HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #9,916 of 21,868
  Can the  Pathos Classic One MKIII  be used as mono blocks?  The design is a pretty small one - correct?

Also Yes - I agree with how you described the HE-6 in relation to all the other headphones.  The T1 is a pretty good all rounder as well, but the mids on the T1 can't touch the mids on the HE-6.  

I dislike the connectors they use as well.  I'm glad I went the Hardwire route.  IMO it gives it a more refined sound.

Yup - I sold all my other dynamic headphones.  Still got the ADs and just got a pair of HE-5s in the house.

Yes, on the manual it can be set to be used as monoblocks, although I haven't tried it.
I should say thank you for convincing me to purchase this state-of-the-art headphone. I agree with everything you've said!

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #9,917 of 21,868
Reading the impressions of the recent London meet lots were impressed by the HE-6 Pioneer SX1980 pairing
Pioneer has been quality and especially their top end and Elite models. Not all their units sound the same. Just because it can drive speakers doesn't mean they all have the same characteristics.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #9,918 of 21,868
Pioneer has been quality and especially their top end and Elite models. Not all their units sound the same. Just because it can drive speakers doesn't mean they all have the same characteristics.

That SX1980 is hard to find and a classic one to snag!

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #9,919 of 21,868
Just out of curiosity, are there supposed to be words "Made in China" written in white on one of the slidable earcup holders of the HE-6? My HE-6 has it, and I'm just wondering because while I know it is made in China, I've never seen a photo of HE-6 with those words written on it.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #9,920 of 21,868
  Can the  Pathos Classic One MKIII  be used as mono blocks?  The design is a pretty small one - correct?

Also Yes - I agree with how you described the HE-6 in relation to all the other headphones.  The T1 is a pretty good all rounder as well, but the mids on the T1 can't touch the mids on the HE-6.  

I dislike the connectors they use as well.  I'm glad I went the Hardwire route.  IMO it gives it a more refined sound.

Yup - I sold all my other dynamic headphones.  Still got the ADs and just got a pair of HE-5s in the house.

How much have I missed in this thread. When did you sell all them? Including the HD800? Rocking into the Stax world I see...

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #9,921 of 21,868
Can't say I have, but I'm usually waiting in the dark for my listening sessions to start. Where to look when the lights are up? 

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #9,923 of 21,868
  Can't say I have, but I'm usually waiting in the dark for my listening sessions to start. Where to look when the lights are up? 

As you can see, there are words "Made in China" written in white on one of the earcup holders. I'm not bothered by the fact that it is made in China - I know for a fact that Hifiman headphones are made in China - but what bothers me is that none of the pictures of HE-6 I saw on the Internet has the words "Made in China" written right there.

Just to clarify, is this normal? Did you guys also have the words "Made in China" written there when you purchased your HE-6 new? The writings are not engraved on the metal, but seems to be painted... somewhat poorly.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #9,924 of 21,868

As you can see, there are words "Made in China" written in white on one of the earcup holders. I'm not bothered by the fact that it is made in China - I know for a fact that Hifiman headphones are made in China - but what bothers me is that none of the pictures of HE-6 I saw on the Internet has the words "Made in China" written right there.

Just to clarify, is this normal? Did you guys also have the words "Made in China" written there when you purchased your HE-6 new? The writings are not engraved on the metal, but seems to be painted... somewhat poorly.

eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif

As much as I paid for my cans - they could have been gifted - doesn't matter. The script ruins the aesthetic of the cans for me. My pair is script free but if they weren't, I'd either remove or return.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #9,926 of 21,868

Not on mine either.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #9,927 of 21,868

Not on mine either.

I contacted my dealer, and he told me that this is probably due to QC error.
He told me to try removing it with thinner, which worked. The words are now completely wiped out.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #9,928 of 21,868

I contacted my dealer, and he told me that this is probably due to QC error.
He told me to try removing it with thinner, which worked. The words are now completely wiped out.

That's the first time i  had ever seen that. It must have been just a QC error. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #9,929 of 21,868
  thinking of trying a speaker amp for the HE-6, any endgame solutions?

cause seems like the GSX Mk2 is good but it feels like the HE-6 could still use a little more power. right now i'm in love with the way the HE-6 presents bass, i like it even more than the T1, its the first headphone i can say that about. its a similar decay to it, but even tighter and stronger, very tight and focused bass that has a visceral feel to it, most speaker like bass presentation ive heard. basically take the T1's bass signature, add more tightness, punch, and impact, and thats the HE-6 bass. 

I used a Pass Aleph 3 and 5 and now a Threshold T50. IMO the Aleph 3 and the T50 are great with the HE-6.
Here is one Aleph 3 in Audiogon. It is a little over priced but you might bring it down.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-pass-labs-aleph-3-stereo-power-amplifier-2013-10-25-amplifiers-80020--2

If don't have a preamp then I would go with a Pioneer SX series vintage receiver.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #9,930 of 21,868

I used a Pass Aleph 3 and 5 and now a Threshold T50. IMO the Aleph 3 and the T50 are great with the HE-6.
Here is one Aleph 3 in Audiogon. It is a little over priced but you might bring it down.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-pass-labs-aleph-3-stereo-power-amplifier-2013-10-25-amplifiers-80020--2

If don't have a preamp then I would go with a Pioneer SX series vintage receiver.

the GSX mk2 has a preamp doesn''t it?

and i plan on rebuying WA2 which is tube pre-amp

oh it says 30W into 8 ohms, how much power is that for HE-6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back