HIFIMAN HE-R10 Planar & Dynamic - Quick Impressions
Aug 15, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 106
Like I wrote in the main post, I don’t think the R10P could replace the Susvara. Closed-back and Open-back are two different animals for different use cases. When properly driven (but such a high entry barrier in this area...) the Susvara still provide a more natural sound stage and overall a more realistic reproduction. For something that’s totally tethered to your desktop system the Susvara reign supreme but don’t even think about moving around in the room, not to mention bring them with you on the road. On the other hand the R10P could be enjoyed right next to someone in the office or at home while delivering a closer, slightly less spacious sound with accurate instrument timbre. I don’t know if the slightly aggressive treble could be tame a bit in the production version but if it could I’d be quite happily use them along with my Susvara.

Gotcha, thank you for the elaboration! :)

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #17 of 106
[Update] I have relayed my findings of the slight boomy bass of the R10D to HiFiMAN when I returned the samples. Today while busy with the headphones show in Shanghai, they told me today that they could hear the issue and that none of the other samples of the R10D had the same issue. They would send this pair back to the factory for further inspection.

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #21 of 106
Can’t imagine when it is!
they should have paid you for your findings as well
Well if they did, we would have labelled him as a MoT :p.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #23 of 106
In the late 1980s, Sony engineers went all-out to make a statement headphone, the MDR-R10. Too bad you'll probably never get to hear it. Production started in 1989, and at $2,500 a pair at that time, it was the most expensive headphone in the world. Unfortunately, SONY stop manufacturing this masterpiece 30 years ago. This is a huge loss for the entire headphones industry.

Sony did make a few other headphones -- MDR-CD3000, 1991, MDR-E888 in 1995, MDR-CD1700 in 1996, and the MDR-CD2000 in 2000 -- but those headphones never attained the stature of the MDR-R10. No, it's never just one thing that makes the great ones great, it's the whole design.

Until now, Hifiman, inspired by R10 design, bring this world-class audiophile headphone back to new life again with Hifiman Susvara Diaphragm and Bluetooth capability.

Sound Quality Of HiFiMAN HE-R10
Extremely good, this is the closed back version of the Susvara. It does an incredible job of capturing every aspect of the performance. Incredible soundstage and separation thanks to R10's huge wood cup (customizable). Kick drums thump right in your ears, while snare drums have a satisfying snap, and the sub-bass frequencies rumble through your brain. Vocals are revealing and musical. Acoustic instruments sound natural and open. Horns cut through the mix without sounding sharp or harsh. Crescendos hit with power and emotion, while quiet moments are clear and personal. From pop to hard rock, and from classical to jazz, it is unequivocally the best sounding headphones on earth.

hxdx80785zm51.jpg

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #24 of 106
In the late 1980s, Sony engineers went all-out to make a statement headphone, the MDR-R10. Too bad you'll probably never get to hear it. Production started in 1989, and at $2,500 a pair at that time, it was the most expensive headphone in the world. Unfortunately, SONY stop manufacturing this masterpiece 30 years ago. This is a huge loss for the entire headphones industry.

Sony did make a few other headphones -- MDR-CD3000, 1991, MDR-E888 in 1995, MDR-CD1700 in 1996, and the MDR-CD2000 in 2000 -- but those headphones never attained the stature of the MDR-R10. No, it's never just one thing that makes the great ones great, it's the whole design.

Until now, Hifiman, inspired by R10 design, bring this world-class audiophile headphone back to new life again with Hifiman Susvara Diaphragm and Bluetooth capability.

Sound Quality Of HiFiMAN HE-R10
Extremely good, this is the closed back version of the Susvara. It does an incredible job of capturing every aspect of the performance. Incredible soundstage and separation thanks to R10's huge wood cup (customizable). Kick drums thump right in your ears, while snare drums have a satisfying snap, and the sub-bass frequencies rumble through your brain. Vocals are revealing and musical. Acoustic instruments sound natural and open. Horns cut through the mix without sounding sharp or harsh. Crescendos hit with power and emotion, while quiet moments are clear and personal. From pop to hard rock, and from classical to jazz, it is unequivocally the best sounding headphones on earth.

hxdx80785zm51.jpg

"bring this world-class audiophile headphone back to new life"

If it doesn't have a bio-cellulose diaphragm,its not a R10 so no, its not bringing anything back to new life.

Putting horseshoes on a common donkey doesn't make it an Arabian thoroughbred.

Signed:

Sony Bio-Cellulose Driver owner.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #25 of 106
From pop to hard rock, and from classical to jazz, it is unequivocally the best sounding headphones on earth.

So you've heard EVERY single headphone model on earth to state what you are calling a fact by using the world unequivocally? This also ignores the fact headphone sound quality is subjective so what you claim is the "best" may not be the best to anyone else...

This entire write-up reads like some PR piece coming from HiFiMan with the style it is written. Definitely doesn't read like a legit impression/review.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #26 of 106
From pop to hard rock, and from classical to jazz, it is unequivocally the best sounding headphones on earth.
Could you please make a comparison with TOTL headphones from Mars, Jupiter and Venus? Much appreciated!

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #28 of 106
So you've heard EVERY single headphone model on earth to state what you are calling a fact by using the world unequivocally? This also ignores the fact headphone sound quality is subjective so what you claim is the "best" may not be the best to anyone else...

This entire write-up reads like some PR piece coming from HiFiMan with the style it is written. Definitely doesn't read like a legit impression/review.
I think this is a promo of the new Hifiman HE-R10, not a subjective impressions.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #29 of 106
So is this thing actually available so that we can expect reviews in the not too distant future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back