Hifiman HE1000-SE
Aug 12, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,881 of 5,239
I almost never listen to my V2s with my Sony TA ZH1ES because i feel that lacks a bit of current to make them slam like my Pro ican and WA5 does.

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #2,883 of 5,239
I currently have a HifiMan HE1000SE being driven by an iFi iCan Pro, which is in turn being driven by a Topping DX3 Pro.

I have also tried the iFi Pro iDSD on home trial as a DAC but I couldn't hear sufficient improvement in sound quality that justified the £2250 price jump. Same for the Susvara. Got it on home trial but did not think it justified the £2100 difference. (That's a LCD X and Focal Clear!)

The DX3 Pro is £150, but it sounds amazing.

The iCan, at £1799, is an absolutely fantastic amp. I love it.

It has a motorised volume control, so when you press the volume up or down on the (very tiny and light) remote, the volume dial actually physically moves remotely. It's really cool to use!

The bass boost is much better than any digital EQ I've tried. And I've tried a lot of them.

The HE1000SE, priced at £2999, sounds absolutely sublime and has everything I could possibly want my music to sound like. Some reviewers complained about an upper treble blast but they just haven't listened to it for long enough. After a while, once I got used to the sound, I realised that all that extra treble space was allowing for cymbals to be reproduced in a very accurate way. As a drummer, I think the way the HE1000SE reproduces drums is extremely accurate and very enjoyable to listen to.

I have had this setup for about 6 months.

Previous to that I ran (still run!) a HifiMan Sundara (2020 Revision), driven by the same Topping DX3 Pro. First into an iFi Zen Can and then into the iCan Pro. They sound great through either amp, but the big brother iCan Pro really powers them to their fullest expression.

Now to the main event.

It doesn't matter what song I listen to through the HE1000SE (and iCan Pro and DX3 Pro), I just can't imagine how I could be listening to to it better.

This to say that I realised a few months ago that I have achieved my personal endgame. I simply cannot imagine how the music could be reproduced to me in a better way.

This is not an invitation for someone to suggest some different gear that could be better.

I'm not resistant to the possibility that there's a setup out there that could sound better to me. In fact, that's almost a certainty.

It's to say that at the moment I simply can't imagine it.

And if I can't imagine it, then I feel I have achieved my personal endgame.

----------------------------

For now.

Obviously.

----------------------------

One more thing - always ask for (at least) 10% off whenever buying expensive gear. You will always get it.

What amp did you use for the susvara? I wonder if it was the pro ican if it wasn't powerful enough?

Aug 15, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #2,884 of 5,239
Just got my warranty replacement HE-1000SE in the mail from Hifiman, and it‘s like starting over again after two-and-a-half years with the old pair. The leather earpads are fully fluffed out, the leather headband isn’t worn, the size adjustment slider is rigid and easily locks in place, and there’s no play in the headphone cable connections. Feels good! Can’t wait to break this new pair in. I am going to baby the hell out of them. :)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #2,885 of 5,239
Hi, a new HeKse user here! - I bought it with 1 year of use so I guess it will not need any break in. I am using it off my Tube amp Auris HA2-SF and I am very happy with it. I compare it to my Verite Closed which has been my default headphone for a while and I enjoy the difference. It really takes a while to be able to enjoy a different HP when you are so used to one specific sound signature, but the difference the HeKse brings compared to the VC is very enjoyable. I enjoy it particularly with classical music and vocals where the extra clarity brings forward the voices and instruments in a new way to me. Piano, Violins (the 4 Seasons from Vivaldi) come out so clear that is a real treat to play them on the HeKse. I must say that on first impressions it sounded a bit thin compared to the VC but after you get more used to the sound you appreciate its specific characteristics.
I am no expert in soundstage but I feel like with the HeKse I am sitting 3-5 rows from the performance compared to 1st row seat on the VC. It is not better or worse... just different IMO.
I am surprised on how much more power the HeKse needs from the Amp compared to the VC. When I switch from one to the other I need to increase the volume on the HeKse a lot to match the volume I had on the VC.
It is a real treat to be able to have these kind of headphones.... so I plan now to enjoy them as much as I can!!!

Aug 15, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #2,886 of 5,239
Just got my warranty replacement HE-1000SE in the mail from Hifiman, and it‘s like starting over again after two-and-a-half years with the old pair. The leather earpads are fully fluffed out, the leather headband isn’t worn, the size adjustment slider is rigid and easily locks in place, and there’s no play in the headphone cable connections. Feels good! Can’t wait to break this new pair in. I am going to baby the hell out of them. :)
Out of curiosity, how did your previous pair die? I have about a year left of warranty, so would be nice to either preserve it for many years, or somehow get a warranty replacement before it ends. Obviously the latter would be ideal!

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #2,887 of 5,239
Out of curiosity, how did your previous pair die? I have about a year left of warranty, so would be nice to either preserve it for many years, or somehow get a warranty replacement before it ends. Obviously the latter would be ideal!
The sound for the left channel on my HE-1000SE started to cut out intermittently about six months ago (regardless of which headphone cable I used) and I kept telling myself it wasn’t a big deal, but it got worse over time. I had to sit very still with the headphones in a certain position or else I’d lose the sound. It was very frustrating. An unfortunate accident finally caused the left channel to fail. At that point, I had no choice other then to send them back. I guess the lesson here is to send them back as soon as there’s a problem.

Customer service was very gracious and the new pair is wonderful. I’m very happy I was forced to do something, or else I may have lived with a half-functional pair for the rest of their natural life.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #2,888 of 5,239
I am quite pleased with how the new HE-1000SE is breaking in. The soundstage is just so much bigger than the Diana V2 that held me over until I got the replacement. I still hope someday to acquire a Susvara, but with all these new TOTL headphones popping up lately, maybe that won’t be my endgame by the time I can afford the Susvara…or maybe Hifiman will have released Susvara v2 by that point.

When I upgraded my headphone amp, I had a choice to put money into upgrading the rest of the system to match or to put it towards headphones, and I chose system upgrades. I don’t regret my decision at all, but I do wish I had a TOTL headphone to go with my fully upgraded system.

In the meantime, I’m happy with my setup and my HE-1000SE.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,889 of 5,239
2021_0823_17344600.jpg

Got loaned HE1000 SE from my friend. Last time I heard it around 2 years ago. It still sound as good as I remember!

Airy presentation, BIG Imaging, bright yet silky smooth treble, melodious vocality, with deep rumble bass. Relax character that great for just sit back and enjoy the music.

Not produce the hardest impact or the most dense tone out there, but each high end headphones always have their own strength and weakness that create a special character to appreciate.

p.s: HE1000 SE also noticeably more friendly with various DAC/Amp compare to something like Diana Phi or LCD-4.

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #2,892 of 5,239
Pairs very well with both amps, my favorite being Odyssey. Specifically pick those 2 headphones because they are a great contrast. Abyss 1266 TC will be coming for a home demo soon so that would be interesting to see how that would fit in.

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #2,894 of 5,239
I have recently bought a pair of of HE1000SE with the intention of trying them at home in my setup. I’ve been using some Ananda and HEDD for the last year or so, and I’ve been quite happy with both. In all honesty I find the Ananda a bit boring, but they’re OK when I just want to chill-out. I really love the HEDD on the other hand for critical, active listening.

I also have a pair of Meze Empyrea coming tomorrow, and the idea is to choose one of the two and sell the Ananda.
I’m using a Burson Conductor 3xp as dac/amp.

After a couple of days I have some mixed feelings about the HE1000SE: they clearly share the same DNA with the Ananda, improving on all the parameters, but I’m not convinced I love them.

They are technically exceptional, refined and elegant, very hi-fi, with the best soundstage/imaging I’ve ever heard from an headphone (and I used to own the Stax 009 with a custom tube amplifier). The instruments are solid and the music reproduction is completely transparent. In comparison the HEDD sound a bit veiled and congested, the stage seems restricted to be around the head rather than in front. For example, listening to a string quartet on a standard positioning (from left to right , 1st violin, 2nd violin, viola and cello) the cello seems to be placed behind the right ear and the first violin behind the left one. On the HEKSE the stage is much more natural, like being seated on an Auditorium, rather than being on stage.

But on the other hand I feel the Hifiman are timbrically a bit off: in a few recordings I noticed the right hand on the piano to sound too shiny, dry, with too much focus on the percussive aspect of the instrument…pretty hard to explain unfortunately. Visually, imagine some sun light shining from a window over the right hand side of the piano.
And I noticed the same (but not as dramatic) with woodwinds instruments: flute and clarinet almost seem to be made out of brass, they have a rather annoying timbre.

All in all these are probably minor flaws, but I don’t notice them at all on the HEDD.
I‘ll keep listening to them in the next week and report back if something changes.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,895 of 5,239
I have recently bought a pair of of HE1000SE with the intention of trying them at home in my setup. I’ve been using some Ananda and HEDD for the last year or so, and I’ve been quite happy with both. In all honesty I find the Ananda a bit boring, but they’re OK when I just want to chill-out. I really love the HEDD on the other hand for critical, active listening.

I also have a pair of Meze Empyrea coming tomorrow, and the idea is to choose one of the two and sell the Ananda.
I’m using a Burson Conductor 3xp as dac/amp.

After a couple of days I have some mixed feelings about the HE1000SE: they clearly share the same DNA with the Ananda, improving on all the parameters, but I’m not convinced I love them.

They are technically exceptional, refined and elegant, very hi-fi, with the best soundstage/imaging I’ve ever heard from an headphone (and I used to own the Stax 009 with a custom tube amplifier). The instruments are solid and the music reproduction is completely transparent. In comparison the HEDD sound a bit veiled and congested, the stage seems restricted to be around the head rather than in front. For example, listening to a string quartet on a standard positioning (from left to right , 1st violin, 2nd violin, viola and cello) the cello seems to be placed behind the right ear and the first violin behind the left one. On the HEKSE the stage is much more natural, like being seated on an Auditorium, rather than being on stage.

But on the other hand I feel the Hifiman are timbrically a bit off: in a few recordings I noticed the right hand on the piano to sound too shiny, dry, with too much focus on the percussive aspect of the instrument…pretty hard to explain unfortunately. Visually, imagine some sun light shining from a window over the right hand side of the piano.
And I noticed the same (but not as dramatic) with woodwinds instruments: flute and clarinet almost seem to be made out of brass, they have a rather annoying timbre.

All in all these are probably minor flaws, but I don’t notice them at all on the HEDD.
I‘ll keep listening to them in the next week and report back if something changes.
Yeah same for me. While it's technically really good i didnt like the timbre and tonality. In the end i think i prefer Ananda over Empyrean and HE1000SE. Not because it's better just personal taste. But it's quite hard to accept that because you think you have to like the more expensive models better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back