Hifiman HE-6 vs Audeze LCD-3
Jul 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #121 of 410
Is that next chance going to be at a meet or will you try to get private time with them?

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #122 of 410
Quote:
Is that next chance going to be at a meet or will you try to get private time with them?

I wont be able to do any sort of comparison till probably ChiUniFi 6.5, but ill definitely be keeping my eyes out then. But there are still more impressions of that exact comparison back quite a few pages in the main HE-6 thread. Thats what clued me into maybe that being the cause and not just the amps being different.

I just wanted to let everyone know that it might not have been the Dark Star's fault

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #125 of 410
I've heard both many times and haven't voted.  
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #128 of 410
I spent some time with a couple head fiers today. We all have plenty of listening time on both the 6 and various 2.1, 2.2 LCDs. I felt the 6s were not being driven to their potential with a headphone amp. We had a B22 and an upgraded Singlepower Extreme Platinum. While the B22 had a very resolving detail, the volume knob was at 3 with no room for reserves. Because of that, the HE fell a bit under it's potential. Once the 6s were on the speaker amps, we just turned off everything else and enjoyed the music. The LCDs sound amazing in the low end but don't carry all the performance a well amped 6 does. That's in our humble opinions.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #129 of 410
Quote:
I spent some time with a couple head fiers today. We all have plenty of listening time on both the 6 and various 2.1, 2.2 LCDs. I felt the 6s were not being driven to their potential with a headphone amp. We had a B22 and an upgraded Singlepower Extreme Platinum. While the B22 had a very resolving detail, the volume knob was at 3 with no room for reserves. Because of that, the HE fell a bit under it's potential. Once the 6s were on the speaker amps, we just turned off everything else and enjoyed the music. The LCDs sound amazing in the low end but don't carry all the performance a well amped 6 does. That's in our humble opinions.

Agreed it was a grand ol time listneing to the HE-6s on several speaker amps, all of which powered them very well. And it turns out that it most likely was the Dark Star that i didnt enjoy, because both of the HE-6s that we had present had the SMC connectors in place, and i never heard any of the high end nasties nor the last of low end impact that i heard with the Dark Star. These things really need speaker amps. Even a 4 board dual power supply B22 was running out of steam and felt constrained with the 6s.

and i also feel we should mention that the source we were using was a Emotiva XDA-1 DAC

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #130 of 410
That doesn't sound like the Beta22 was running out of steam. All it shows is that that particular Beta had too low a gain. My Beta takes the HE6 to ear-splitting volumes at 12 o clock.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #131 of 410
Quote:
That doesn't sound like the Beta22 was running out of steam. All it shows is that that particular Beta had too low a gain. My Beta takes the HE6 to ear-splitting volumes at 12 o clock.

That is definitely not the case, the amp also went to ear splitting levels, it just couldn't hold its composure at, high though not earsplitting levels, into the HE-6s. Of which all 3 speaker amps we tried did. The b22 is an amazing amp, it performs beautifully with the LCD-2s, but its just not quite enough for the HE-6s.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #132 of 410
Quote:

It was a B24, which is an AMB design that was built by Compuryan here in Dayton.

and yes its a monster of an amp, being somewhere between 1500-2000 just in parts. completely balanced/differential/complimentary design.

Hi SoupRKnowva

That amb b24 amp you heard driving the HE-6's; were the phones connected directly to the binding posts or was there a HE-adpater mediating between them?

I'm keen to know because I'm just about to finish building a 150w per channel power amp for my speakers that should be on a similar level to the b24 (it's a SKA gb150d in dual mono configuration) and just yesterday bought a pair of HE-6's (will do away with the connectors hardwire a homebuilt cable to the drivers).

Would love to be able to use this amp to drive them, without risk of damaging them. I'd rather do without the HE-adapter as in my mind it isn't going to help the sound one bit. Is this wise? Cheers

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #133 of 410
Hi SoupRKnowva

That amb b24 amp you heard driving the HE-6's; were the phones connected directly to the binding posts or was there a HE-adpater mediating between them?

I'm keen to know because I'm just about to finish building a 150w per channel power amp for my speakers that should be on a similar level to the b24 (it's a SKA gb150d in dual mono configuration) and just yesterday bought a pair of HE-6's (will do away with the connectors hardwire a homebuilt cable to the drivers).

Would love to be able to use this amp to drive them, without risk of damaging them. I'd rather do without the HE-adapter as in my mind it isn't going to help the sound one bit. Is this wise? Cheers

Yes, you can connect it directly to the posts, no need for the adapter. Start with the volume all the way down and slowly increase it until you find the right listening volume. I've used a 250W /ch amp with my HE-6s and it was fine.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #134 of 410
Quote:

The gain is set at 8X  The Beta sounds really good with the HE-6.  It's just that the speaker amp gives you more of a soundstage and it opened the HE-6s up more.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #135 of 410
The gain is set at 8X  The Beta sounds really good with the HE-6.  It's just that the speaker amp gives you more of a soundstage and it opened the HE-6s up more.

Plus probably better bass control, at least that's what I've noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back