Hifiman HE1000-SE
May 9, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,701 of 5,216
HE1000se is a fantastic headphone, but punch and slam are the sonic aspects I found them a bit lacking in compared to my other headphones ie. HE6 and LCD-4.

I agree. If you want punch and slam, get this ....

IMG_2404.jpg

having said that, I still love the He1000se. It's that good.
IMG_2377.jpg

May 9, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #2,702 of 5,216
I agree. If you want punch and slam, get this ....

having said that, I still love the He1000se. It's that good.
...or this (I normally use the T+A HA200 DAC amp, but today feeling like being a bit more home-mobile, thus the Shanling M30). I will hopefully test and compare the HEKse to both Solitaire P and P-SE in two weeks time. But I am especially hyped about the M30 and HEKse pairing...

1620564370241.jpeg

May 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #2,704 of 5,216
that’s awesome! I can’t stand sitting still though. Have you tried the 4z?

:beyersmile: I on the other hand would only sit down when using any full size open back headphones... even the light weight He1000se. Though I spend a lot of my time listening to music in my study, I would not do that when I am out and about. I don't even use an IEM or portable when I go out. When I go out, I just want to connect with real life so I will put aside my music gear.

On a trip to Tokyo in 2010, on the Metro trains, I notice just about everyone had their earbuds to their ears and staring intendedly on their mobile phones or daps. I marvel that the world has changed so much that there's no more interactions with others when you go out.

However when I'm home after work and having done all the necessities (like dinner and a bit of workouts) I need my alone time with my music , headphones, tube amps....

I've gone through (owning them) LCD2f, LCD3f, LCD-X and now LCD4. I read about the 4z and also the MX but for the last trip up Audeze's mountain, it has to be the LCD4 for me. Maybe one day I might get to hear a 4z but if I don't I'm not too concerned. Last night a friend who has never heard the LCD4 came over but he has heard the other lower range of Audeze planar headphones. After he had spend some time with the LCD4, he told me that he now understands why it's the most expensive of Audeze line up (well that honor is now shared by the 4z) because it's easily the best sounding.

May 9, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,705 of 5,216
Here's the rub..... I've owned He1000se since the beginning of this year and LCD4 have just arrived less than 2 weeks ago. A 300b amp has also arrived in that time. Before that I have a string of amps - tube amps and solid states. I don't talk much about my dac because it's just the boring old Yggdrasil :) which I will never upgrade and a newly arrived NAD M51 that I wonder how quickly progress has been made in the world of dacs that this technological wonder that debut in 2012 is now selling for a misery $700 in almost new condition.

Anyway I was just having a talk with my son the other night when we both spend some time with the He1000se and LCD4 with Destiny (300b amp). We both agree that both headphones are just marvellous in their own ways and they are different no doubt about that. However we concluded that the He1000se sounded better with Destiny..... than LCD4 ... not by a lot and also really depends on what songs we are listening to. On some genres, LCD4 definitely would be my go to headphone.

What HiFiMan has produced here is a big achievement and I think the He1000se is amazing and short of considering Susvara next, I'm pretty much done.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,706 of 5,216
:beyersmile: I on the other hand would only sit down when using any full size open back headphones... even the light weight He1000se. Though I spend a lot of my time listening to music in my study, I would not do that when I am out and about. I don't even use an IEM or portable when I go out. When I go out, I just want to connect with real life so I will put aside my music gear.

On a trip to Tokyo in 2010, on the Metro trains, I notice just about everyone had their earbuds to their ears and staring intendedly on their mobile phones or daps. I marvel that the world has changed so much that there's no more interactions with others when you go out.

However when I'm home after work and having done all the necessities (like dinner and a bit of workouts) I need my alone time with my music , headphones, tube amps....

I've gone through (owning them) LCD2f, LCD3f, LCD-X and now LCD4. I read about the 4z and also the MX but for the last trip up Audeze's mountain, it has to be the LCD4 for me. Maybe one day I might get to hear a 4z but if I don't I'm not too concerned. Last night a friend who has never heard the LCD4 came over but he has heard the other lower range of Audeze planar headphones. After he had spend some time with the LCD4, he told me that he now understands why it's the most expensive of Audeze line up (well that honor is now shared by the 4z) because it's easily the best sounding.
That’s too bad people are such zombies. My lifestyle is a bit different. I don’t personally know anyone that’s into headphones. Just me in my own world. i could see their purpose on a loud subway though

for me I kinda pace around my house like a weirdo but only focus on the music. Being able to take the stereo field with you is quite the experience to me. I don’t consider music an in the background thing.I play guitar and (try to) record music, so when I’m sitting, I’m usually working on audio on my studio room. Being in perfect stereo equilateral triangle on my hedd 07, I’d still rather be moving. Odd, I know. From my perspective, I don’t see how people can get fully immersed into music any other way. But I know it’s probably a state dependent learning thing. Listening to CD players with headphones when I was a kid. My programming.

right now it’s still between hekse, Meze, and lcd4. I think it’s cool audeze let’s you send it back if you don’t like but would never dishonor them by a garbage amp/dac so I need to be more creative there

May 9, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2,707 of 5,216
right now it’s still between hekse, Meze, and lcd4.

Won't be an easy choice there because I love all 3 headphones and I've 2 of them now.

About 2 months or more ago, I went to a small 'Meet' locally and I get to hear this combo - Ampandsound Encore (poor man's 300b amp so the dealer tells me :) ) and Meze Empyrean. Nice soothing slight warmth for a winter's chill is how I will describe it. It's tone like this that makes it sound natural, like you're in a log cabin with the fireplace going and snow is falling outside. With a sip of whiskey and life couldn't get much better.

However Empyrean has to contend with He1000se and LCD4 and this is where the eventual winner depends on individuals. Sadly these are not the only headphones that grab my attention. There are more. At the same Meet, I also listen to Dan Clarke Ether Flow 2 - see picture below. A lighter, airier tone but good and the headphone is light and very well constructed. Far too many headphones I want to get hold of but I have only one head.

Having said that, I'm still of the opinion that I make the right choice of having He1000se and LCD4.

IMG_1836.jpgIMG_1835 (1).jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #2,708 of 5,216
Having said that, I'm still of the opinion that I make the right choice of having He1000se and LCD4.

I wish I could meet up and try different setups. All I can go off is word of mouth.

so after reading what you said about the Meze, in the metal forum someone said they are too laid back and slow for metal music. Would you agree with that? Makes me think maybe that individual didn’t have a linear or precise amp maybe?

I always though the planar magnetic technology was specific to being fast

May 9, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #2,710 of 5,216
Sonicfade, system synergy is important as everyone knows. Personal preference plays a big part here. Which is why getting someone's opinion is not necessary the best because we could have totally different preference. There's nothing like trying it out yourself but unfortunately it's not possible for you.

I'm not really into metal. I do love hard rock done slow, like Metallica's 'Nothing Else Matters' :)

Strictly my opinion - with metal you don't want a bright sounding system because that will do canal damage to your auditory senses. :) a bit leaning on the warm side here is good and even though the Meze has less details than Hekse and LCD4, I wouldn't call it lacking. Just easier on the high ends and a more comfortable organic tone.

Whether planar magnetic or dynamic headphones are faster.. I'm still on the fence. I still have the original HD800 and you cannot accuse that of being slow. :ksc75smile:

May 10, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #2,711 of 5,216
I wish I could meet up and try different setups. All I can go off is word of mouth.

so after reading what you said about the Meze, in the metal forum someone said they are too laid back and slow for metal music. Would you agree with that? Makes me think maybe that individual didn’t have a linear or precise amp maybe?

I always though the planar magnetic technology was specific to being fast
I am not a real metal-head but listened to and still listen to some, like Nile, Necrophagist, Mercyful Fate, Cynic, Aghora and some old Megadeth. When you consider recordings of these: Last album of Nile has bloated bass and more prominent cymbals, Necrophagist Epitaph (one of my favorite albums ever) is a bit two dimensional and veiled, Cynic's Focus album is similar to Epitaph but Traced in Air (remix) has close up cymbals which might sound a bit of in-your-face and is very clear, Mercyful Fate albums are all great :) .

All these albums have different mastering engineers behind with different equipment, different targets. so, one might be OK with one setup (headphone + amp + DAC) and one might not be. So there is no "one fits all like a glove" HP.

People in such cases would recommend different HPs or different amps. You might end up chasing something that you cannot catch. Recommending different amps or HPs is in the end for altering the sound., which is a way of EQ'ing. Many here would suggest you to stay away from EQ'ing and stay with the "original recording", but at the same time suggest to alter the sound by changing your amp, your HP or even your cable. This is a pseudo-perfectionism.

While buying a HP, I would always keep the EQ option in mind and use it whenever I feel like, and experiment with it to find out what I like. The HPs you mention are all capable HPs and would respond to EQ'ing very well. I would also add another extremely good HP to the list: D8000 Pro.

Second thing that is important is how you would like to listen to. Not just now, but maybe in the future. Would you want a HP that can be driven only from a desktop setup, or would you like to listen to on the move (even at home) sometimes? That leaves out the LCD-4. I wouldn't choose that, because I don't want to be stuck to my desk, and sometimes listen from my DAP while moving around. All of HEKse, Empyrean and D8000 Pro are easy to drive but scales well.

And then comes the comfort. Again, I would leave out the LCD-4 as it is for me far too heavy. As much as I love the speed and the base tonality of D8000 Pro, if you want comfort with long term (several hours) listening, it might not be the best option. But otherwise would be at the top of my list for its technicalities. HEKse and Empyrean are both very comfortable HPs.

I might be wrong here, but a far as I remember, HEKse has a taller image and better stage compared to Empyrean, which is why I would choose the HEKse over Empyrean, but I compared them long time ago. I also value bass "quality" a lot, which I had the impression that it is a bit better with HEKse.

The rest, you can always EQ.

I personally use daily T+A Solitaire P which has Susvara level of detail but can be driven well enough from a DAP. It has "the" bass without subbass roll off I want. I like well textured tickling e-bass sound. Then there is the Solitaire P-SE which I also love (which is now with my wife, and I am getting the HEKse to replace that). These HPs are great but they have a larger image space a bit away from your ears, which might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Now, let's listen to some music...

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #2,712 of 5,216
perfect stereo equilateral triangle on my hedd 07
...just as a side thing: How do you like the HEDD 07s? Is it MK2? I had KRK V8S4 connected to my Axe FX but they are too powerful and have a slight hiss. Are the 07s hiss-free? I previousl had Type 20s as our room listening setup and I hugely loved them but for our listening distance they were not suitable. Now I am selling the V8S4 for something like 07 or even 05.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #2,713 of 5,216
...just as a side thing: How do you like the HEDD 07s? Is it MK2? I had KRK V8S4 connected to my Axe FX but they are too powerful and have a slight hiss. Are the 07s hiss-free? I previousl had Type 20s as our room listening setup and I hugely loved them but for our listening distance they were not suitable. Now I am selling the V8S4 for something like 07 or even 05.
mk 1 and I like them. I think they do a great job at not being fatiguing. For mixing and recording, I would have went with something maybe a bit nastier which could be a trade off because my ears (used to be) are sensitive to high frequencies. But if you want speakers that won’t kill your ears and will give you more fidelity, they are great. Absolutely hiss free

i got a bunch of acoustic panels from GIK acoustics and to be honest; without sound treatment, you’re not hearing anything properly anyways. Reflections, comb filtering, standing waves.. what a nightmare. This is why I like headphones so much

May 10, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #2,714 of 5,216
I am not a real metal-head but listened to and still listen to some, like Nile, Necrophagist, Mercyful Fate, Cynic, Aghora and some old Megadeth. When you consider recordings of these: Last album of Nile has bloated bass and more prominent cymbals, Necrophagist Epitaph (one of my favorite albums ever) is a bit two dimensional and veiled, Cynic's Focus album is similar to Epitaph but Traced in Air (remix) has close up cymbals which might sound a bit of in-your-face and is very clear, Mercyful Fate albums are all great :) .

All these albums have different mastering engineers behind with different equipment, different targets. so, one might be OK with one setup (headphone + amp + DAC) and one might not be. So there is no "one fits all like a glove" HP.

People in such cases would recommend different HPs or different amps. You might end up chasing something that you cannot catch. Recommending different amps or HPs is in the end for altering the sound., which is a way of EQ'ing. Many here would suggest you to stay away from EQ'ing and stay with the "original recording", but at the same time suggest to alter the sound by changing your amp, your HP or even your cable. This is a pseudo-perfectionism.

While buying a HP, I would always keep the EQ option in mind and use it whenever I feel like, and experiment with it to find out what I like. The HPs you mention are all capable HPs and would respond to EQ'ing very well. I would also add another extremely good HP to the list: D8000 Pro.

Second thing that is important is how you would like to listen to. Not just now, but maybe in the future. Would you want a HP that can be driven only from a desktop setup, or would you like to listen to on the move (even at home) sometimes? That leaves out the LCD-4. I wouldn't choose that, because I don't want to be stuck to my desk, and sometimes listen from my DAP while moving around. All of HEKse, Empyrean and D8000 Pro are easy to drive but scales well.

And then comes the comfort. Again, I would leave out the LCD-4 as it is for me far too heavy. As much as I love the speed and the base tonality of D8000 Pro, if you want comfort with long term (several hours) listening, it might not be the best option. But otherwise would be at the top of my list for its technicalities. HEKse and Empyrean are both very comfortable HPs.

I might be wrong here, but a far as I remember, HEKse has a taller image and better stage compared to Empyrean, which is why I would choose the HEKse over Empyrean, but I compared them long time ago. I also value bass "quality" a lot, which I had the impression that it is a bit better with HEKse.

The rest, you can always EQ.

I personally use daily T+A Solitaire P which has Susvara level of detail but can be driven well enough from a DAP. It has "the" bass without subbass roll off I want. I like well textured tickling e-bass sound. Then there is the Solitaire P-SE which I also love (which is now with my wife, and I am getting the HEKse to replace that). These HPs are great but they have a larger image space a bit away from your ears, which might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Now, let's listen to some music...

not a real metal-head!? That is a very eclectic discography you just provided there. I will have to revisit Epitaph. Eyal Levi swears by that album in the way it was produced and I think Bob Katz mastered that one.

which leads to my next point. You were mentioning the LCD 4 but I’m thinking about the 4z (easier to drive but still needs some juice) which seems to be getting polarized reviews (bob katz had good things to say I think). There’s also the LCD 24 I’m learning about.

my uses are specifically portable. Gotta be able to walk around, so a DAP is required which is making this whole search very hard to just wing it

May 10, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,715 of 5,216
not a real metal-head!? That is a very eclectic discography you just provided there. I will have to revisit Epitaph. Eyal Levi swears by that album in the way it was produced and I think Bob Katz mastered that one.

which leads to my next point. You were mentioning the LCD 4 but I’m thinking about the 4z (easier to drive but still needs some juice) which seems to be getting polarized reviews (bob katz had good things to say I think). There’s also the LCD 24 I’m learning about.

my uses are specifically portable. Gotta be able to walk around, so a DAP is required which is making this whole search very hard to just wing it
You’ve been kind of jumping around. You really need to just audition some of these for yourself. Then make a choice based on your usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back