange to create tone that closer to our preference.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #2,908 of 5,382
Just bought an HE 1000SE. It will be driven by a Luxman p-750u.
I'm looking to replace my Arya.
I should have my head examined because I'm LOVING the Arya with the Luxman.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #2,909 of 5,382
I decided to get a susvara and when it came to make the decision of which headphone to sell I decided on the he1000, I use and enjoy the Arya way more so I don't blame you for feeling that way

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,910 of 5,382
I auditioned the Luxman at a hi-end store a few years ago. I imagine it will be a wonderful pairing w/ HEKse.

I'd buy a 750u if I could find a 110V unit for a reasonable price -- seriously, ding the US market for an extra $2k just 'cuz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back